Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2007 6:24:59 PM EDT
It may sound like a stupid question but, wouldn't the size alone be really intimidating? I understand that the fact that you have a gun is intimidating. But some times that is not enough. I read an article in G&A about an under cover cop hearing things like "A shotgun can rip a man in half" and "it(still referring to the shotgun) can take out three guys in one shot". If you could instill that kind of fear into someone just by presenting a very large handgun, wouldn't YOU want to carry one?
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#1]
no, but awhile back someone posted picks of their 50 ae desert eagle IWb rig, with BIG IRON tooled into the holster. Said he packed it for a week I think, and never got made.
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Carry it to the truck? Sure.... fire the damn thing? Hell no I like my head.
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
no, but awhile back someone posted picks of their 50 ae desert eagle IWb rig, with BIG IRON tooled into the holster. Said he packed it for a week I think, and never got made.

Small wonder, he's a big guy.

As humorous as flirting with the idea of hurling deadly dwarf penises at an assailent is, the flying ashcan seems ideal for me and it profiles a hell of a lot better.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 6:05:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Hail, no.  Clever remarks are for the movies.  What would really suck is if you were blabbing away about the most powerful handgun yadda yadda, and the punk shot you between the eyes with his Jennings .25 before you finished your speech.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#5]
thats just way too big. Should you get into a shooting 2 things would screw you, over penetration and 5 round capacity...
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Didn't a guy just get convicted over 10mm?

Look at what functions, is concealable, can get the job done, and is in a package, be dirty harry in the mirror, and at the range, but if you're going to pull the Snatch speech about how bad a .50 AE makes you, etc, you're losing the point.

Think about what fits in your hand, what you shoot well with, what you can control, what you can conceal, what you deal well with.

Sounds like you need a shoulder holster and a coat to conceal the thing, and that's a snub nose. I mean if things got bad, with the 8'' barrel you could club your way out of it.

I dunno, I don't have much of an opinion, I don't have a CHL, but from a bird's eye view, it's fine to like those guns, and a lot of guys like Full-Size 1911's (including myself), but can't carry them comfortably or practically, that's unfortunate but true. I mean I just foresee you getting a gun, that's like a lead weight, that ends up from your waist (if it doesn't pull your pants down) to your glove compartment, from that to the house, to the night stand, and then to the safe, you know?

Think about it will this be too much gun to carry. Heck, I think I'll love 1911's I love the design, the way they feel, shoot, and said I'd never want a Commander or Compact, but who knows, when I get a CCW, I may want one, or may end up with a HK USP, or whatever, but anyway.

Have you ever seen how wide they are too, people worry about Glock's printing.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd carry it if I was going into Bear country! Or mabey a BBQ gun but for SD....uhhhhh no.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 11:11:48 PM EDT
[#8]
A full sized government model is the largest I can hide, and the DE or SW500 is too large to shoot quickly anyway.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 1:54:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Funny story, at my CCW class some guy pulled one out when we had to show we were familure with out firearm. My friends and myself all busted up laughing when he did, as did the instructor. It took about 20 minutes before the class could continue, good times.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 4:53:24 AM EDT
[#10]
The only aspect of it that would be useful is the "undercover look" that you would get.  I mean with your pants falling down constantly from the weight, you would have the "thug" look down!
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
if you're going to pull the Snatch speech about how bad a .50 AE makes you, etc, you're losing the point.

LOL, That's one of my favorite movie quotes.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#12]

It may sound like a stupid question but, wouldn't the size alone be really intimidating? I understand that the fact that you have a gun is intimidating. But some times that is not enough. I read an article in G&A about an under cover cop hearing things like "A shotgun can rip a man in half" and "it(still referring to the shotgun) can take out three guys in one shot". If you could instill that kind of fear into someone just by presenting a very large handgun, wouldn't YOU want to carry one?

It's funny because there is one thing that is always intimidating about the 12 gauge, the almighty "rack". That to me is more intimidating than the display of any gun. Another funny thing about the rack......... it speaks all languages. There is not a single person from any country that does not understand the visual and audio of the rack......
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#13]

LOL, That's one of my favorite movie quotes.

I knew I wasn't the only one thinking it.

What I stated was the conclusion I came to, when I sat down and thought about how practical would it really be, you know?

I remember sitting in the living room watching the movie with my dad and after that scene my dad saying "I need one of those." I laughed, because I was thinking the same thing. I know it's lame, but it's true, I thought it was funny, I remember watching the Matrix feeling the same way, beretta's...not so much. Dirty Harry was probably the reason that, no it was, according to some history articles i've read, etc, reason that the Model 2(something, I know I'll be crucified by a revolver man shortly)0 something .44 S&W was such a high selling item.

