Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2007 5:19:23 PM EDT
Barrel lengths.

Quality.

Everything.

I appreciate any help.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#1]
The Model 64 was made in the most common 4" barrel, in a lesser production of 2" barrels and in the now-highly sought after 3" heavy barrel.

The FBI used the Model 65 in .357 Magnum with 3" heavy barrel for years as their issue gun, and the Model 64 is basically the same gun only in a non-Magnum 38 Special.  (NO, it can't be converted to .357 Magnum).

Quality is sky-high.
Accuracy is always great, and there is no revolver ever made that can be tuned as well as the S&W "K" frame.
Most people prefer the "K" frame trigger pull over other brands and types of revolvers, and the gun is totally reliable.

If anyone makes an accessory, grip, or holster for a revolver, they make it for the "K" frame, so finding grips and holsters is easy and the variations and types available are HUGE.

Very possibly the finest concealed carry revolver of all time is the 3" S&W "K" frame.
The longer barrel gives you full length extraction and ejection, but the shorter barrel conceals better than the 4".
The sights are some of the best ever used on a fixed sight revolver.

In short, the Model 64 in either a 3" or 4" barrel is just about everything a defense revolver is supposed to be, and nothing it shouldn't.

The gun itself in the .38 Special is a tank, and it'll shoot an unlimited number of .38 Special and .38 Special +P loads.
With even a minimum of care it'll last you for the rest of your grandkids lives.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:02:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The FBI used the Model 65 in .357 Magnum with 3" heavy barrel for years as their issue gun, and the Model 64 is basically the same gun only in a non-Magnum 38 Special.  (NO, it can't be converted to .357 Magnum).

I was always told that they were using nickel 3" model 13s.  Either way it is the same thing other than the 64/65 are stainless.  The 64 is just the stainless version of the model 10.  

The S&W K frames are supremely good handguns.  The 4" is probably ideal for everything but concealed carry.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's a lil background, relevant or not is your call:

I currently have a S&W 686-4 with a 4-inch barrel.  I bought it at a steal!  However, being the ammo snob I am, I dont beleive for a minute there is a true .357mag JHP worth carrying for defense.  Its not a matter of being able to handle the recoil of .357mag, I just feel for all its recoil, blast, and the fact that there are no decent JHPs available, that its not for me.  However, I am having an F'ing blast shooting, the old 158gr+P LSWCHPs through the 686.

However, I've been told there are a shitload of really nice Mod 64s, that are PD trade-ins that many have never been fired, on the market these days.  I have been told I may be able to parlay my 686, which is in fantastic shape, into two of the Mod 64s.  They all have 4-inch barrels as far as I know.  I am really considering this because of the obvious "two is better than one" argument, not to mention my disdain for the .357mag JHPs (yes even the Federal 125gr JHPs), and because I wouldnt be shy about doing my own custom work to them, that I could have more fun.

Anyways, is the 4-inch 64 full underlug?

How about a prefered dash?

Is the front sight able to be removed in favor of a different front sight?

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Here's a lil background, relevant or not is your call:

I currently have a S&W 686-4 with a 4-inch barrel.  I bought it at a steal!  However, being the ammo snob I am, I dont beleive for a minute there is a true .357mag JHP worth carrying for defense.  Its not a matter of being able to handle the recoil of .357mag, I just feel for all its recoil, blast, and the fact that there are no decent JHPs available, that its not for me.  However, I am having an F'ing blast shooting, the old 158gr+P LSWCHPs through the 686.

However, I've been told there are a shitload of really nice Mod 64s, that are PD trade-ins that many have never been fired, on the market these days.  I have been told I may be able to parlay my 686, which is in fantastic shape, into two of the Mod 64s.  They all have 4-inch barrels as far as I know.  I am really considering this because of the obvious "two is better than one" argument, not to mention my disdain for the .357mag JHPs (yes even the Federal 125gr JHPs), and because I wouldnt be shy about doing my own custom work to them, that I could have more fun.

Anyways, is the 4-inch 64 full underlug?

No

How about a prefered dash?

Not really, differences are minor.

Is the front sight able to be removed in favor of a different front sight?

No

As far as police trade ins, the market has been pretty sparse in recent years.  I haven't seen anything really nice or cheap is a long time.  Not saying you're wrong, I just haven't seen anything around here.  Many of the police guns that show up these days are from overseas and usually beat hard.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#5]
In the DFW gun shows, I normally check out all the available K-frame guns.  Going on 2 years ago, Bachman got a bunch of 64s from Cali. Dept of Corrections, CDC marked and serial numbered along with the S&W serial number, all are 2" barrels.  Shawn had them marked at $219 gun show price, then when they sold most of them the price went up to $239.
    Recently they have gotten in some 64s with 3" and 4" barrels.  I forgot what the 4" prices were, but about $300, the 3" barrels were going for $349.  They also had some model 65s with 3" barrels......maybe those were $349.  All of these were police trade-ins...along with the Sig P6s and the HK P7s...and a few Glocks.  Schramm doesn't seem to do the police trade thing much anymore but bachman is still hard at it.

mm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top