Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 5:19:56 PM EDT
I am planning on buying a CCW gun and am looking at the S&W Model 37, 638, and 340PD.  What would you recommend and why?  Or should I be looking at a mini semi-auto like a Kel-Tec?  I want to carry in a pocket to I can just put the gun in my pocket in the morning like I do my cell phone, keys, or pocket knife.  I do not want to use a holster for daily use.  Any input is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#1]
That is really a loaded question

You need to decide on a caliber, that you KNOW  performs. If you have friends that have pocket guns, shoot them, find what you like. I am not  a pocket gun type, but my "pocket gun" smallest is Glock 23.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#2]
OK - I will clarify the question a little..  I have shot the P3AT from Kel-Tec and did not like it but it fits in the pocket better than anything I have tried to date.  I would like to stay in the 32 or 38 cal in size.   I would buy a 357 since It can shoot 38's (from what I am told).   I want something small enough that I will not notice it in my pocket but something that is reliable as well.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#3]
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=33&t=24727

The link is to my ammo thread here, but the gun is what everyone recommended to me.  Snub S&W 442, which can be fired from inside a pocket using +P 38 special ammo.  This gun COOKS!  My summer gun will probably be a Seecamp 380.  Its the same exact size as their 32 version, minus one round.  However, this 38 is small enough for inside the waistband carry, year-round.

For $350, you can't go wrong!

PS. Don't waste your money on a Scandium or Titanium 357 revolver.  It would HURT to shoot and you'd never end up practicing with it.  The 38 +p loads are hot through this lightweight, a 357 would be impossible to control and get back on target for follow-ups.

EDIT FOR PIC TO SHOW SIZE IN HAND:
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I second the recommendation for the hammerless Airweight 442 or 642. They ride in the pocket very well are light and with a good 38+p round are accurate. I like pocket carry and have used several different types of handguns from Keltec P32- Kahr MK9 and keep going back to the Airweight revolver due to power, concealment and weight. The semi's are flatter and seem to conceal better than a revolver but all the ones I've carried sometimes the mag release would get hit and fall out when I drew it.  It got to where I was always checking to see that the mag was still seated in the gun.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Pocket guns will take a lot of finish wear.  Might want to look for a good used Chiefs Special or Airweight.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Snub S&W 442, which can be fired from inside a pocket using +P 38 special ammo.  

Yeah...if you don't mind powder burns on Mr. Happy!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Uncle Mikes makes these in the pocket "holster" That is desgined just for in the pocket use.Very cheep,around $12. This keeps the gun right side up in the pocket,breaks up the outline, makes your pocket last longer. It has a special material that allows the gun to slide but "sticks" to the inside of your pocket so the holster won't slide out of your pochet when you draw.
I use one with my Airweight  S&W 642-1. I bought this gun used for $250.I can't immagine the slightly larger (and slightly lighter) titanniun or scandium guns to be any better. The 38+p kicks sharp as it is in the airweight thanks,I wouldn't care for the extra size,price,and pain to gain some power that I am not sure I could use to good effect.
The point and shoot  simplicity of the revolver is the way to go for me,I don't much want extra stuff like mag releases,safetys,and clearing jams to think about. Just drag it out of your pocket,or shoot thru a jacket pocket with any kind of lame grip you wind up with and the thing has 5 shots of shureness.
Keep in mind that any "pocket" pistol is a compromise,if you want a serious carry gun you should go with a full sise gun with a in the waist or on the waist holster and extra mags or speedloaders. I like those calibers that start with a "4"! I have a couple of guns like this but they almost all the time wind up in the safe.
The only time I carried a full size was after the good boss caught the bad boss stealing money and kicked his ass to the curb. For a while a couple of us actually kept M-4's by our desks .The secratary actually had her G19 tucked under her sweatshirt!(Our Guns in the Workplace policy is Bring them if you have them!)
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:28:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been carrying a Taurus PT111 Millennium for the last two years.  It's a great little gun. It’s very reliable.  I've shot about 150 rnds of different ammo through it and never had any problems. I’m can’t decide if I want to sell it now that I just bought a SA XD40 sub compact.  I hate to get rid of it, but I just don’t need it anymore.  I really like the XD sub compact.  It's a little heaver than the PT111 though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#9]
S&W Model 642 loaded with Speer 135gr. +P GDHP
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am planning on buying a CCW gun and am looking at the S&W Model 37, 638, and 340PD.  What would you recommend and why?  Or should I be looking at a mini semi-auto like a Kel-Tec?  I want to carry in a pocket to I can just put the gun in my pocket in the morning like I do my cell phone, keys, or pocket knife.  I do not want to use a holster for daily use.  Any input is greatly appreciated.

