Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 4:47:28 AM EDT
What is the consensus on Extreme Shock Fang Faced rounds

http://www.extremeshockusa.com/

They are quite pricy, but I ordered some just to see if they would feed properly in a PPK/S - and to see what they do to melons. Or is Gold Dot better as a defense round?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:53:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What is the consensus on Extreme Shock Fang Faced rounds

http://www.extremeshockusa.com/

They are quite pricy, but I ordered some just to see if they would feed properly in a PPK/S - and to see what they do to melons. Or is Gold Dot better as a defense round?

This is like th second thread on that ammo. It's pure shit. What it does to a melon will be no indication of what it would do to a person.

Gold dots are way better the ES ammo.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:58:23 AM EDT
[#2]
This is specialized ammo for specialized applications and risk assessments.  I recommend ammo qith at least 9" of penetration for most concealed carry uses.  The rapid energy dump of this ammo will be impressive on melons, but most risk assessments require greater penetration.  

Michael Courtney
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:08:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Aside from ES's dubious performance characteristics, I'd choose something else based on their marketing scheme.  Anything with a name like "Tungsten-Nytrilium Fragmentable Explosive Entry Fang Face Round Jacketed Hollow Point" smacks of marketing excess.

I mean, come on; how am I suppose to take ES seriously?  This packaging looks like somthing you'd find at a flee market:

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Get a real caliber. There are plenty of guns just as small your PPK that can shoot 9mm or even .40 S&W.

I made my dad ditch his PPK has a defense weapon.

Just my opinion though.

On the other hand, I think I heard somewhere that 380 you're better off using FMJ b/c the HP's tend to not expand after passing through clothing, more so than other rounds. I don't know how true that is. Maybe someone else can corroborate.

On the other hand, can you find EFMJ (Expanding FMJ) for .380's?

ETA: I ,as well, am I Gold Dot fan. Why? The FBI use them and they do the most extensive testing on handgun ammunition of anyone in the world. Hydrashocks are outdated but not a bad round.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Honestly, the only thing stupider than those who sell this trash are those who buy this trash.

<---gold dot fan, because gold dots have a proven, repeatable track record.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Anything in .380 isn't going to be EXTREME anything.

Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Gold dots or go home

Why buy something that is completely unproven?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I have to tell you that dispite what everyone said, I got a package of these rather expensive rounds to try. No, not cheap at all, like 10x the cost of a regular 380 round. My PPK/S did not seem to have any problems eating the stuff, dispite it's nasty appearance.

I did a very unscientific test that I am sure you all will scaff at. I tested this stuff against regular Winchester flat nosed 380, and ball Remington 95 grain on some juicy watermelons. I did not have any hollow points to try. Yes, I know a melon is not the same as a person, but unless some of you want to volunteer, this is the best target I had available.

The difference was amazing. The other 380's split, or in some cases knocked small chunks out of the melon. The Extreme Shock made a small entry hole, and the whole back of the melon was gone! Yes, not as good as a S&W 500 magnum, but pretty impressive for such a small round.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I scaff at your test.

Winchester Ranger T is what I carry in my P3AT when I have to go unarmed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have to tell you that dispite what everyone said, I got a package of these rather expensive rounds to try. No, not cheap at all, like 10x the cost of a regular 380 round. My PPK/S did not seem to have any problems eating the stuff, dispite it's nasty appearance.

I did a very unscientific test that I am sure you all will scaff at. I tested this stuff against regular Winchester flat nosed 380, and ball Remington 95 grain on some juicy watermelons. I did not have any hollow points to try. Yes, I know a melon is not the same as a person, but unless some of you want to volunteer, this is the best target I had available.

The difference was amazing. The other 380's split, or in some cases knocked small chunks out of the melon. The Extreme Shock made a small entry hole, and the whole back of the melon was gone! Yes, not as good as a S&W 500 magnum, but pretty impressive for such a small round.

What you saw was the effects of kenetic energy or what would be a temporary cavity in gelatin terms.  In a human, there would not be enough of a temporary cavity to cause any damage and you'd end up with a lot of  destroyed flesh and not much making it to the organs.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What you saw was the effects of kenetic energy or what would be a temporary cavity in gelatin terms.  In a human, there would not be enough of a temporary cavity to cause any damage and you'd end up with a lot of  destroyed flesh and not much making it to the organs.

Yeah, but if you shot someone in the eyeball their head would explode!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top