Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 8:03:20 PM EDT
I've been looking at  getting a Makarov pistol.  I've read as much as I can online, but all I can really get is info from Makarov.com.   I was wondering if anyone with experience with a Makarov could share some insights.  I just want something different; this gun won't be used for concealed carry, or home defense, just some light shooting at the range.

Basically, is this a gun worth paying $150-200 for, or should I just forget about it save up for a SA Mil-Spec 1911?

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got one.  I like it.  Its in my bob.  Very dependable.  Get a new firing pin and you're good to go.  They are excellent CC pieces too.  If you want to you can come shoot mine if you're in Northern Va.  Springfield Milspecs are great too.  Just 2 different guns with different things to do.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I got one and I like it, Im pretty good at shooting it tot.  Has alot of snap for a small gun.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:49:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I got one and I like it, Im pretty good at shooting it tot.  Has alot of snap for a small gun.

I noticed exactly the opposite.  Its a heavy gun and the little 9mm makarov cartridge isnt very powerful.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:13:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm a little biased because I've got 2 EGs and a Russian, but someone else here once said, "they're the best $400 handgun you can buy for under $200" or something like that.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:22:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm a little biased because I've got 2 EGs and a Russian, but someone else here once said, "they're the best $400 handgun you can buy for under $200" or something like that.

Sums it up well.  I have an EG that it the best made pistol I own, perfect bluing and the slide/frame fit is tighter than any other pistol I own.  Made out of the former Walther factory.  Best $130 I ever spent.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:29:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I got my EG's from Century when they were going for $135 each.  

One of my biggest regrets was not max'ing out my credit card and buying up everyone that I could!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:52:27 AM EDT
[#8]
You can't go wrong with a Mak. It has a heavy DA pull, but then again, this wasn't suppose to be a target pistol. Sights are tiny, but can be replaced.

The pros...

- very reliable

- cheap ammo

- accurate

- Tad more power than a .380, so I consider it more than adequate for self defense.

The snappy recoil is due to the fact it is a blowback design.

In short, a lot of pistol for the $$$$
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:06:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#10]
OK so I am basically sold.  What is a good place online to order one for a good price?  So far I haven't been able to get a site that provides lots of choices and decent prices.  I'm looking for either a Bulgarian or an East German.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I have three.  I love them.  

Will feed any ammo.  Small and easily concealed.  Light recoil (least it seems light to me but then my carry piece is an aluminum frame .45).  And, due to the fixed barrel, they're far more accurate than any small cheap gun has a right to be  

The downside is they have poor (vestigial really) sites and the 9x18 round is marginal.

Other than that I can't say enough good things about them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sums it up well.  I have an EG that it the best made pistol I own, perfect bluing and the slide/frame fit is tighter than any other pistol I own.  Made out of the former Walther factory.  Best $130 I ever spent.

It is not the best pistol I own (because I own to HKs lol), but it was by far the best gun under 200 dollars I have ever bought (my EG was 85 bucks used from a dealer). I would trust it defending my life...
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Crude but reliable.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:54:59 AM EDT
[#14]
First let me say I do not find Maks crude. I own two EG and one Bulgie Mak. Is there any area that needs improvement? Yes, Maks need better sights but I can live with the factory sights. I do not find much difference between the reliablity of an EG or Bulgie Mak. I have never had a malfi and I have sent a lot of rounds down range. Do Maks kick for their size?  Yes, as they are straight blow back pistols. Are they the best pistol you can buy for under $200? No, I rate a used Star BM 9mm and Bersa Thunder 380 higher for the money but the Maks are in a solid 3rd place.  Do I recommend Maks? YOU BETCHA! Regards, Richard:D
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
First let me say I do not find Maks crude. I own two EG and one Bulgie Mak. Is there any area that needs improvement? Yes, Maks need better sights but I can live with the factory sights. I do not find much difference between the reliablity of an EG or Bulgie Mak. I have never had a malfi and I have sent a lot of rounds down range. Do Maks kick for their size?  Yes, as they are straight blow back pistols. Are they the best pistol you can buy for under $200? No, I rate a used Star BM 9mm and Bersa Thunder 380 higher for the money but the Maks are in a solid 3rd place.  Do I recommend Maks? YOU BETCHA! Regards, Richard:D

When you can see raw grinding marks on the controls and frame from the factory that have been blued over (Bulgarian Mak) I call that crude. Does that make it a bad weapon? No, they are excellent. But in terms of finish, the ones I have seen are what I would call crude.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#16]
You could buy 2 CZ52s. They are fun, but look like cave-man era compared to a Mak. They also are big and shoot quite a fireball. I have both and say buy one of each(or 2 or 3).
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:07:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

When you can see raw grinding marks on the controls and frame from the factory that have been blued over (Bulgarian Mak) I call that crude. Does that make it a bad weapon? No, they are excellent. But in terms of finish, the ones I have seen are what I would call crude.

typical COM-BLOCK weaponry.  ain't pretty but it just works no matter what.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:36:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:47:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
When the E. German Maks were going for under $150, they were the best gun per dollar you could find.
They are still a bargain at twice the price.

I also regret I didn't go into debt buying pallets of these myself.

You know what's really funny now?  EG grips are going for $40 a pop!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:49:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My Bulgy is $140 darned well spent. Nice groups with Barnaul hp, trigger smoothed out very well after a few boxes were thru it (esp after the hammer is back and it is SA). Great plinker, nice backup gun.

My Bugly groups EXCEPTIONALLY well with the Barnaul HP's Also.  This is my Rattlesnake gun. Fits right in the front pocket.  The makarov is one of my favorite pistols, mine gets used extensively.    Seems to group best with the CHEAP ammo for some reason!  I wish I had a dozen more of 'em.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top