Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 3:41:46 PM EDT
A friend who works overseas most of the year came to town for a couple of weeks. Before he left to go back to Dubai, he loaned me his S&W 1911PD and asked if I knew anyone who could "improve" it for a few hundred bucks. He didn't specify what exactly he was looking for (I don't think he really knows, he's enthusiastic about his guns, but not very experienced). I'm not familiar with 1911 types myself, either.

So...to all S&W 1911 owners out there, what are the areas that could be improved/polished with this pistol for a few hundred bucks?

Recommendations on who to send it to?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#2]
What bigbore said + take out the full length guide rod.  JD
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Damnit, 1911 questions have their own forum for a reason: so people don't respond, "trade it for a Glock 'foty" or "for $200-300 you could buy a used Glock."
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
buy practice ammo for him.

Bigbore, I tend to agree with you. But, if he wants to spend his money trying to improve his own gun, who am I to argue. God knows, I do the same on my favorites.

Besides, money is not really a concern of his (he's got plenty), he just likes customizing stuff.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Dawson rail, Kings solid black trigger, and Kinds combat-commander style hammer...in black.

Then slap on a light and get him a safariland.  

Done and done.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Damnit, 1911 questions have their own forum for a reason: so people don't respond, "trade it for a Glock 'foty" or "for $200-300 you could buy a used Glock."

Oh, OK.

Let's see, the only useless response to this thread, so far, IS YOURS.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#7]
night sights, gunners, and ammo
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd put an extended slide release on it.  I must have these tiny girly hands or something, because I can't hit the slide release on a stock 1911 unless I shift my grip on it just slightly, but I almsot never see people putting extended slide releases on theirs.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:25:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'd put an extended slide release on it.  I must have these tiny girly hands or something, because I can't hit the slide release on a stock 1911 unless I shift my grip on it just slightly, but I almsot never see people putting extended slide releases on theirs.

Most of us don't use them.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:47:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most of us don't use them.

Ya know.. this is something that I just do not understand with 1911 guys.  Often on these forums I have read that people don't like this or that gun because they have to use two hands to do _________.

Yet, most people who use 1911's seem to slingshot their slides.  I do believe that takes two hands.  And a while back I had asked about an extended slide relesae--and I got the same type of response--"Just slingshot it." and other confused responses on my predicament of wanting an extended slide release.

I haven't yet added one and currently I just shift my grip as Doucheatron3000 to hit it.  I still am planning on getting one, I just haven't gotten around to ordering the replacement piece yet.  I do know however that I will not longer have to use two hands and I will not have to shift my grip.

If someone can give me a reason as to why you would WANT to slingshot over using the slide release please tell me.  Because I can not think of one.

EDIT:  If that is his exact model and he gets new grips, ask him if he's willing to sell the laser grips (if they're in good condition).  I would guess he would want to use those, but it's just a thought :)  I got the SW1911PD 5" w/o the laser grip however I do like it and would like to get the tan/black variation.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Missing Digit theory.  Most combat wounds occur to the head or hands.  If I don't have a right thumb, loading will suck.  Using the left hand, I can't reach the slide stop.  I have to overhand it anyway.

Furthermore, sometimes the pistol won't load properly without the extra run that the slingshot provides.

Lastly, it is the same as your Immediate Action Drill.  Doing everything the same every time is fast, easy, and you won't get confused.  All of which are good things.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#12]
And there's my answer--no one gave me one like that before ;)  Thanks Jack!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:45:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:04:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Most pistols in that price range use a lot of MIM and could use some quality parts.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:02:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, sell it and buy him two used GLOCKs that don't need "improvements."

An $800 pistol shouldn't require $300 in "improvements."

Can you imagine someone paying $800 for a Sig or HK with the understanding that it would need several hundred dollars in "improvements" to be serviceable?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Can you imagine someone paying $800 for a Sig or HK with the understanding that it would need several hundred dollars in "improvements" to be serviceable?

However you could then put it like this.  A $1100 1911 already has those $300 upgrades that a $800 one does not.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:58:57 PM EDT
[#18]
The significant problem is that modern 1911's have a lot of cut corners.  Pistols which are built properly cost about 1500 dollars.  MIM and cast pistols run much less.  

Were I to get a cheap pistol, it would be in my best interest to obtain the simplest model that I could find with a good frame and slide, and have it built they way 1911s were supposed to be built- by hand.

100 years ago, a skilled crastman was cheap.  Now, CNC machining has replaced them.  The design being what it is, the 1911 must still be built by hand, but the cost of labor now drives the cost of the pistol.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

However you could then put it like this.  A $1100 1911 already has those $300 upgrades that a $800 one does not.

Yeah, and for only $1100.00.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#20]
What needs improved? Is it not reliable or accurate? Is so..send it back to S&W..

Does he want cosmetic changes? Is so, what? I don't see anything other it needing a de-horning.

I'm with bigbore...buy him a case or 2 of ammo.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:12:07 AM EDT
[#21]
They offer a two day pistol course for $400 here
www.tacticalresponse.com/

I've heard it's worth the money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top