Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 9:20:06 PM EDT
Well...I did it.  Many years ago, but nonetheless, there it is.  Every time I look at my Series 70, the scratch on the frame from my none to nimble attempt to re-insert the slide stop.

I'm getting mixed answers from friends and acquaintances regarding whether or not to try to get it repaired (i.e., re-blued).  Some say the bluing woulld just wear off.  Others have said it may further hurt the value of the gun.

Should I just live with the scratch? Any opinions?

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#1]
let it be a reminder of your foolishness
ETA: the first time I field stripped my brand new SA shiny stainless loaded 1911 I left a idiot mark
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#2]
fuckin' A man,

Brand spanking new, Colt series 80 Government model

My pride and joy

17 years old

I just gave it it's first cleaning, hadn't even shot it

- idiot mark -

I wept

-Teflon
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#3]
i hit mine with birchwood caseys "insta blue" cant see it...but i know it is there
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah.......every 1911 should come with a serious warning!

I think that living with it will be the reminder that I'll need forever.....my son's seen my shame and he is forwarned.  If I ever decide on another toy at least I'll know better.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:05:20 AM EDT
[#5]
The best thing to disguise a dummy scratch (I like that name, BTW) is to camoflage it with lots of holster and carry wear.  Not without putting several thousand rounds through it, though.

Here's what's left of my dummy scratch.  I just installed the new sights and cut the slide serrations, so it is soon to be sandblasted, parkerized, then finished with Norrell's, so the scratch will be a distant memory.

BUT, as nice as a pristine gun looks, absolutely nothing is more beautiful than a 1911 with heavy wear from years of use.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:31:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Easy fix for that, just send it to Tripp and get it hardchromed.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:36:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I never understood this its just a gun/tool nothing special....
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:45:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I never understood this its just a gun/tool nothing special....

Blasphemy!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Shit happens man!

Learn from it and move on.  
I've done it and I'd bet a lot more shooters here have done it than would admit to it.

The only reason my "idiot mark" bothers me more than the honest wear marks on my old pistol is because I did it personally.

All of my guns get used and because of that fact they all show some marks on them.

A lot of folks equate the "idiot mark" with inexperience and carelessness. That may be true in some cases but not always.... Like I said before, sometimes shit just happens!

If it were mine I'd probably just touch up the scratch with cold blue and let er go.....
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I let a co-worker at the gun shop re-assemble my Colt Series 70 Gov. Bad Idea!!!
He put an Idiot Mark on it.

Man was I ticked!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Glad to know I'm not alone out there.

Note to Maddman:  There is such a thing as pride of ownership, especially for a classic.  While I agree it is a tool, even my grandad (a machinist by trade) appreciated how to care for a great tool and not mar it.  I don't mind a nice patina from regular use, like my Walther has, and I appreciate the "look" of a well used 1911.  But I sure would rather my "tool" without the nasty mark on it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#12]
All of mine have one to some degree or other.  It's never bothered me.  They're for shooting.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I purchased a 1911 that had a scratch on the frame right under the slide stop.  My guess is that one of the counter jockeys or another potential customer eyeing the piece did it, but I still did not let that bother me.  After all, scratches add character and have no impact on how the pistol shoots

Now, if I were purchasing a "display only" weapon that had a scratch on it, I wouldn't do it unless that price came way down.  I only know of one person who has a display only weapon, and it is an original Colt Gold Cup that he keeps inside of a glass display case that is lined with red velvet.  The only other "rare" 1911 I have ever seen was my step-grandfather's Singer 1911 from WWII in pristine condition.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Note to Maddman:  There is such a thing as pride of ownership, especially for a classic. .

I guess i don't see any real value in a mass produced Colt series 70. this "idiot mark"is part of normal usage. taking it down for cleaning and putting it back together, it is a mark of use.

Pride in ownership it taking care of your stuff a mark from use is pride in ownership.

we don't see eye to eye on this subject but hey thats ok.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I understand your point (and the others that it doesn't seem to bother).  But there are clearly some of us that find the unfortunate mark an irritant.  It doesn't bother me when I'm shooting it, which I guess is the ultimately the important thing.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Just because it is a "mass produced Colt 70" does not mean it has less value.  I have mass produced guns I care about much more than my rare or upscale high dollar handguns.  They are all tools but so are my race bikes and I'm mad every time I scratch one.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I was taught to avoid the dummy scratch by removing the safety so it takes pressure off of the plunger tube, so you can push it out of the way, and the slide stop slides in nice and neat..

When I put the safety back in I put the plunger tube under pressure with a q-tip, while at the same time pushing the safety in, nice and neat also. No metal on metal scratches..
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The best thing to disguise a dummy scratch (I like that name, BTW) is to camoflage it with lots of holster and carry wear.  Not without putting several thousand rounds through it, though.

Here's what's left of my dummy scratch.  I just installed the new sights and cut the slide serrations, so it is soon to be sandblasted, parkerized, then finished with Norrell's, so the scratch will be a distant memory.

BUT, as nice as a pristine gun looks, absolutely nothing is more beautiful than a 1911 with heavy wear from years of use.

It'll buff out
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:27:07 PM EDT
[#19]
BTDT with my 1st 1911 years ago. a LesBaer Concept VIII. need less to say I wasnt a happy camper about it either.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I was taught to avoid the dummy scratch by removing the safety so it takes pressure off of the plunger tube, so you can push it out of the way, and the slide stop slides in nice and neat..

When I put the safety back in I put the plunger tube under pressure with a q-tip, while at the same time pushing the safety in, nice and neat also. No metal on metal scratches..

Interesting... I'll remember that one.
I use one of those gimmicky, yeah they saw me comin a mile a way Pachmayr Widgets to reinstall the safety.

I'll be damned if I can figure out how to use it to install the slide stop though....
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#21]
That does seem like a good way to avoid the scratch.  I just don't know how to remove the safety.  Never tried or even thought about it.  I guess I'll have to learn how to do that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
That does seem like a good way to avoid the scratch.  I just don't know how to remove the safety.  Never tried or even thought about it.  I guess I'll have to learn how to do that.

it truly does work :)

to remove the safety (non ambi), move the safety to inbetween engaged/dis-engaged (half way) positions with your thumb, while at the same time take a q-tip or toothpick (anything non-metal) and push on the pin on the right side of the gun that is closest to the hammer.  It will 'pop' out.

git 'r done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top