Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2008 2:53:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/22/2008 4:28:28 PM EST by XD9-G19]
Forgive me, Im still kinda new on this whole 1911 stuff.
I can get a real good deal onthis but really want one with a light rail, I also dont want to build on from the ground up because im not familiar with this piece of equipment. therefore my question is are most 1911 parts interchangeable and if so, will i be able to convert all of the springfield parts on to this reciever made by essex.

Thank You in advance
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 2:59:06 PM EST
save yourself the hassle and buy the gun with all the features you want...cry once. No sense in taking the springer apart to put them on an Essex frame. 1911 parts are really not drop in, they need to be installed by hand sometimes. Although you might think that since they work on the springer they should fit just fine in the Essex frame, you might discover that the dimensions might be off...thus you have a bigger project than what you bargained for. I say buy the springer and learn to love the rail or keep shopping.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 4:19:52 PM EST
Look for a used Kimber TLE, is my advice.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 4:48:41 PM EST
Originally Posted By ken_mays:
Look for a used Kimber TLE, is my advice.

+1
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 5:55:40 PM EST
Or a Springfield MC Operator, as they also have a rail. They're floating around on the used market for $850-$1000. I agree with the above statement about not switching parts over to an Essex frame. It will be more trouble and frustration than its worth.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 7:56:32 PM EST
Why would you go from a proven forged receiver to a noname cast one? 1911s have all kinds of frame rail dimensions. A Colt slide may or may not fit a Les Baer. Similarly, a Springer slide may or may not fit an Essex frame. it may fit with extreme slop or excesssive tightness, or it may not fit at all. It is not worth the trouble.

If you wanna go cheap, get the MC Operator. There you'll have a quality frame and slide, with room to grow.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 10:48:01 PM EST
Forgive me Im new to the 1911 stuff, thats why Im just asking questions, and I would get the springfield 1911 with the rail on it, but that one will break my wallet unlike this one, I get it for the officer price, I like the 4in barrel, but would like the rail also, but I guess for that price no rail will have to do.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 6:39:14 PM EST
I can understand budget constraints, but if you are really set on having a rail you'll be better off waiting to buy until you can afford one with a rail. Otherwise you'll buy the Champion, and in 3 months you'll be trying to sell it to buy the Operator. Yes I'm speaking from experience.

If you can get the Champion with an LE discount, ask if they can get you the Operator and give you an LE price on it. I used to work for a place that did LE pricing on SA's, and I'm sure there are others out there that will do the same.
Top Top