Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2017 7:52:14 PM EDT
The platform is a lightly used (250 rounds, maybe) Glock 26 Gen. 4.  Everything is factory, including the mags.  Shooting the ammo shown below.  I realize that S&B is not the best ammo money can buy, but it's far from horrible.

Where do I begin to diagnose why the pistol would stovepipe?  It has done this 4 time already.  I simply cannot trust it at this point.

As far as "limp wrsting" goes, simply put (and I relize you'll have to truse me on this), it's not happening.

Lube wise, the factory grease is still in the gun, I didn't wipe it all out or anything.

Any hel would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you replicated the problem with a different shooter?   That would be my first test.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#2]
S&B is actually quite good ammo.

Did you initially clean and lube the pistol before firing it?

Have you tried another type of ammo?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Could be limp wristing even if you think you're not doing it. Have someone shot the gun like the other posters suggest. It also could be a bad ejector.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/limp-wrist-shooting-gun-correct/
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#4]
For me, it has always been limp wristing.  I realize this is no help to you.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Could be limp wristing.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/limp-wrist-shooting-gun-correct/
View Quote
Possible, but not likely.  I have become very cognizant of my grip on the pistol, in fact that's what I was working on yesterday when it 'piped on me.  Not saying I have the world's strongest arms, but my shit's far from octopus tentacle like.

I also shoot lots of other semis, and they don't jam.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Shit, you said the factory grease is still in there.  Really?

Clean and lube before anything else.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#7]
And NOT with froglube.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Possible, but not likely.  I have become very cognizant of my grip on the pistol, in fact that's what I was working on yesterday when it 'piped on me.  Not saying I have the world's strongest arms, but my shit's far from octopus tentacle like.

View Quote
It's not necessarily about your strength -- it's technique.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
+1000
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
 It could be recoil spring too heavy or bad ejector or the ammo is to hot for a light recoil spring.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:08:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And NOT with froglube.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
And NOT with froglube.
+1

It could be recoil spring too heavy or bad ejector or the ammo is to hot for a light recoil spring.
+1
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Glock recommends not to clean that off.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:13:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not a gunsmith nor do i own any gen 4 glocks.

The only glock i've ever seen that stovepiped was a new gen 3 my brother bought.
We couldn't see anything wrong with any of the parts.
He sent the slide off to glock stripped to get night sights they replaced all the internals.
It runs flawlessly now........  one day we plan to swap parts till we see what it was.

I can shoot my training 19&26 with just my thumb and trigger finger they still won't stovepipe.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:48:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Common causes are weak ammo (or overly strong recoil spring), or damaged extractors.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:04:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#16]
It's usually either a timing problem (recoil spring) or an extraction/ejection problem.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, exactly.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Need more specifics to help- to me a classic stovepipe is an empty case sticking out of the ejection port at or near 12 o clock such that it obscures the sight plane when it happens. In these cases number one culprit is extractor or ejector. "Stove pipe" of alive round is almost always magazine related. Do your magazines have any sort of plus one base or pinky extension / finger rest? If so take it off and go to the stock base plate and see what happens.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Have you tried different mags? See if they all do it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Just bought a Gen4 G19 last week, only got to the range once with it so far, had 3 or 4 stovepipes out of a Federal bulk pack from wallyworld. I attribute them to it being weak ammo and new stiff recoil spring, I also shot box's of S&B, Magtech, Hornady XTP, and Winchester PDX zero issues with any of the others.

Almost every stovepipe I've encountered with any of my handguns seems to of been weak ammo related happens ocasionally with Bulk 115gr WWB and bulk Fed 115gr packs, and UMC mostly, also had a couple my one and only time trying freedom munitions.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#21]
My G26 has weak ejection on that last round of pretty much every mag.  I was shooting 1 handed last time I shot it and got a stovepipe.  It might be me.  But I don't recall ever getting another stovepipe with another type of gun.    

I think it's like a tolerance stacking thing.   I know hotter ammo shows less weak ejection (carry ammo).  I have extended the mags.  Which does 2 things, makes the spring in the mag weaker and seems to play a part in how well my Glock ejects.  And also gripping the gun may possibly have an effect on how it eject because the mag can move around a bit from gripping it.  You would think that would be more of a feeding thing, but if the spring tension has some affect on ejection, then probably the position of the mag might too.  Then of course for me, shooting it one handed I might have not had as secure of a grip as I "should" have been.  I was practicing harries technique.

Either way, it's annoying.  It's a good gun.  It shoots really well.  But yeah, when you start getting stovepipes.....  It's not the most comforting thing.  And Glocks....   they bug the crap out of me.   This is my 2nd one that I eventually end up having reasons to really not like it.  (albeit that's obviously subjective)

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yes, exactly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, exactly.
Like a Les Baer?  No cleaning for 1,000 rounds?

You are chasing your tail till you clean that out and apply a proper lube.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would definitely add a small amount of proper lubricant (CLP, synthetic motor oil, whatever), but cleaning out the copper colored grease will not change anything.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Factory grease is for corrosion protection in long term storage.

NOT lubrication during operation.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not when it comes to Glock
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its been 23~ years since i read one but I remember it saying to leave the coper grease in (looked like anti seize)

Imo if a glock can be made to stovepipe with any reasonable grip on it something is wrong with it
Be it a bad part or tolerance stacking.

My wife has shot 7 different glocks if her limpwristing doesn't cause malfunctions i cant see how anyone's grip could cause it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#28]
My G42 will stovepipe with weak Geco ammo.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:06:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My G26 has weak ejection on that last round of pretty much every mag.  I was shooting 1 handed last time I shot it and got a stovepipe.  It might be me.  But I don't recall ever getting another stovepipe with another type of gun.    

I think it's like a tolerance stacking thing.   I know hotter ammo shows less weak ejection (carry ammo).  I have extended the mags.  Which does 2 things, makes the spring in the mag weaker and seems to play a part in how well my Glock ejects.  And also gripping the gun may possibly have an effect on how it eject because the mag can move around a bit from gripping it.  You would think that would be more of a feeding thing, but if the spring tension has some affect on ejection, then probably the position of the mag might too.  Then of course for me, shooting it one handed I might have not had as secure of a grip as I "should" have been.  I was practicing harries technique.

Either way, it's annoying.  It's a good gun.  It shoots really well.  But yeah, when you start getting stovepipes.....  It's not the most comforting thing.  And Glocks....   they bug the crap out of me.   This is my 2nd one that I eventually end up having reasons to really not like it.  (albeit that's obviously subjective)

http://i.imgur.com/Yrxr0kJ.jpg
View Quote
As my post noted first thing to do in eliminating issues such as yours is go back to the flat OEM mag base. If the problem resolves ( very good chance it will) toss the extensions.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Try different ammo and another shooter.

The mags are likely fine, especially if it's doing it with more than one.

You might have gotten an early Gen 4 which Glock had a junk run of extractors that bled over to some gen 3 pistols too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

As my post noted first thing to do in eliminating issues such as yours is go back to the flat OEM mag base. If the problem resolves ( very good chance it will) toss the extensions.
View Quote
I hear ya.  I was thinking about doing that.  I haven't carried it in a long while.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:12:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Could it be as simple as your thumbs riding the slide.

Most common issues that can cause this are riding the slide with your thumbs, engaging the slide stop just enough to slow down the slide, damaged extractor/ejector check for burns or anything that looks wrong, weak recoil spring or to heavy, and give it a wipe down make sure no gunk in extractor striker block area and while you are at it make sure the striker channel is clean/dry.  Try different ammo would also be something to watch and lastly watch and see if it happens with particular magazines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top