Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 10:21:50 PM EDT
well, now that i'm going to be living in an area that allows one to carry a concealed weapon, i'm starting to re-think my arsenal, and looking into possibly getting a new carry piece.

the only thing i have suitable for carry right now is my p232... while it's comfortable even in a cheap uncle mike's clip on iwb holster, it's heavy for its size, an has a fairly weak cartridge.  maybe good for occasions, but not all.

so, i need a new idea.  there are a few restrictions, of course.

first of all, i'd like to find the "one gun".  ok, maybe not 100% realistic, but something i can be happy carrying 90%+ of the time.  there are a lot of times, especially for work, i'm wearing at least a tucked in shirt, like a polo, or a dress shirt, that sorta thing.  and, i'd prefer to carry iwb, instead of thunderwear or belly bands, that kinda stuff.

i also am looking for something with at least a 9mm cartridge.  i am getting close to being just as fast and accurate at 7 yards with my 226/9 as with my 6" u22 neos (still a lot of work to do though).  single stack is probably actually a preference, simply due to size constraints.  i'm open to suggestion, but here's the top current contenders:

-sig 239
-sig 229
-hk p2000sk
-springfield micro compact/ultra compact
-kimber ultra carry II
-springfield xd sc

haven't decided on caliber yet.  anything 1911 would be .45, but the others are still up for negotiations.  i've been meaning to look more into performance, and try shooting the little ones in the larger calibers to see how fast/manageable they are for me.

the 1911's and hk are a little bit cost-prohibitive.  but, i've always trusted my hk's 100%, and i am probably more confident with speed in a 1911 (for the large cartridge)... although i did end up shooting faster with my .45 expert than my .40 uspf on a plate rack (the expert seems to have a lot of push over the .40's snap.. so i guess it makes me think i'm a lot slower with it).

glocks are OUT.  i recognize they are a reasonably-priced, extremely durable pistol.  but, the grip angle kills me.  i'd be shooting out all the street lights.  not only that, but i've tried to handle the subcompact 9mm, and it made me feel like i was hanging on for dear life (really terrible grip, unlike the fs).  i just can't get a good hold on them for some reason

anyways, i'm fairly concerned about the size of the larger guns, including the 1911's.  obviously, the p239 would probably be the best 24/7 model... but it's a tough choice, and i appreciate any help on my winded post
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:56:35 PM EDT
[#1]
CZP01
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:21:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Out of all the pistols I have owned, if I had to have one to do all things, it would be a Colt 1911 Commander or something like it. The Commander is still enough to shoot targets as well as a 5 inch, but small enough to carry.  The 45 acp round has loads from 165 to 230 and a bunch of types of hollowpoints and target loads.  

My second choice would be a 9mm in the size of a Glock 19 or Springfield XD-9. Again, small enough to carry, big enough to be a range gun.  9mm is cheaper to shoot than any other center fire pistol round if you don't reload. There are many brands and types of 9mm loads out there with good hollowpoint selections.  And like the 45 acp, they are on every shelf in every Wallmart, gun shop, etc.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
CZP01

+1.  except that if you aren't going to use the rail just get the cz75 compact.  they are essentially the exact same thing but the p01 has a rail and for concealed carry i doubt you will be mounting a light/laser on it.  also the 75 is about half the price of a sig or hk (new not used).
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#4]
glock 26 9mm sub compact

Springfield XD9 sub compact 9mm

both are small but reliable
Both will accept the larger capacity mags of their big brothers Glock17/XD9 fullsize
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#5]
glock 36 is small 45 single stack, and most importantly a glock...........nuf said
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll toss the P225 into the fray.

single stack, reliable, 9mm fairly small.

it's main downsides are cost, availibility and weight.

I've never shot the springfields but they look like they would be a good alternative to the glocks.. the grip angle doesn't look quite as drastic.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I carry either my P239 in 40 or my P220 in 45. Either one works. If I were you since you already have a P226 in 9mm then I would spends some money on IWB and pancakes holsters and use it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:55:13 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks for the info all, several good points to ponder.

i really like the cz75's, i'll take a closer look at their compacts.  certainly no need for a rail, but i'll browse their offerings.

