Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2003 1:20:34 PM EDT
Hi all. Dillon catalog came today with article on the Walther P22. Anyone out there own one, have opinions on it? I like the looks of the 3.5" barrelled version. Retail is $250. And, are extra mags expensive? Is it worth looking in to?

Thanks,

Danny
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Good gun but they take a while to break in so that they run without too many jams.  Extra mags weren't too hard to find, and run around $20.  I paid $220 for my P22 with the 3" barrel at Galyans, but $250 isn't a bad price.  Plus they are easy to throw a suppressor on.  They're amazingly quiet with a Gemtech Outback on them.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 1:34:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Sportsmans Warehouse is selling the ext bbl version for $259  
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Guys! Which barrel length would you go for, 3.5 or 5"? Will use it more or less as a trail pistola.
EDIT: Easy to clean?
Danny
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the way the 3" barrel looks, YMMV.

Not hard at all to clean, but taking the thing apart is a PITA the first few times you do it.  Use the supplied guide rod and it's a snap.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Gunbert, I'll place my order this week. I only saw the short one and it did look cool. I wish they were like the Grendel, with a 30 round mag.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine broke. The trigger won't reset. Only about 2000 rounds through it too.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had mine for a while now and would do it all over again. I have the 3.5" and use it mostly for cheap training. I have the best luck making sure the rounds are angled upward in the mag before I insert it. It jams once in a while as do all .22's. Again I find it very ergonomic and cheap to shoot for training.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I had one...looked cool (3.5 barrel) I had to send it to get fixed, slide was sticking on hammer...I just could not hit shit with it...everyone who shot it liked the look of it, they just could not hit shit with it...

look around you can find them for about $200
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Shot one this past weekend.  It was brand new, and for the most part it worked great.

I was not familiar at all with the pistol the first time I handled it.

Loading the chamber on the first round usually jammed the action unless you used forward pressure to chamber the round.  The spring wasn't strong enough to ram that cartridge home the first time.  After I figured that out, the rest was gravy.

It ran great!  No jams, and pretty accurate for a little .22 auto.

I have a complaint about the weight though.  The gun was suprisingly small once I held it in my hand.  The pictures always make it look near-full sized.  It is small.  That means it is a little light.  It is a featherweight gun, and the trigger is a little stiff.  I end up pulling the round more or less to the right.

All in all though, aside from the size and weight, it is a great little shooter!  A Buckmark pistol it isn't, but it is fun.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I've put around 1500 rounds through mine now with out any problems from the gun at all. The ammo has given me a bit of trouble, but thats it. I have the 3.5" barrel. I think the other one looks funny. I just bought 5 mags from cheaperthandirt.com for $15 + change each. Thats about the best price I've seen around.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks Guys!

Mine should arrive any day now.

What ammo are you guys having the best luck with?

Thanks,

Danny
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone know where I can purchase a p22 with the 5 inch threaded barrel, I am in the Dallas/ Ft worth area and would be interested in a new or used model. thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 3:37:19 PM EDT
[#13]
They don't have threaded barrels, you can buy a thread adpter. Try gunbroker.com, or just ask around here Im sure somebody has one for sale. They go for about $30.00.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What ammo are you guys having the best luck with?
Danny

You know, I've had the best luck with Aguila Sniper SSS subsonic ammo.  It's got a really heavy bullet and a .22 short case, and it works 100% in my gun, which is far better than anything else I've tried.

Here's a link Auguila Sniper SSS
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:41:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
They don't have threaded barrels, you can buy a thread adpter. Try gunbroker.com, or just ask around here Im sure somebody has one for sale. They go for about $30.00.

Not to nitpick, but they do have threaded barrels.  The thread adaptor is still needed to make the smaller barrel threads work with standard threads on .22 cans and extends the barrel past the muzzle end of the slide.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Your right, I know what you mean, but they aren't threaded for a suppressor is what I meant. Or not that I've seen atleast.

Gunbert: I've used that Aguila Sniper SSS, and it does work well, but I always get flaming chunks of powder landing on my skin and burning me.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 11:04:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Gunbert: I've used that Aguila Sniper SSS, and it does work well, but I always get flaming chunks of powder landing on my skin and burning me.

I get that too... it's some weird powder mix they have in there.  But I love that smell they make!
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 6:26:56 AM EDT
[#18]
My P22 didn't make it this week, I suspect it wasn't ordered.

However, I found one in the EE with 50 rounds down the tube for $170 fairly close by.

Should have it by next weekend.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Only problem I ever had with mine was that it would'nt run on standard velocity stuff.  After I put a can on it though it's worked perfectly with everything.  FWIW, I bought a can and thread adapter from Craig Wheatly of Tactical Innovations.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Hi all. Picked mine up from a fellow board member yesterday. These seem to be fine pistols. A little tricky at first with takedown and reassembly. I changed to the lowest front sight and the big rear grip adapter and it's Great! It didn't like the Federal in the 550 pack from Wally World though. The CCI Velocitors make it humm to a different tune though. I'm tickled pink with it. Now to get 2 more mags and a holster.

Thanks for all your input guys.

Danny
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#21]
i bought one last week. ran 500rnds of federal high velocity and 200 rnds of aquilla colibri through it with zero problems.

It is also one of the few 22 pistols i have seen that will reliably feed aquilla colibi without extraction or feed problems.

I bought the Limited edition kit that came with the custom case and both barrels with 3 mags.

From a shooting standpoint i can't tell any accuracy difference in the 3 or 5" barrels at 25yrds. i can say the 5" would knock down plates at 25 where the 3" would not.

So far i really like this thing!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top