Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 10:39:42 PM EDT
I just bought a Springfield TRP and would like to know what are some must have accessories, special tools, etc. that every 1911 owner should have?  (besides the obvious mags and ammo of course)

I already own an Otis cleaning kit, but that's it.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:29:54 PM EDT
[#1]
That is all you will need. The 1911 was desidned so it can be totally dismantled without the use of tools. I am not talking about fieldstripping, but every part there is. The only tool you need is a bullet casing to unscrew the grips. Sounds funny but it is completely true.
One of the links I was lookin for
This is done withouthout the use of any tools.

Get a couple holsters too.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:52:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Hilton Yam Sugested Tool Kit

I would go with this one.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:05:11 AM EDT
[#3]
A screwdriver or allen wrench to fit the grip screws. A punch to fit the mainspring housing pin. A thin screwdriver to help putting the thumbsaftey back in.

As stated you really dont need any special tools as the 1911 (stock type) was designed to breakdown using its own parts.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:05:44 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are an 1911 aficionado and own at least two, I suggest having a plunger tube staking tool, a screwdriver bit that closely fits the 1911 grip screws, and a bushing wrench if necessary.

A couple of other home fabricated tools that have come in handy for me:  a hockey puck with several different sized holes drilled through it (to place your 1911 on when driving out pins), and a popsicle stick with a shallow notch in one end (to hold in the plunger when reinstalling the thumb safety).
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:34:57 AM EDT
[#5]
As stated, there are no nec tools.

Replacement recoil springs (the oil change of the 1911)

Punches are nec for detail stripping

Boresnake & bushing wrench might be handy.

Wilson also makes a chamber cleaning tool, but it does mark the chamber (which they assert has no adverse effect to function)

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:02:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hilton Yam Sugested Tool Kit

I would go with this one.

Thats great advise.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:31:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#8]
If you reload get a squib rod.
I have never had one in hundreds of thousands rounds, but from what I see they happen.
I do have a rod though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top