Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2004 6:46:19 AM EDT
Getting pretty frustrated with my build. I have excellent groups at 25 feet offhand, but no matter what I do she shoots about 3" left at that distance (even more out farther). I have the front sight drifted as far as I dare go. Anyone know and reasons or tricks(I'm fairly new to pistolry)? With those kind of groups I just wish they'd print over the front sight, so I wouldn't have to worry about holdiver if I ever had to use it in a real life and death situation.
P.S. she shoots closer to P.O.A. if I JERK the trigger, but I don't think that's an acceptable way for me to get it to print where I want.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:48:03 AM EDT
[#1]
have you shot this from a sandbag to confirm it's the pistol and not "technique" ?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:49:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Two questions
1) Have you shot it from a rest or vise to confirm it's not something you're doing?

2) Have you had someone else shoot it to confirm it's not something you're doing?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:11:21 AM EDT
[#3]
get yerself an adjustible rear sight, and call it good
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

ditto
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ditto

No, don't to that.

If the gun, or your shooting, are that out of whack you need to figure out why.  Especially if you built it yourself as you implied in your post.  Putting a band-aid on it in the form of an adjustable sight is not the answer.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#6]
It shoots a tad left, and not just for myself. My .32 cal model 1922 and the prewar colt 1911A1 with the fixed front blades all shoot P.O.A., so that's why I'm frustrated. I have Chip McCormick front and rear sights on it, and as I said the front is drifted as far left as I dare. With holdover I'm making good hits at 30 yards so maybe I'll have to live with it.For what it's worth magtech ammo seems to hit closer to center than the cci blazer stuff, seems a little hotter too. Maybe I'm just down to finding a load the gun likes.
Thanks for the replies guys.

P.S., I call it a "KIT" cause I built it but it's all R.I.A. parts except for the sights and the recoill buffer I installed. Got 150 rounds through it so far without a single hiccup, and itt groups consistently (just not directly over the front sight blade! Oh well... can't have everything can you?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey!

What brand barrel you using? I had bought a FAC .45 ACP barrel once that was bent! I had the same problem with it shooting off to the left. When I removed the barrel I checked it with a 6" machinist's square and low and behold it was warped!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 12:31:10 PM EDT
[#9]

This is for a righthand shooter...

EDIT: Sorry read down further and noticed it was pistol specific....

MT
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a BHP and it never was on, always shot right and low no matter what. (factory bought) I just learned how to shot it with the defective POA, and hoped if I ever lost it and was shot at with it, they'd miss.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#11]
How's the wear on the muzzle end of the barrel where it contacts the bushing?

I had a Springfield M1911a1Mil. that must have had a flat spot at 7 o'clock. There was an area about ½" of perfect bluing there while the rest of the muzzle showed wear. This gun always shot a bit left and low.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Where is the rear sight?  I'll agree the front shouldn't have to drift that far but if everything measures center, everything specs out, bushing, barrel, and fit are good, you are left with moving the rear sight.  I'm assuming everything has been measured and you have shot several loads from a rest, when I read ..."but no matter what I do"...  Swap barrels yet?  hope you work it out
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#13]
it's not off THAT bad. I'm planning on getting a .400 cor-bon barrel for it anyway. I can't adjust the rear, it's a McCormick low profile type, not driftable. For $50 it can stay right where it is!

The only hard wear spot on the barrel is 1/4" back at the 12 o'clock position, but it's on the other 1911 as well so I figure it's gotta be normal. I don't think the barrel is warped, but I'll check with my machinist's square for chuckles just to see. Thanks guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top