Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2010 7:39:05 AM EDT
In a nutshell, what are the differences and is there any reason I should avoid a Series 80 lower?

I am looking at a Combat Commander stainless Series 80 lower with a pre-Series 80 blued slide.

Thanks in advance,

P2
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Series 80 added the firing pin safety. No need to avoid them. some say you get a better trigger from a 70s  I own many of both and cant tell the difference
in trigger on either. One of my favorite is a Series 80 Govt. Had a 3.5lb trigger done and some novac sights. Hits where I aim.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Who did your trigger work and Novak sight installation?

I will pick this one up on Sunday and probably change to a flat mainspring housing and maybe go with a smaller beaver tail - I have small hands and never got a hammer bite from any Commander I have ever fired.

Not going to do anything trigger-wise until I've shot it some to see how it does, but tritium Novaks are a must.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:18:06 AM EDT
[#3]
If the hammer is lowered with a live round in the chamber on a pre-series 80 (which is dumb to do in a 1911 style firearm) a blow to the hammer is more likely to discharge the firearm.  The series 80 employs a firing pin safety.

- AG
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I think I found a good explanation here...

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=15201

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If the hammer is lowered with a live round in the chamber on a pre-series 80 (which is dumb to do in a 1911 style firearm) a blow to the hammer is more likely to discharge the firearm. The series 80 employs a firing pin safety.

- AG

The hammer presses directly against the FPS when the hammer is down. There's no room for the hammer to move if smacked hard.

What can happen is if a Pre-80 Series is dropped muzzle down with a round in the chamber, it can potentially go off due to the firing pins momentum causing it to hit the primer. The Series 80 system doesn't allow the firing pin to move unless the trigger is pulled.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top