Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 7:36:11 AM EDT
Well, the deal fell through on my friend's 226 that had less than 100 rounds fired through it.  He was able to sell it for $745, while I was not able to make an offer that came even close.  So, yesterday, I did like many of you and ordered a CPO Sig P226 in 9mm from James at Ordnance Outfitters.  It feels like Christmas already...just waiting to find that present "under the tree" (in the mail)   :)

I will need to purchase several things to get me up to speed however.  Unfortunately, I was unable to get a CPO with night sights.  I am looking to set up my 226 similar to my duty weapons.  I have used mostly older 228s (so I assume they were mostly 3-dot green Trijicons that were going dim).  This gun will primarily be used for range training, may possibly see some duty-carry, and may also be used for stock class IPSC/IDPA (where I hope to eventually compete to train, rather than train to compete).  My thoughts are to use 3-dot green, so I am looking at the same sights whether at work or not.  Trijicons are expensive, and was wondering whether the many others out there could fit the bill (Meprolight, SigLite, Tru-Glo, XS, etc.).  I am also intrigued in the contrast sights, and whether they would improve my lining up the sights (and not make a difference swithing back to 3-dot green).  What sights do you guys like, and where can I get a good price on the internet for them?

I also need some extra magazines.  The gun is being shipped with only 2 magazines.  I always have 3 on me while on duty, and will require a few extras for the range.  I noticed Sig factory mags are a bit more than aftermarket mags.  I have heard that the factory mags are the most reliable, and that the aftermarket mags can't be trusted.  Are aftermarket mags really that unreliable?  What would you suggest if you in fact agree that aftermarket mags are reliable...Mec-Gar, Eagle, Pro-Mag etc.?  What is a good source to purchase extra high-cap mags?

Any LEOs out there?  I need a holster for duty-carry.  My agency is in the Stone Age and still issues a lot of single-retention holsters.  We tend to get a lot of Uncle Mike's web gear and often use Safariland and Bianchi for leathers.  I would like to get a double or triple-retention holster for range work, probably nylon.  Any suggestions?  Also, may need a concealable holster for IDPA.  What are you guys using?  Once again, where are you guys finding good prices and service?

Lastly, I need a lot of cheap 9mm range ammo.  Where are you guys finding the deals on the net right now?

I am sure many of my questions have been covered in the past, but I am hoping you guys can help me limit my research, as I will be making purchases ASAP.  Plus, I am always entertained by the suggestions.  Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If I'm not mistaken Mec-Gar makes the mags that are now supplied with Sigs.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Good choice on pistol and James, I hear he runs a good operation.

For 9mm blasting ammo, check out Cabela's, cheaperthandirt.com, or ammoman.com.  Or just do a google search for bulk 9mm, I'm sure something good will come up.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#3]
CDNN is the place to go for OEM SIG mags.  I personally would avoid the used ones (I’ve had problems with older mags both developing weld cracks and set springs).  I prefer the parkerized finish over the blue.  Don’t know if they’re available for P226’s, but obviously stainless is even better.

Mec-Gar apparently makes the newer SIG OEM mags anyway, so they should certainly be fine.  Plus they’ll probably be a bit cheaper than the SIG marked ones.  If you can get a dealer discount on your badge you might also want to check out Brownells and Midway for Mec-Gar’s, though I doubt they can match CDNN.

I’m thinking there are some higher than normal capacity Mec-Gar’s that you might or might not be interested in.  I’ve never actually seen one and I’m not positive they’re made for P226’s.

As I understand it, Siglites are made by Trijicon.  They are expensive – however, they are available in a range of heights (note the little number on your existing sights), which is great if you’ve got an elevation issue.

If not, Mepro-lites are somewhat cheaper and IMHO a bit brighter.   Brownells sells them.

When looking for nitesights, remember that some have highly visible white circles painted around the capsule, and some don’t (though I’m not sure if unpainted ones are still available).

If you get nitesights, you really should have them installed with a sight pusher.  Using a drift and hammer is a good way to break a capsule.

I’m quite happy with Wal-Mart Winchester Value Pack 9MM.  It goes for $11 for a 100 round box (loose packed).
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:04:46 AM EDT
[#4]
SigLites are made by Trijicon?  I saw a pretty good price on them at CDNN....I better jump!  Sounds ike Mec-Gar is the way to go for aftermarket....otherwise most folks are telling me to go with factory.  I think I would like to experiment with the 17-round mags they make.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:39:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Kramer #3  Horsehide IWB holster for CCW/IDPA. +1 on the Mec Gar mags.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#6]
cci blazer 9mm 115 grain, 3.89 or so a box at Academy Sports and Outdoors
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:59:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Midsouth Shooters Supply has the 17rnd Mec Gars for $15.84 right now but they are backordered and supposed ot be in soon. Might want to check it out. Also check out Top Gun Supply for used factory mags TGS They are great to deal with and thier used mags work well and if you don't like it they will take it back. Stay away from Pro Mag. They are crap.

Sportsman's Guide has a good sale on the Tru Glo TFOs right now for $49 They say Bright Sight but they are Tru Glos Sportsmans Guide

Walmart for cheap practice ammo in the Winchester White box 100 round packs.