It wasn't especially accurate or especially ground breaking, it was just a huge powerful handgun. Same thing can be said of the 10mm and Desert Eagle. (Though the Verdict, IMHO is still out on just how effective the 10mm is.)

EDIT:

Well, technically the 10mm isn't huge, but it's got alot of hype, I'm not certain how well it lives up to that, would've been a better analogy. Seems if you throw in it's good enough for the FBI or CIA, or whatever, and suddenly, it's the pinnacle of weapon design and technology, you know? You can't tell me alot of people haven't bought Glocks because of the amount of movies there in, and just the reputation they have from it. (This is just talking about the Joe Schmo who buys a handgun and never fires it, kind of deal.)
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 12:17:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I ccw with the concept that I am only drawing my handgun when I am drawing my handgun with the intention of shooting someone.

Intimidation, size, and whatever else does not matter.

If someone wanted to carry one of the big s&w revolvers I would recomend going with the one that can take 45 long colt or 454 casull rounds as well as the 460 whatever round.

It is kind of like what a lot of folks do with their 44 mag revolvers.  For woods use they might have 300 grain solids in that 44 mag revolver and then if going to town or something they might take the time to load some self defense 44 special or lighter wieght 44 mag stuff.

Depending on where you live, what you want your handgun to do, how many handguns you can afford to own, and lots of other stuff I would not be surprised to hear that someone seriously considered one revolver for their do everything revolver.

Link Posted: 6/14/2007 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I actually knew of someone in Colorado who carried a sawed off shotgun with a pistol grip under his jacket... But then again he lived in bear/mountain lion/coyote country.

Either way the .500 S&W is a big heavy gun, if you've ever handled one you'd rethink this question.

Quoted:

It's funny because there is one thing that is always intimidating about the 12 gauge, the almighty "rack". That to me is more intimidating than the display of any gun. Another funny thing about the rack......... it speaks all languages. There is not a single person from any country that does not understand the visual and audio of the rack......

Yes, but why would you want to give them any warning/chance? For all you know you can be mid rack when the bg starts shooting.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I actually knew of someone in Colorado who carried a sawed off shotgun with a pistol grip under his jacket... But then again he lived in bear/mountain lion/coyote country.

Either way the .500 S&W is a big heavy gun, if you've ever handled one you'd rethink this question.

Quoted:

Yes, but why would you want to give them any warning/chance? For all you know you can be mid rack when the bg starts shooting.

Who said he had a gun? what if it is just some guy that broke into your home and had a knife.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 6:14:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It may sound like a stupid question but, wouldn't the size alone be really intimidating? It is a stupid question, and no, "size alone" doesn't mean diddly shit if you don't have the training nor experience that you seem to indicate a lacking of both I understand that the fact that you have a gun is intimidating.Wrong again Barney, go get some training But some times that is not enough Here is something for free: Guns are not Talismans. They do not ward off bad people nor do they intimidate bad people from doing bad things by just having a gun. I read an article in G&A about an under cover cop hearing things like "A shotgun can rip a man in half" and "it(still referring to the shotgun) can take out three guys in one shot". If you could instill that kind of fear into someone just by presenting a very large handgun, wouldn't YOU want to carry one?Your whole point is based around the fact that you think bad people are reasonable and are capable of thinking about the consequences of there actions. Note: this is why they are Bad People in the first place

It's funny because there is one thing that is always intimidating about the 12 gauge, the almighty "rack". Oh, dear God, please let this be a joke....That to me is more intimidating than the display of any gun Intimidation is the express-lane that you will be riding on to the destination of getting killed by being a "reasoning" moron in a gun fight. Another funny thing about the rack......... it speaks all languages. There is not a single person from any country that does not understand the visual and audio of the rack......

Lets just add a Speaker PA system to all of the up-armored Humvees and drive around Sadr City with the "almighty rack" sound blaring from the speakers. It will all be over soon after, we will just have to pick up the bumbling in fear insurgents that have piss running down there leg just from the sound of the "almighty rack".
Brandishing or "presenting" a firearm in the hopes of "instilling fear into someone", WRONG. You earn another . Its time for you to get some training.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:16:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Anything over .45 is illegal for CCW in my state.

So, I have to answer, no.

For a truck gun? Maybe. However, I'd get a .460 magnum rather than a .500. The .460 shoots .454, 45 Colt, and .460.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top