Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 12:21:23 PM EDT
Anyone know where a good resource is for replacement sites / screws?
It appears  the little cap screw thats along the rear of my model 66-2 is stripped out
The one that allows you to adjust for elevation, not really sure which piece is stripped to be honest.
Also is the actual site suppose to be arched  / slighted bent, or should it be as straight as a straight edge?
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#1]
The sight leaf should be fairly straight.

Usually, the rear sight elevation screw is the problem, BUT I've seen cases of "Billy Bob" managing to strip the frame threads.

New rear sight parts are readily available from:

Brownell's  www.brownells.com

Gun Parts Corporation  www.e-gunparts.com

Direct from S&W

If you intend to replace the entire sight, keep in mind that there are the Old style sights and the New style.
Your 66-2 will need an OLD style.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:23:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I sorta thought the leaf was suppose to be somewhat level.
After wrapping it in a shop rag, and a little pressure in the vise it  is now straight.
I think its the upper (black) cap screw thats stripped and not the lower little stud that slips in right above the hammer.
For now I went ahead and put locktight on the little screw that hols the other end down ( in front of the barrel)
If its where I want it to be accuracy wise, will the one screw with blue locktight hold it?
Thank you
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#3]
To be clear:  Is the stripped screw the elevation screw just in front of the sight blade, OR is it the tiny screw near the very front of the grooved leaf that actually holds the sight on the frame?

If it's the small leaf screw, and it is stripped, even with Locktite I doubt that it will hold the sight on, and if/when it pops out, you may loose the sight, and it may cause damage to the frame's threads.

I suggest just cutting to the chase and buying a new leaf screw.

Brownell's sell the screw for a whopping $1.58.
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/schematics/schemmfg.aspx?schemid=608&m=15&mn=Smith+%26+Wesson%c2%ae&model=K-Frame+66+

Part Number 39.

In the long run, this will save you some real grief.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#4]
It is the elevation screw.
Which I beleive is part number 37.
Is that all I will need?
Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:52:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Since it's going to cost some shipping anyway, spring for a few extra bucks to save more possible charges and buy the square nut, part #38.

Due to possible (probable) fumble fingers, be smart, also buy the tiny "C" clip, part #41.

If you order from Brownell's, be sure to request a free catalog.  It's one of the top gunners resources around.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I know.
I used to recommend pulling the stop on defense guns, and I had a bin full of the screws that I could use to replace dinked-up rear sight screws.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#8]
dfariswheel

Thanks for the help, and the link to brownells.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top