Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 12:52:24 PM EDT
OK, I don't hunt.  And if I did, I wouldn't be crazy enough to do it w/ a pistol, so why does my eye keep wandering over to the 44 mag?  OK, I know why.  It's the whole cool factor.  I know I sound like a kid here.  I'm not, but I keep playing w/ the idea of getting a 44 mag for a range toy.  Silly I know.  There's a local guy selling a nice Ruger super redhawk in stainless for $375 and I'm sorely tempted.

First, is this a good price?

Second, what do you guys think about the SRH?

Third, someone please slap me before I buy yet another handgun that I don't need.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a fine hogleg.  You'll like it.

Plus...nothing says "get off my land" like a 44magnum.  Serves as a good sidearm in the truck too.  I never go up to Northern Maine without my trusty Model 29.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Cause a .44mag makes a big boom and makes pretty flashes of light. thats why you want a .44mag....
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:54:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I love .44 mag.  Get a regular redhawk vs a SRH if going .44 though, better balance and looks.  I have a  SRH that I had snubbed  that is pretty fun.  Either will serve you well, but the Redhawk is a little less extreme looking and would be easier to pack around.  The SRH was meant as a replacement for the RH initially because of barrel separation problems, but the problem was solved and people liked both so Ruger still makes both, though the cylinders are identical.  Super heavy loads can be used in either.

My main bitch with Ruger is the triggers in them suck.  They take alot of work to get them right, and changing one thing means having to grind/polish elsewhere.  Some folks can do it, but for most it is best left up to a smith to get it right.  I have spent a week of afternoons polishing and trimming springs, and ordering parts to get it right.

.44 mag is the biggest bang for the buck in HG cartridges.  Yea, there are bigger and more powerful rounds out there, but .44 mag is so common that you can get the specialty heavy loads for what factory loadings of .454 or .500 go for.

In reality .44 is cheap enough to plink with, with cheap loads going to $15 for 50 rounds, the 320 gr hardcast bear loads are impressive to shoot, and handloading for it is fun.  It could also perform double duty as a HD gun and as a hunting/bear defense gun depending on loads for those who are not inclined to buy a gun for every niche.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Chicks dig it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#5]
You want a .44 mag to compensate for something else!

Actually its probably because the .44 mag rules and a can be anything from a fun plinker to a powerhouse.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:38:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Ah, you got me.  It's because I need to compensate for my small.... bank account... because I keep buying these freaking guns.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:59:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you really need a reason?  It's a .44.  Load it up with some mildly hot (now there's an oxymoron for you) loads and watch the grin on your face.  Here's the progression:   - BANG! - - - .  If you repeat this process too much you'll wind up, and your bank account, .  Get one, they're fun.  By the way, today is smiley day.  MJD
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:15:36 AM EDT
[#8]
cause they'll blow your head clean off

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:04:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
cause they'll blow your head clean off

www2.warnerbros.com/dirtyharry/img/gallery/5.jpg

I don't care who you are - that right  there is funny!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:09:59 AM EDT
[#10]
There are those who say hey just get a 22 and have some fun. Those people have never shot
a 44. I recently got a SRH Hunter model with those ashy-gray laminated grips. BEAUTIFUL
gun, nice trigger - not at all like the older rugers I've stroked in the past.  Took my old man
and some friends to the range to break it in. Everyone to a a man lierally laughed out loud
after the first shot. I knew right then and there it was money well spent. I'm not that great of a shot yet but with 44 specials in it I was VERY accurate (relative to me!! )
YMMV but I don't think so....
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:18:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah, you got me.  It's because I need to compensate for my small.... bank account... because I keep buying these freaking guns.

I know what you mean, I only recently picked up my .44 mag addiction in november...now I have 3!
A super blackhawk, a redhawk, and a 629 DX
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:29:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I have hunted with a .44 magnum for 25 years and simply love it.I have used Ruger Super Blackhawk,Dan Wesson,S&W 629 and currently I hunt with a Ruger Super Redhawk with a 4X Leopold.The SRH is a super hunting gun and I have taken several deer with it ,all one shot kills.The milled top strap for ruger rings are solid as a rock for holding a scope.Mine is capable of 5 inch groups at 100 yards from a sandbag rest.The SRH is a good choice and that is a fair price.Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:35:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Because its the best all-around big bore handgun out there.  It doesn't have the finess
of the 44 special, the pecularity of the 41 mag or the nostalgia of the 45 Colt.  It does,
however, have the best all around balance of power, accuracy and controlablity.

Sure some the bigger calibers like the 454 Casull, the Linebaughs and the 475 and 500 mags
have eclipsed it in power.  Still and all the 44 magnum has enough power to do almost everything
thats required of a handgun.

I bet if you buy one you will never regret it.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:27:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Just beacuse they are fun!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought SRH 2 weeks ago.... yet I have not shot it yet I just like the way it looks and feels :) I can't wait!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#16]
.44 Ruger Redhawk 5 1/2 bbl. is a super gun.  carry it low on the thigh and you can still carry an MP5 under the shoulder...
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Because they are accurate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top