For an IDPA holster check out this Safariland 5181 I've used them for years in IDPA with my Glock and just ordered one for my 226. That's the cheapest place I found.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:00:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Arizona Gun Runners www.arizonagunrunners.com/  has Meprolight night sights for about $70. Meprolight is what SIG is now using. If you get the MGW sight pusher ($90), www.topglock.com/catalog/tools.htm its real easy to do them yourself. I just did two of mine and it took all of 15 minutes each to  get it done. Just make sure you order the sights by number(its on each sight, ie. 8 & 8, or 8 & 6, etc)

Top Gun Supply www.topgunsupply.com/e-commerce-solutions-catalog.0.html.1.html has factory new SIG 226 mags for $30, and used ones for $20. These boys are great to deal with and ship fast.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice choice. CPOs are the way to go and OO is a stand-up gun dealer. Check out the classifeds on Sigforum and you can find night sights often. Mec-Gar makes stock Sig Sauer mags and can be found at Copes Distributing and Top Gun Supply.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:31:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I've always gotten a great deal from Greg / usaoz on SIGforum's classified board.  SIG magazines: stay away from anything that are not SIG factory or Mec-Gar.

SIG magazines  

The German style of Sig factory looks the same as the pre-ban magazines. They have the zig-zag seam and the witness holes in the rear. The Mec-Gar style of Sig factory magazines don't have a visisble seam and have the witness holes on the side.

NIW P226 9mm 15 round LEO marked (either German or MEC-GAR style) $26.00 each.

eta: Night sights

I've got and use three types atm; Novak, SIGlites (Meps and Trijicons).

Novak.  These are nice.  My set turned out to be a special order as I wanted yellow inserts in the rear with a green front.  Total was around $180 including shipping to NV.  They are on my 226-9 and were installed a tad off.  I hope they don't drift.

SIG trijicons.  These are on my duty 226 / .40.  They do the job during any lighting condition.  The white tubes that show on the top of the rear sight have been known to pop out (they don't affect the sight in any way I've heard), though mine are still there since around 12/05.

SIG Meps.  Got these on my NIB 226 / .40.  The white outline of the tritium inserts both front and rear are larger than the trij's.  Super sight picture during the day.  No noticable difference between night sights brightness IMho between the two (Mep + Trij).  I highly recommend these.

I prefer SIGLITEs.  They are solid, and installation just looks and feels permanent like they should be.  The SIG custom shop can help you out (listed as 05 prices).

eta 2:  Ammo

ammoman [check out the NATO U.S.G.I. 124gr. FMJ]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Night Sights:

I would say Trijicon sights would be the best for no nonesense all business all duty type of function.  However I'm not a cop and so I went with the TruGlo TFO sights.  They are both Fiber Optic and Tritium.  The glow in the dark is lousy IMHO but that could be the nature of the beast or they are old sights.  Either way, in the day time or good lighting the Fiber Optic aspect really lights them up.  I typically shoot in the daytime so the Fiber Optic brightness really sells it for me.

Magazines:
My gun was brand new in Feb. 2002 and it came with the "older German zipper back" style magazine.  They are EXPENSIVE and can be found on the internet.  A brand new one is like finding GOLD, and even used ones are $40 bucks.  I like the finish on these mags which is why I stick to them.  A new Sig (like a Blackwater) ships with Mec-Gar/Sig magazines.  They have a solid seam (no weld points) and are very shiny and black.  Slick too, nice and greasy.  I don't like them at all.  They are too black in color to match the gun.  Seems like a dumb reason but I like the German mags the best.  I'm not alone either.  

In your case, for maximum reliability I would stick with FACTORY Mec-Gar/Sig magazines from the online Sig store, and go with Trijicon night sights.

$0.02
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:34:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
They are both Fiber Optic and Tritium.  The glow in the dark is lousy IMHO but that could be the nature of the beast or they are old sights.  

A brand new one is like finding GOLD, and even used ones are $40 bucks.  I like the finish on these mags which is why I stick to them.  

You must have got an old or defective set of Tru Glos because mine are very bright in the dark. As bright as the Trijicons on my Glock.

As for used mags, TGS has the used zipperbacks for the 9mm 226 for $19.95, 226 .40/357s are $18.95 and the 229 .40/357 are only $17.95. I bought 4 of the 229 mags and they work great.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:20:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Let's see..., $40.00 for used or $26.00 NIW?  

My gun was brand new in Feb. 2002 and it came with the "older German zipper back" style magazine. They are EXPENSIVE and can be found on the internet. A brand new one is like finding GOLD, and even used ones are $40 bucks. I like the finish on these mags which is why I stick to them. A new Sig (like a Blackwater) ships with Mec-Gar/Sig magazines. They have a solid seam (no weld points) and are very shiny and black. Slick too, nice and greasy. I don't like them at all. They are too black in color to match the gun. Seems like a dumb reason but I like the German mags the best.

Nothing wrong with Mec-Gar SIG factory mags.  They do have cosmetic differences compared with the German zipper mags, and both are carry gun reliable.  The grease comes off.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I wouldn't worry about a security holster for range work. You would be better off using your duty holster on the range, especially if it is one of the security models that require alot of practice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top