Posted: 8/25/2005 1:26:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Kimber's frames are forged, not cast.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I have seen all types of small parts failures on these.
That being said, the only catastropic failure, or major component failure was a barrel explosion. No other way to describe it. It also was clear that the cause was lack of maintenance. To the tune of a barrel fouled to the max.  Recoil spring was more than an inch short as well.
Frame and slide life should be a long one.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#4]
200 rounds through my Pro Carry II and the extended thumb safety is cracked. I'm going to ask Kimber to send another one.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Seneca, Ed Brown thumb safety may be worth concidering. Wilson bullet proof, or other quality part. Thunb safety on those is notorious and as you can see....
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Call em as I see em. No other way.  Defense on your part only shows how much you do not see.
Seen many broken Ed Brown safeties lately?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Call em as I see em. No other way.  Defense on your part only shows how much you do not see.
Seen many broken Ed Brown safeties lately?

That wasn't directed at you Alan, relax.

It was a response to the initial concern posted by ROUGH about the frames/slides cracking, reported by an obviously less than honorable dealer, who has no idea what he's talking about.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#10]
If you start with "A local dealer/guy at the gun store told me...."

...walk away and let it go.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#11]
dep4532, Thanks, I needed that.
Eye of the hurricane just passed and my cable is out. I need to behave.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:07:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:28:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks fellas I want a you have been a big help.

This is the type of gun shop that gives you a feeling that you are not
good enough to purchase there goods but I went in as I wanted to see there
selection of firearms. never again I don't like gundealers who act as though
everything they sell is the best and then jack up the prices to reflect there thoughts.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#14]
It is a pretty well known fact that I don't like Kimbers. However, their frames, slides, barrels, and finish are done very well for guns at their price point. Some folks at gunshops are scared to be honest and lose a dollar. I have never understood this. I have been in retail for a decade, and I would rather be honest and turn someone away, hopefully gaining respect and trust, than to lie to them, screw them out of their hard earned money, and never see them again. What is wrong with people?

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:08:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Zero to Bullshit in 1.0 second flat!

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I worked in a local shop that is a long time master dealer and during my times we sold many kinbers and like glock many get the idea that it's the only game in town whitch is just not true; now with that said like the glock the kimber is one of the best deals for the money.

But pepole that work/own gunshops are human and are subject to all the downfalls that go with that; personaly I have a kimber and I love it I has served me well I would not hesitate to buy another or recomned one but there are many well built 1911's to choose form and I think that is one of the things that makes the 1911 so grate is that one can find one in there price range and run with it and make it there own and trick it to there likeing.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top