Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 4:31:15 PM EDT
I bought a SA Milspec recently and added a beavertail grip and commander hammer. I've installed the parts, cleaned it, did function checks, and put 300 rounds though it without any problems.  After the last range session, I pulled the trigger to put the hammer down and I heard a click from the trigger and the hammer won't budge at all and is apparently stuck in the cocked position. Did a part break? Could I have installed the sear spring wrong? I wanted to ask first so I know what to look for before I go taking it all apart again.
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If you put 300 rounds thru it without a problem I would doubt its a mis-installed spring problem. Sound like something broke, what make of parts did you use?

Might as well start stripping her down.

MGW hammer and King's Gun Works drop in beavertail grip safety.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you replace the sear? Did you hone or polish the sear engagement and relief angles? Did you stone the hammer hooks? Do anything to the trigger or thumb safety mechanisms? A lot of stuff can go wrong when one part is changed without being properly fitted. Charles the Gunsmith.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#4]
The only thing I did to the parts was file down the edge on the beavertail safety that comes in contact the hammer when it's in the cocked position. I did this since the hammer wouldn't go down far enough for the slide to be pulled fully rearward.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Check the adjustment screw on the trigger?  Maybe the mainspring came out of position?  I'm just throwing some ideas out.  Have you been able to break the gun down?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Ah ha! It was the trigger screw Thanks for the help all.

ETA: Do I need to put loctite on the screw now?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:55:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Good to here that things are back in order!  I messed with my screw a while ago...what I ended up doing was adjusting the travel to the max point to where everything worked properly.  Then brought the travel back a couple of turns to be safe and secured it with Lock-Tite (Blue).  The red tube is too stiff and if you ever need to adjust your over-travel you might strip the allan screw or the threads since the trigger is aluminum.  If you want to still reduce the trigger and you've polished everythig go with a lighter Mainspring.  Also, Belay my last when I said maybe the mainspring came lose, I meant sear spring.  I got a couple Bodington's in me.  Anyway I'm glad things are cool.  Have fun and be safe.

Jeff
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#9]
sorry but have to ask,you say the hammer is stuck and wont go bang.
YOU did unload before attempting to disasemble??
not to imply anything but the way you phrased it, I had to ask.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you're gonna keep the trigger screw make sure you locktight it. Better yet throw it away, it''s only there to stop overtravel and while fine for a target gun it can be fatal on a defensive gun.

Depending on the trigger, that may not be a great idea.  I ditched the screw on a Videcki short trigger and the gun would fire as long as there were rounds in the mag and I kept the trigger back.  Put the screw back in and adjusted the overtravel and, voila, no more "unintended consecutive discharges."
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top