Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2017 5:08:12 PM EDT
Okay it's 2017 and thinking with tax money I want a new 1911. I've had Glocks and just not in the mood for another 19 or 26. I've had 1911's before but due to things with my kids they had to be sold, a long with many other guns. I'm finally in a place to be able to buy a "keeper". The problem is what to get, as like most of us, I want the best for the least. I know you have to pay to play but where should I drop the money. I've had a Colt 1991-A1, RIA Officer type, and a Regent Gov. type (no shame got it for $150 actually shot well). I want a Commander sized model and would prefer with bushing, not bull barreled.

I looked at my LGS they had a Combat Commander for $849 and some Kimber commander type models about the same price. I'm not really wanting a Kimber but anything else I would have to order (other then Combat), they may have some Rugers in by the time I buy, they do have some Colt gov. models for $749 and up to $1250 for a Delta. I'm just really stuck on the Commander size. Any suggestions on which and what, to make it worth a 1-4 wk wait or anything else is appreciated. I'm trying to stay under $1000, the rest is for ammo and whatevers. I have even considered just going RIA, just not with the extended cover and rail, I think it's just a TAC.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#1]
The Combat Commander of which you speak, is it Colt ?  I like the prancing pony roll mark. It's nice to have at least one.  If it's not Colt I'd skip it and go straight to the Armscor/RIA. My perspective is based on carrying 1911's for longer than I care to admit.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 6:20:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Combat Commander of which you speak, is it Colt ?  I like the prancing pony roll mark. It's nice to have at least one.  If it's not Colt I'd skip it and go straight to the Armscor/RIA. My perspective is based on carrying 1911's for longer than I care to admit.
View Quote

Oh yeah it's a Pony, blued and checkered grips (pretty standard) series 80 NIB. That's my thing it will be carried, however I'm home 90% of the time so it's going to get shot more than carried.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd look hard at STI models as well, IMO.

There's also the option of buying a gently used Les Baer, Wilson Combat or Ed Brown & saving bucks that way.

My .o2
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'd look hard at STI models as well, IMO.

There's also the option of buying a gently used Les Baer, Wilson Combat or Ed Brown & saving bucks that way.

My .o2
View Quote

Going that route involves having to buy online and have a transfer. I can't see it in person before I buy, may or may not have option to reject, plus have to pay transfer fee. Then there's the point of having money tied up if sent back. I'd honestly prefer to buy new, especially with a 1911, then I know exactly what's in it. I know most upper tier guns are going to be left alone, but you always have that one guy that screws up a gun because he thinks he can make it better. My luck, I'd end up buying from that guy, lol.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:57:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Of those 2 the Colt..
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Going that route involves having to buy online and have a transfer. I can't see it in person before I buy, may or may not have option to reject, plus have to pay transfer fee. Then there's the point of having money tied up if sent back. I'd honestly prefer to buy new, especially with a 1911, then I know exactly what's in it. I know most upper tier guns are going to be left alone, but you always have that one guy that screws up a gun because he thinks he can make it better. My luck, I'd end up buying from that guy, lol.
View Quote

You make very valid points. You could overcome many of them with questions to the seller before you buy, i.e. "has the gun been monkeyed with in any way?"

I have bought used a time or three myself to save $$$ & it's always worked out well for me. The key is asking your questions up front, maybe even with a phone call. Just a suggestion, you do what you're most comfortable with.

My .o2
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I've owned a few 1911's myself and have sold everything except 2 kimbers and one DW and sold my RIA GI Super 38 to my best friend......In my experience if I had to do it all over again I would buy a DW and then everyone after that would be an RIA!

My thinking is get at least one top notch 1911 and a DW is one of the best production 1911's on the planet and then for everyone you buy after that the price of the RIA's can't be beat!
Top Top