Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 1:34:59 PM EDT
I'm looking to replace a couple of worn parts on my Mil-spec before I sell it, and I would like to know which recoil spring to use to replace the factory spring.

I'm also looking to replace the barrel bushing as well, it seems to be a little loose, loose enough for the recoil spring cap to push it away from the slide by a few thousandths.

I measured the barrel at .579, do I go with a bushing the same size, or a little under or over?

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#1]
The factory stock recoil spring is 16 lbs.  They're available at any real gunshop for less than $10.  Regarding the bushing, I'll defer to someone better qualified for a recommendation, but if it were mine, and the pistol is functional and safe, I'd let it ride and let the new owner do the honors if he/she is so inclined.  You probably wont get a dime more for it, after your upgrade.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The factory stock recoil spring is 16 lbs.  They're available at any real gunshop for less than $10.  Regarding the bushing, I'll defer to someone better qualified for a recommendation, but if it were mine, and the pistol is functional and safe, I'd let it ride and let the new owner do the honors if he/she is so inclined.  You probably wont get a dime more for it, after your upgrade.

I agree with skipsan, get a factory spring and don't worry about the barrel bushing.  Pass the couple bucks you save not buying it to the guy that buys the MS off you.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#3]
That's what I figured about the bushing.

It's not really super sloppy, and the gun is still accurate.

Though I will replace the recoil spring though, it has an unknown number of rounds on it, with at least 1k of them being mine.  The last couple of range trips with it had a couple of FTF's with ball ammo. It's probably not the new Metal Form magazines.

I'm not really interested in making the cash in parts back, just making sure it will function ok for the next guy. I don't like the idea of passing the problem on to the new owner.

Off to the local fun shop for a new recoil spring...
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Replaced the spring, the new Wolff 16lb spring was a good inch longer than the factory spring, and only cost $8.

I ran a box of Blazer Brass through it with zero issues, it seems to be resolved.  It's not as accurate as I remember, might be the Blazer, maybe the bushing.  If I recall, it was picky with ammo. It loves 185 TMJ Gold Medal Match, but kind of patterns with anything else.

If I were to keep it I would probably get a hold of a semi drop in match barrel and bushing, but it's good enough as it sets for now, and now that it's reliable again I won't feel bad about selling it.

I also feel better about it being my current nightstand gun while the Beretta is in the shop.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top