Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2003 3:48:18 PM EDT
hope this is okay to post here.this board gets most traffic..anywho...i have chance to get a 1974 S&W chrome, 4" barrel, 6 shot, 357. magnum..NIB , unfired, original grips , paperwork, etc..jus curious as to a good price..i dont wanna post selling price..i wanna see what it could/would/should sell for..thanks. ot btw, i did sum research and i believe it to be model 681..
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:40:32 AM EDT
[#1]
The 681 is the fixed sight/service model which would not be chrome as the number 681 indicates.
(the "6" prefix on a Smith means stainless)
I'm not so sure the 681/686 was around in '74 so I would guess, if nickled, it's a model 27 or a model 19.
Both good guns, the 27 being more expensive.
Good/fair price $300-$400 range, unfired, NIB may command a higher price, of course still not exactly sure which one we are speaking of.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:56:29 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks for info...not sure really now..bout model number i jus seen a guy like it listed on gunbroker so i figured be the same..but the gun is CHROME..or really shiny nickle. lol..it is unfired and NIB,,it has 4 " barrel, original wood grips..so ill research it sum more..thanks again..doin sum more research on model numbers it looks like model 19.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:05:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a S&W Nickel plated 586 (adjustable sights) Distinguished Combat Magnum, the 581 is the same gun with fixed sights.  Smith & Wesson produced these nickel plated guns until 1991 when they discontinued nickel plating and the production of both the 581 & 586.  Production began in 1981, so if your date of 1974 is correct, then it would more likely be a Model 19 or 27.  

The distinguishing factor for the 581/586 is the full-length underbarrel lug.
Check on the frame under the cylinder yoke, the model number should be there.  

The latest blue book value for your gun, if it is the 581/586 series, at 100%, is listed as $370.00 plus 5%-10% for the nickel finish.  If it is a Model 19, the value is listed as $345.00 plus $20.00 for nickel finish.  If it is a Model 27, the value is listed as $400.00 regardless of finish.

Hope this helps.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:14:08 AM EDT
[#4]
i found out its a model 13, its nickle (chrome) original box, cleaning rod, paperwork, i can pick it up for 370 OTD, so dunno..its unfired..so i dont know if i would want sumthing that i may not shoot..im not a collector i like to shoot , so dunno, thanks for replys
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:21:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Blue Book for the 13 is $310.00 in 100% plus $20.00 for nickel plating.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks , i really appreciate it.,
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:19:11 AM EDT
[#7]
They are great guns.  In blued form, they were the standard issue FBI gun with the 3" barrel for a VERY long time.  You'd be hard pressed to find a better all around gun with fixed sights (the Model 19 is the same gun with adjustable sights).  There isn't any rarity involved really, they made boatloads of them, and while the nickel finish is probably not as common as blue, it's certainly common.  In stainless, the gun is the Model 65.

There are plenty of police trade-ins available for dirt cheap, and while they are far from new, they keep the market price of this fine gun down to the level of reality.

I think $370 is just a tad high.  If you like the gun though, what's an extra couple bucks.  At least you don't have to worry about the quality or history of the gun.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#8]
thanks for good solid info guys..yeah i really like the gun (dunno why) it jus appeals to me for sum reason..and it is comfy in my hands..i have an old hi-way patrol K frame and it isnt has comfy..but then i would hate to buy it and not wanna shoot it..but i could get a shooter for cheaper..lol.so i dunno. i know the price wont come down any..oh well..thanks again
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#9]
The model 13 is a K frame..the HWY Patrol man (?) is the model 28, and is an N frame, and is lots bigger.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#10]
right now in equipment exchange is a model 65 3" (same gun, except stainless instead of chrome plated) new for $339. might be a better deal for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top