Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 1:26:53 PM EDT
Question in the title really...

It would also be nice if someone could explain how it works.  I am assuming there are just some extra moving parts which sink some of the force that would otherwise go into the frame of the gun...but more details would be great.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Question in the title really...

It would also be nice if someone could explain how it works.  I am assuming there are just some extra moving parts which sink some of the force that would otherwise go into the frame of the gun...but more details would be great.

The fullsize USPs have a dual recoil spring, one inside the other, that acts to reduce recoil. The compact USPs have a plastic buffer that surrounds the recoil spring, like a ShokBuff on a 1911, that cushions the rearward slide motion and reduces the felt recoil impulse.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#2]
As stated above.... Just ignore H&K's ad copy - it is not the engineering marvel it leads you to believe.   In fact, the USP series bore axis is relatively high, which tends to increase the muzzle flip a bit.    Nothing awful or that can't be dealt with, but some folks don't like them for this reason.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:31:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I had not thought to consider the torque generated by the height of the bore axis...that is something to consider.  Do the sig/glock also use any kind of similar recoil spring?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Bore height and how it relates to your interaction with the pistol is completely subjective. I can't recommend enough shooting the pistols you're interested in before you decide.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:49:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
As stated above.... Just ignore H&K's ad copy - it is not the engineering marvel it leads you to believe.   In fact, the USP series bore axis is relatively high, which tends to increase the muzzle flip a bit.    Nothing awful or that can't be dealt with, but some folks don't like them for this reason.

I agree with this, on top of that the slide is like a tank driving back and forth on the frame it's big and heavy I still love everything about it though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I own a full size .45 and a compact 9mm.  The full size is great to shoot.  Better shooting than my previous .45s (G21 and Ruger).  I don't think that  little peice of plastic on the compacts make much difference.  My 9mm clearly has more felt recoil than the full size .45.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree with this, on top of that the slide is like a tank driving back and forth on the frame it's big and heavy I still love everything about it though.

I tried a USP .45, compaired to my colt or glock increased the muzzle flip was noticable.  The slide felt like a iron weight on rollers sliding back and forth when firing.  I like the pistol otherwise, but would not buy one because of this sensation.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I just ordered a fullsize USP .45 full frame  Var. 2.  Should be coming in around 15 Nov.  Didn't know the USP had a dual recoil spring, but the concept I know dates back at least to the M2 .50.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top