Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2013 7:26:16 AM EDT
Just how much need is there for a weapon mounted light on a handgun for conceal carry?

Is it better to have a handheld or both?

ETA: Poll spelling got fucked up.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:29:52 AM EDT
[#1]
For me an attached light adds too much bulk, I carry a hand held light.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:10:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Need? No.
A small handheld would be more versatile.
That being said, they do have their advantages such as being able to keep both hands on the gun.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Regular carry a G19 w/ X300 in Raven OWB strong side w/ cover garment.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I carry while driving cab.  My Commander doesn't have a rail.  Even if it did I wouldn't use it.
I hate handguns with light rails.  They're a deal breaker.

I use my handheld light from 4am to sunrise.  Usually lighting up a house to see the address.  It's in my hand most of time.
Having another light on the gun would be pointless and uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:35:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:10:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I tried it for 6 months.  I never once saw a need for it.  I carry a handheld as well.  For a regular citizen that has to conceal a gun for SD use I can't see how it's useful.

LEO's...maybe. Your everyday Joe not IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Great for nightstands. Not so much for EDC for me.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#8]
My PPQ has an Inforce APL on it for nightstand use and outside the waist band carry.  The APL is great since it requires just the flip of a switch to remove and then I can do IWB appendix in seconds.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Heavy Heavy Heavy.

Bulky Bulky Bulky.

I just stick a quality handheld.

Bedstand...WML all the way.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Need? No.
A small handheld would be more versatile.
That being said, they do have their advantages such as being able to keep both hands on the gun.
View Quote

This.
In a perfect world you'd get both. That isn't practical for ME and the way I carry right now so I carry an EB1T. Ideally, I'd like to have an APL to reduce bulk and a handheld as well.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'd suggest that you try mag changes, opening doors, navigating obstacles, carrying something, clearing malfunctions, etc  in the dark.

first with no light

then try it with a handheld light with no lanyard.

then try a handheld with lanyard

then try a weapon-mounted light

then you'll know what works best for you
View Quote
Will do.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#12]

NAY
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Psssstt...  Over here...
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:42:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes.

M&P9 with an Inforce weapon light, riding in a KT-Mech holster, FTW.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Psssstt...  Over here...
View Quote
thanks for the thread.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I dont have a holster to accomidate that.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Does it need it?? No but do I carry one yes...
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:32:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Psssstt...  Over here...
View Quote

That should read HD gun...

From experience I disagree with all that for a normal conceal carrier.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Psssstt...  Over here...

Me too. I see a lot of comments that are more offensive (HD) rather the defensive (CCW). If you're pulling your CC weapon on someone you had better of already identified them as a target and therefore the mounted light doesnt matter. You can't pull your gun on someone, flip the light and say "Oops, I thought that was a knife in your hand not a tire gauge...My bad". You get arrested and have your license taken away for doing something like that.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Weapon light does not stop the need for a hand held also.  Came here to post what socom stated, you better have target identified before you draw down, period

I have had several instances, night and day, that have been defused with hand held light when I was seconds away from drawing. Most recent was a few weeks back at a gas station outside Atlanta, broad daylight two thugs approached without saying a word to me, got a bad feeling, most beggars are begging as soon as you make eye contact. These two just kept coming without saying a word, I pulled my 300 lumen light and shined it in their eyes, and loudly stated "I can't help you", and they almost tripped over each other getting turned around and scampering off.

For me, CC no weapon light, two hand held lights.

Home Defense, G23 has weapon light with laser, and hand held right next to it in quick access safe, and my Home Defense AR has two lights mounted on it, but it lives in the big safe with a hand held right next to it.

Whatever you choose, train and practice with it, learn it's limitations.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Weapon light does not stop the need for a hand held also.  Came here to post what socom stated, you better have target identified before you draw down, period

I have had several instances, night and day, that have been defused with hand held light when I was seconds away from drawing. Most recent was a few weeks back at a gas station outside Atlanta, broad daylight two thugs approached without saying a word to me, got a bad feeling, most beggars are begging as soon as you make eye contact. These two just kept coming without saying a word, I pulled my 300 lumen light and shined it in their eyes, and loudly stated "I can't help you", and they almost tripped over each other getting turned around and scampering off.

For me, CC no weapon light, two hand held lights.

