Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2005 10:23:25 PM EDT
What are the best reliable double stacks out there.  I have heard Para's are often hit or miss.  Are the STI guns worth the money.  What about the Kimber Ten II's.  I have read bad things about them too.

Are the magazines interchangeable between any of the double stack manufacturers?

Out of the single stacks, what are some good recomendations.  I really want double stack for IPSC, but if its not reliable, I'd rather have a good solid nightstand single stack with good 10 round mags and a light rail for a M3.

what are the best 10 round mags for single stacks.  Chip McCormick???
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:03:54 AM EDT
[#1]
If you want to try IPSC, start off with whatever gun you currently have - 1911, Sig, Beretta, etc. before you buy anything else.  You can shoot in L10 or Production and do just fine.

STI and SVI make *extremely* good pistols.  Very reliable, too.  They are the only 1911 doubletacks I would consider.

Wilson and CmC 10 rounders both have followings in L10, and are good products.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:07:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Who has good prices on STI and SVI

What about magazine interchangeability betweeen all doublestacks?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:38:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

A bunch of these issues depends on each individual gun and who built it, etc.  But the S_I guns generally seem to be the best for the IPSC game.  Once running good, they seem to go and go.

Anyway, the S_I series should use the same mags.

The Kimber uses a unique magazine but I have been told that S_I mags will work.  Para mags can be made to fit with a little work to the notch in the side of the tube.

I used a Kimber 10II for awhile.  It was a decent gun but would only feed round nose.  That's not too big an issue, really.  I fed it with a couple of modified Para mags and a few factory mags I happened to stumble upon at a gunshow.

I got rid of it and went to an STI for the additional capacity.  My STI has been generally flawless (at the gunsmith now getting a cracked hammer replaced) through about three years of shooting.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:44:01 AM EDT
[#4]
       If you decide on the STI/SVI make sure you get your mags from either Grams or Dawson. Out of the original 6 STI mags I bought I had to exchange 5 of them. Those were in .45. I now have an STI in .40 and the mags were "tuned" and number stamped by Dawson, they all seem to work fine.
       I`ve been told even the CEO of STI uses Grams mags. They are the best, not cheap, but very good.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:41:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I really want double stack for IPSC, but if its not reliable, I'd rather have a good solid nightstand single stack with good 10 round mags and a light rail for a M3.

what are the best 10 round mags for single stacks.  Chip McCormick???

Remember the new provisional single stack division is in effect as we speak.  Hope it takes off because that's what I plan on shooting this year.

If you are sold on a double stack I would suggest the S_I's also.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#6]

You'll find more STI dealers.  Prices will not vary much.

www.shooteresconnection.com
www.dawsonprecision.com
www.brazoscustom.com

STI and SVI mags are interchangeable.  Sometimes they need to be tuned.  www.gramsengineering.com does a fantastic job, not cheap, though.  

All the above vendors sell mags.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:26:00 AM EDT
[#7]
www.shootersconnection.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top