225 sounds interesting... it's not made anymore, is it?  might see if i can get my hands on one (to try fit).

again, NOT bashing on glocks in the least, but a subcompact glock is not going to work for me, at all.  i would have to completely change my training, and that's not taking into account that the subcompact glock simply does not fit my hand at all.  i think glocks are fine guns, and available at a great price.  unfortunately, just not for me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:57:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I carry either my P239 in 40 or my P220 in 45. Either one works. If I were you since you already have a P226 in 9mm then I would spends some money on IWB and pancakes holsters and use it.

i think the size+weight would be a problem.  i would probably carry my uspf if it weren't.  the p226 is my competition gun at the moment (as lame as that may sound), so i'd rather keep it seperate.

at work i have to wear business casual, at least a tucked-in polo+dockers.  i just don't think a full size would work that well

of course, on casual days or cold weather, that would be fine.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:39:45 AM EDT
[#10]
From your list it sounds like the compact 1911's from Kimber or SA would suit you the best. I would also suggest a Kel tek p3at for the pocket or my favorite, a J-frame on the ankle.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#11]
A 9mm P239 is the way to go for what your stated needs are.  You are well versed in Sig handling, so you will pick it right up.  P239's are sweet little guns.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#13]
My EDC is a Para Ordnance C7.45 LDA, which is a single stack .45 that is the size of the Colt Officers Model. It is very small and flat and easy to carry. You might also want to check out the Kahr line of pistols too:

www.kahr.com/front.html

They make some pistols that might work for your situation.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Try a S&W Model 642 Airweight using Speer Gold Dot 135gr. +P GDHP in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#15]
thanks for the replies all.. a lot of good suggestions!

not that it necesarily makes it _easier_... but it does help
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So where did you move to as your profile still shows Nebraska? Sorry to loose a fellow Nebraskan gun owner.

i've moved to the portland, or area.  staying in washington right now, but haven't decided between WA or OR yet.  been up here a little over a month, and haven't 'settled' yet - i.e. don't have a residence of my own yet (and still technically NE resident).  i had to at least try it elsewhere, i've lived my whole life in nebraska.

i do miss the people on the range back home, they were really an awesome group(s) of people.  i hope to visit from time to time, and take part in the festivities.

in fact, i hope to come back this summer, and would love to make it to another subgun match, that was freaking sweet :)  might have to get your help to build a nice sbr 9mm ar like a certain m16/9mm i know of.

can't say i won't ever come back either, but so far i like it out here!

since my pistol purchase permit is still technically valid, think i can still come back and buy guns this summer? lol
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#18]
You called it a gat. Go sit in the corner and think about what you said!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

bitch, please.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:10:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

bitch, please.

C'mon, they don't have gangstas in NE.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

bitch, please.

C'mon, they don't have gangstas in NE.

sure they do!  grand island is like the drug traffic hub of the country, and omaha is full of ganstas! they have mac10's! i saw a video about it!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
CZP01

+1.  except that if you aren't going to use the rail just get the cz75 compact.  they are essentially the exact same thing but the p01 has a rail and for concealed carry i doubt you will be mounting a light/laser on it.  also the 75 is about half the price of a sig or hk (new not used).

I believe the P01 is lighter as far as weight. Although the compact with a manual saftey would be great because you could carry cocked and locked if you wanted and if you did not want the 9mm you could go with the .40 in the compact. The 40P is still only about $300 I think.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:34:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
CZP01

I believe the P01 is lighter as far as weight. Although the compact with a manual saftey would be great because you could carry cocked and locked if you wanted and if you did not want the 9mm you could go with the .40 in the compact. The 40P is still only about $300 I think.

hrm... these cz's sound more intriguing all the time.  i really like the cz75, and damn near bought one.  can't remember what i got instead, was probably my p226.

i still would really like a 75, too.  i'll have to check these out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:07:49 AM EDT
[#25]
I have owned a lot of pistols and CZs have become my favorite even over Glock and slightly more than my 1911s but only slightly LOL.  My 97B will out shoot my Springfields but I do not have any experiance with the high end 1911s like custom stuff. My CZs are every bit as reliable as my G19 and twice as accurate as my Glock. You can send CZs off for custom work and still have less than what you would have in some production guns with no work. However all of my CZs are stock and shoot fine.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Glock fo tay with home boyz site's If your professional enough.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Since you said, "waist band", I'm gathering that weight is a big consideration. I'm going to offer:

1. My personal favorite, Sig P239. Advantage is that you're already experienced with the Sig system.

2. Glock 36 .45. The only Glock that has a chance of supplanting my P239.

3. The 'peerless' Glock G26 in 9mm. Just don't drink the KoolAid.

4. Kel tec P11 in 9x19 and add the belt clip to it.

wganz

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't think that anyone has mentioned the Kahr line yet.  So I'll recommend the P9 Covert.

You can pretty much carry it any way you want to belt holster, pocket holster, belly band, Thunderwear, ankle holster... what ever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top