Home Defense, G23 has weapon light with laser, and hand held right next to it in quick access safe, and my Home Defense AR has two lights mounted on it, but it lives in the big safe with a hand held right next to it.

Whatever you choose, train and practice with it, learn it's limitations.

View Quote
Thanks for the write up, and man good thing you had your light with you when those thugs came at you.

They probably got blinded by the light.lol
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Its a must have !

Pistol lights are small and can weigh under 3oz

And there are a ton of IWB -Light holsters to be had.

I cant even tell when  I mount the APL to my P30.

I also carry 2 handhelds surefire E2Defender & P2X Defender

BUG = S&W 642 in left front pocket of cargo shorts with a spare load.

P30 IWB at 3:00 with spare mag between 11-12:00 in a  wilderness horizontal mag holder

and a cell phone and side opener keys wallet etc.

Untuck Tshirt and cargo shorts pretty much all year around here in SWFL
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I would if Crossbreed made a holster for an M&P9/TLR1 combo.

I can't see myself spending $90 on something from raven either.

I always carry a surefire handheld on my person, but the more lights, the merrier.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:25:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I always carry a surefire handheld on my person, but the more lights, the merrier.
View Quote

There are some many holster makers out there it aint funny.

BTW I don't know why Crossbreed wont make them?

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:02:35 AM EDT
[#26]
One of my G19s is set up w/o a light, the other G19 has a white light & laser screwed on and since the laser is zeroed, I do not remove it.

I voted no in the poll, as some guns are not particularly compatible with attachments. That being said, I am a strong advocate of white lights and lasers. A very good test of hand held lights, no lights and mounted light laser setups is small game/ Jack rabbit hunting at night.

The punchline is that for the fast moving targets, the light laser combo is a game changer. People tend to naturally center the white light on the target. In the center of the white light is the red laser dot. It does not take long at all for people to have an epiphany, realizing how much faster and easier it is to make fast hits, than fumbling with hand held lights. Massive performance difference.

The same holds true in force on force scenarios.

Is it needed? No. Is it a very serious advantage? Absolutely.

Edited to add mandatory top page pic:  :)  :)

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:05:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Crap, page 2! Going to have to get on my regular computer (versus my kindle) to post an image. Picture coming later to top post......
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:51:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Both.

EDC G17 with X300
EDC LX2 Lumamax
Go bag E2D Defender
Truck G2 Nitrolon
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:08:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Sometimes on my carry gun, always on the night stand gun
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#30]
right now on my hip is a full size 1911 with a TLR-1HL

Do I need it? Probably not, do I need the gun? Probably not again

I don't do handheld lights, I personally find them not only useless but that they make the actual gun less useful. For simple things like walking around looking for stuff, perfect, but weapon mounted lights allow two hands on the gun and allow the light to go wherever the gun is pointed without any doubt.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

mine came from gunners custom. no issues, fits well. I also have one from Griffen for another gun but this one works just fine and for the light.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 2:10:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Great for nightstands. Not so much for EDC for me.
View Quote

Pretty much my experience too. Now for a woods side arm, absolutely, only in a comfortable leather/kydex mix holster though...
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 2:16:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Comp-Tac's M-tac series is a great holster. However, they only make WML holsters for Glock's only, .
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:17:37 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 4:30:19 AM EDT
[#35]
A separate light is far more useful for me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:23:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
A separate light is far more useful for me.
View Quote

This is how I feel as a home owner.

If I was .mil or .leo,  I would go for an attached light.

As a home owner, concealability and non-aggressive outward appearance is more important to me.

One time I had a car parked out in front of my house for 1/2 hr.  Finally decided to investigate figuring it was kids getting high.   Put my gun in my pocket and walked out with just a flashlight.   Was just a realtor lost, and on her Iphone trying to figure out how to get home.

I see many more situations like this that end up being non-issues, than situations where I'm going into a room and will have to shoot at someone.

Going out with a gun and using its light to illuminate that car would have probably gotten me in the police report at a minimum.  In Mass I'd probably have to untangle myself from some legal issues.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:40:38 AM EDT
[#37]
At night, I carry an M&Pc with a TLR-3. I have a small handheld light, but if I have to pull at night, a pistol mounted light may not be a bad thing to have. I would rather have both hands on the gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top