Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 8:41:26 PM EDT
i have a 17, with xo night sights.  seems like the poi is off bad.  im talking like 4-5 inches at 10 yards.  any ideas on what to do?  i was shooting with winny white box and umc 250 count box ammo.  gun is clean, but i bought it used.  i am hoping that it isnt the sights as i really like them.

brett
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
im talking like 4-5 inches at 10 yards.

4-5 inches what?

High, low, to the right, to the left?  4-5 inch groups?

Did you have this issue prior to putting the sights on the pistol?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:38:51 AM EDT
[#2]
You mean XS Big Dot sights? If so, review the sight picture and sight alignment instructions that came with the sights pertaining to different distances to target.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#3]
sorry about that, it is shooting low......and i have no instructions for the sights.  i bought the pistol used and the sights were one of the major selling points

brett
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I had trouble adapting to my Ameriglo Operators at first until I figured it out. At 25 yd, I'm using the "DOT" in the front post as the point of aim/point of impact. It gives a crappy sight picture, but it's definitely NOT the same as standard rifle sights. In other words, where on an AR-15/AK your POI should be the tip of the front post, on a Glock 17, it should be the CENTER of the front post.

That said, you should be able to just sight off the front post up to 25 yd and guarantee a hit onto the target w/o using the rear sights. I tried that at 25 yd and it works fairly well for speed shooting.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#5]
i guess it could have been my sight picture.  i was dotting the i and putting the dot over the point of aim.

i will hopefully get some more range time soon and try to figure something out

Brett
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:41:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i guess it could have been my sight picture.  i was dotting the i and putting the dot over the point of aim.

i will hopefully get some more range time soon and try to figure something out

Brett

Try this, rather than use the DOT as the point of aim, move the DOT slightly above the point of aim. Try it and see what happens.

Also if you're shooting LOW and to the left (right handed shooter), you're probably jerking the trigger or anticipating the recoil/shot. As a beginner, I make that mistake BIG time and notice that many new shooters do it as well. When dryfiring, the front sight post should not move at all. At the range, insert snap caps randomly to simulate malfunctions. If you flinch when firing a snap cap, continue practicing until you no longer flinch when firing a randomly placed snap cap.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#7]
keep shooting it, I promise, it will get better with shooting. glocks are funny to get use to, but they work perfect and do there job very well. I shoot mine a lot and am very good at what I hit @ 20yards.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:15:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I hear that! I've heard reports of guys with about many years experience shooting pistols (Revolvers, 1911s, SIGs, HKs, etc...) and still shot low/left with their new Glock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top