Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2002 1:09:49 PM EDT
I first learned this in the mid 1980's (showing my age here) during basic SWAT training.  
For those who aren't aware of it, the process involves shooting at a partially concealed or covered target by deflecting your shoot off a hard surface at a shallow angle, so that it travels parallel to the surface.
We first learned it for shooting at a subject standing behind a car with his feet/ankles exposed when you're returning fire from the prone or kneeling position and due to angles or risk areas either cannot align with the target or risk too much exposure.
We also trained to do this off a hard wall surface, as that many of the areas we were responsible for had hard concrete walls.
It can be a helpful little skill to have in your bag of tricks.
Anybody else train and practice this way?
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Learned that little trick from a former Delta guy at BSR.  He called it "rabbiting" (sp?)

It underscores the use of a vehicle as concealment, as opposed to cover!
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 6:17:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Ken -

Yep, same thing (and possiably the same trainer).  I've heard it called "rabbitting" or "skimming".  
We practice it with short lenghts of 2x4's standing upright behind a car on a part of the hard pad.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top