Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2004 8:25:42 PM EDT
I recently shot the 250-300 rounds of 9mm FMJ rounds to break it in. It fed every round of 2 different brands great. UNTIL I tried the +P Speer Gold Dot JHP's I had intended to carry in it. They just didn't want to feed too reliably. I ran 100 rounds through it after the 300 break-in rounds, and it still wasn't 100% My son shooting had one hang up in a FTF pretty tight and the trigger doesn't reset reliably now and is back to Kahr for repairs.

What is a truly reliable feeding high performance round for this series of pistols????  any input??
Link Posted: 5/30/2004 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#1]
You’ll just have to experiment till you find something reliable in your particular firearm.  Granted, this gets expensive fast!!

My experience with a P-9 suggests a standard velocity 115 grain round is best.

Reliability is IMHO far more important than a slight improvement in performance with a +P or +P+ round.

Good luck!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2004 6:37:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/5/2004 6:39:23 AM EDT
[#3]
A very good non +P round in 9mm is the Win SilverTip, yes it's the one that everyone and their brother says failed the FBI.  It works well.  Just not designed to shoot through glass and car seats and still be effective.
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a K9 not exackly the same but I've had excellent results with the 124gr Remington Golden Sabers, I use the +P, but the standard load is supposed to be nearly as good. The reason Gold Dots are recommended over Golden Sabers is that more agencies are using Gold Dots so there's been more shootings with the GD.
Mike
Link Posted: 6/21/2004 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a PM9 and fed it a box of Winchester Ranger SXT at the range the other day with only one feeding problem from the round jamming into the feed ramp instead of sliding up it.

I also agree that you do not need the +P stuff.

One thing that wil help reliability if you are confident to do it is a good polish on the feed ramp. I polished mine when I got back from the range and the PM9 feed ramp polishes up beautifully and hopefully will prevent any more FTfeed. With all that said, I have only put about 100-150 rounds through the gun so am still in the break-in period.

IM me if you need. I love this little gun!
Link Posted: 6/27/2004 2:16:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I own a Kahr P-9. It had some feeding problems with just about everything for the first 200 rds....as the manuel says, it needs 200 round break-in period. After about 250 it fed everything without a hitch. My agancey uses speer gold dot JHP so thats what I carry in it. It is a decent round with good expansion properties. It my also help in the future should there be any legal mitigation, at least it is approved by my agency.

Hope this helps.

" Who's the dirty bastard that stole the cork from my lunch!"
Link Posted: 6/27/2004 7:01:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I had the Kahr back to the range and this time after another 200 rounds it must be loosing up real well. ZERO problems with the +P Gold Dots this time. Thanks for all the input guys.
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#8]
+1

HS1
Link Posted: 7/1/2004 5:19:06 AM EDT
[#9]
In my PM9 I've put 60 rounds of CorBon 115+P's with no problem. I have also put about 60 rounds of the CorBon Powerball 100+P's. I like the idea of the Powerball better. It has the polymer ball in the hollowpoint to help facilitate potential feeding issues. I orginally bought one of the first PM9's out and had nothing but feeding problems. I traded the gun in and waited. I have now bought a new PM9 (about 600 rounds through it) and had no problems that can't be blamed on me.

I carry Powerball confidently
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I put a bunch of golden saber through mine, it worked well.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 5:36:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I recently shot the 250-300 rounds of 9mm FMJ rounds to break it in. It fed every round of 2 different brands great. UNTIL I tried the +P Speer Gold Dot JHP's I had intended to carry in it. They just didn't want to feed too reliably. I ran 100 rounds through it after the 300 break-in rounds, and it still wasn't 100% My son shooting had one hang up in a FTF pretty tight and the trigger doesn't reset reliably now and is back to Kahr for repairs.

What is a truly reliable feeding high performance round for this series of pistols????  any input??

see this link

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=35&t=9949
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 5:48:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Kahr Arms is asking all Kahr Dealers, Wholesalers, and Owners to return the barrels only from certain serial numbers of the Kahr PM9 3" barrel Polymer frame 9mm pistols in order to repair or replace barrels that were found to not properly feed some brands of hollow point ammunition, which under certain circumstances may be unsafe to the user. Please return the barrels with customers’ names, addresses, phone, and serial# to:

Kahr Arms
130 Goddard Memorial Drive
Worcester, MA 01603
Attn: Dorothy Herold

Models involved: PM9093A, PM9093NA, PM9094A, PM9094NA
Serial number ranges: VA0003 -- VA9999, VB0004 -- VB0999
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I carry Federal 124gr +p+ in mine with no feeding problems.  My Kahr has gobbled everything I've fed it.  I've only got about 50 rounds of the +p+ through it but I have run about 250 rounds of Winchester 115 ball with no hicups.  I've used Remington 124gr +p Golden Sabers without any problems either.  I just carry the Fed load in every other 9mm so I carry it in the Kahr as well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Winchester RA9T.  It is 147 gr standard pressure, and performs very well out of short barrels.  Feeds flawlessly in my PM9.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Coincidentally, this is the same ammo I would use in an offensive application.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I run the Gold dot 124+p and love em.
Try polishing the feed ramp.
I have run 300 rds of 115gr ball in it first and then the 200 rds of 124gr gold dot JHP's.
Strong hand and week hand and limp wrist , No prob.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 3:09:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I run Hornaday xtp 115 and 124 grain in both my Kahrs, MK 9 and P9, with no problems whatsoever.  I steer away from +P just because I'd rather have control than an extra few fps.  A few zillion rounds and a dozen years as an EMT suggest to me that shot placement trumps velocity and caliber in most respects.

Also used Black Hills in 124 gr. hp bullets with no problem; about 50% larger groups than Hornaday ammo, but cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I put a bunch of golden saber 124 +P through my PM9. It went well.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top