Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2003 1:59:41 PM EDT
I have an HK USP40 full size, and I want to suppress it with a threaded barrel and a great or decent suppressor. How loud (or quiet) are we talking here? Like a crossman air gun pumped up 10 times, or a co2 gun?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#1]
The sound of you hitting a steel target is about 10 times as loud as the sound of the action cycling.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I'm not really talking about the sound of the round hitting a target, but the noise of the bullet's travel, and the shot in general, volume
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#3]
He means that what your asking about is so quiet you can hear the bullet's impact.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:23:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, where I live, it is legal to discharge a firearm, but I'm worried about noise. Anyone have anything to compare it to?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#5]
well, depending on the suppressor, it can sound something like a nail gun, but without the sharp sound of the nail impacting the board.  This is very subjective.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Another consideration to keep in mind is that, depending on temperature and altitude, a lot of the standard 40SW loads will be supersonic.  You're obviously better off with a subsonic round if you really want to get the most out of a suppressor.  Sell that dang .40 and buy yourself a good .45acp.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:53:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Another consideration to keep in mind is that, depending on temperature and altitude, a lot of the standard 40SW loads will be supersonic.  You're obviously better off with a subsonic round if you really want to get the most out of a suppressor.  Sell that dang .40 and buy yourself a good .45acp.

Yeah, the USP expert has threads on the barrel already.  Heck, just go for a MK 23.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#8]
The Mk23 is a HUGE weapon... I think there is a reason the SEALS supposedly didnt like it much compared to what else is available.

From what I've heard from other people a supressed .45 sounds like a phonebook dropped on the floor. I suspect a .40 with 180gr loads would be about the same.

A .22 with a GemTec can and subsonic ammo is VERY quiet, the action really does make all the noise... I've heard/seen one fired. The .22's are really the only ones that are totally "silent"
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The Mk23 is a HUGE weapon... I think there is a reason the SEALS supposedly didnt like it much compared to what else is available.

Speaking of which, does anyone know of a good source for info on the development of the Mk23 (I'd like to know why they took a normal handgun and decided to make it not only bigger, but, as you said - HUGE?)
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#10]
There's a good HK Site, probably know of it... www.hkpro.com But I know there's a great site on the Mark 23 out there, just can't think of the address.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There's a good HK Site, probably know of it... www.hkpro.com But I know there's a great site on the Mark 23 out there, just can't think of the address.

Thanks, I'll give HKpro a try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top