Glock 19 or Glock 26 depending on the size of your pockets............Doc
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#12]
If the only thing in the pocket will be your Gun , (no pens ,change,etc.) You
might as well get a Pocket Holster.

1. Keeps gun in drawing position

2. breaks up outline so gun doesnt "print"

3. Helps keep Lint and dirt out of gun.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I've tried using a revolver as a pocket-gun and it just never worked for me - uncomfortable, printed obviously even with a pocket-holster, etc. - but I am big and wear dress slacks 6-7 days a week, so YMMV according to body-type, typical clothing, etc.

I would strongly recommend a good, gun-specific leather pocket holster if you decide to carry in your front pocket (auto or revolver).  I used to use a generic Uncle Mike's pocket holster and (no offense meant to those of you who have have already suggested them above and like them) I found that they printed worse than leather, didn't hold up well over time, gripped the gun inconsistently, could sometimes interfere with the draw, etc.  Again, this is just my personal experience and YMMV.

I really like my R J Hedley pocket holster (my P3AT has been riding in one in my front pocket all-day, every-day since I bought it and my P32 did likewise in one before that).  He hand-makes custom leather pocket holsters to order and makes them for revolvers, too, at very reasonable prices... unfortunately, he's so backlogged right now that he's not taking any new orders.  But there are plenty of other good ones on the market, both custom and mass-produced.  

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:55:02 AM EDT
[#14]
642/442/638 i have all, outstanding pocket guns
stay with a revolver it can be shot while in your
pocket a semi auto has to clear leather. not
very practical. my .02
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
642/442/638 i have all, outstanding pocket guns stay with a revolver it can be shot while in your pocket a semi auto has to clear leather. not very practical. my .02

Are you talking about pointing your foot at him a la Chuck Norris and hoping not to blow a chunk out of your leg in the process?...

Or are you talking about a jacket pocket?  (Unless I completely misunderstood, he is talking about 24/7 front pants-pocket carry, not a jacket.  )
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#16]
HKTackDriver has hellabig hands.  The 442 is a great weapon and about as small/light as I would dare go.  the Glock 26/27/whatever package is also a good portability compromise as are other autos in that range.

I have a Taurus 905, 5 shot 9mm revo comparable to a smith j frame in size.  It is about the same weight empty as a loaded G27 and practically the same size.  But I don't hesitate to carry a j-frame.

Desantis nemesis pocket holsters are great!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:47:53 AM EDT
[#17]

OK, lets see if I can get my thoughts in order...yeah, I didn't think I could, so I will ramble instead

I carry a Ruger SP101, .357 Magnum with a Hogue.  I like the feel of the Ruger with the Hogue grip (And the stock grip wasn't bad either).  It is a little heavier than other snubbies, but it will hold up to firing the Magnum loads better.  I carry it in an "Inside The Pant" holster, and it does n't show (But I have a large framed body and that helps to hide it).  The newer versions of the SP101 (In all calibers, I beleieve) are hammer-less, which allows for a better concealed carry, and easier to draw.

My Advice -

* If you only intend to fire .38, don't buy the .357

* Carry what is comfortable, and what you can fire easily and accurately.

* 5 rounds is fine for self defense.  With a .357, the rounds that hit will really be effective, and the BOOM of the ones that miss will scare off any half-hearted criminals.

Keep in mind, I have medium sized hands, and with the stock grip, it would have fit in my hand with almost nothing showing

http://www.geocities.com/fatmantpk/HPIM0910.JPG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top