Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 10:20:31 AM EDT
Looking at a sig 228 and heard they sometimes have problems with rust, especially if you carry them. What kind of finishes will stop the rust? I'm currently looking at a nickel plated one and wanted to know if that offered decent protection. I also heard about NP3 finish and Robar( I think) finish. What are your opinions on these?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:19:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Tripps hardchrome and Birdsong Black-T
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I refinished my 220 with Norrell and it has held up well.
It was easy to do at home in just few hours.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#3]
My P226 had an issue with surface rust when I was carrying it, but only if I got caught in the rain during work and didn't wipe it down right away. I found the Tetra-Gun stuff to work pretty well, started cleaning with it and coated it with some of their rust protection and I haven't had an issue with rust since. And it has been rained on since I started it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats funny, the things I read sometimes, I've heard a lot of things too.   Rust is a problem that never goes away.  

I've carried my 228 in a VM2 for over a year and never had problems with rust.  Maybe I am lucky, I live in CT so I get a taste of each season here.  A simple yet largely over looked process of wiping of a blued firearm with some type of water displacing spray will go along way.  

If you want to refinish your SIG go ahead, many have and many will continue to do so, but it is a waste of money IMO.  Spend the $5 on some silicone gun wipes.  Sorry for being so blunt.

+1 for Tripps, also check out CCR
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Ive owned my 220 since 97 and have carried it as my primary duty weapon for 5years. I did have alot of issues with rust on it especially when I would be on patrol on rainy days. I sent it into sig back in 02 and had it nickle plated (the upper only and it is the satin not the shiny) for around $75 but Im not 100% sure on the price. It has never rusted again and is extreamly durable. It is also very easy to clean just like my chromed bolt in my ar.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:15:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Robars NP3 is the cat's meow!

teamroper
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top