Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/26/2005 5:54:04 PM EDT
Took her out a few nights ago, noticed the slide wasn't locking back after unloading a mag. Got it home, and upon further inspection, found out why. The slide release lever won't "spring" back up, to lock it back. It "springs" itself downward. I noticed that the part, called the shaped spring is what's causing it to do this. It must have gotten bent or tweaked somehow, but I have no idea how it would have gotten like that. In this pic you can see the spring is wanting to bend down, not up. I seem to recall, that spring would ride in the middle of that hole. And I'm guessing this is something I'm going to have to send off to HK to have repaired, as I don't see a way to do it myself. Other than that, it still shoots fine, just won't lock back.

How do I go about getting this repaired? Send to HK?

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:52:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2005 5:55:00 PM EDT by Big-Bore]
There is nothing wrong with your USP that new mag springs won't cure. That shaped spring is exactly where it is supposed to be and doing exactly what it is supposed to do. That spring is supposed to push the slide release down or the slide release/lock would be engaging the slide and locking it back after every shot. Only when the mag is empty and the mag follower overcomes the small downward force the shaped spring has is the slide lock suppose to come up and lock the slide back. Weak mag springs, a very common HK problem, is what is causing the slide not to lock back. Get some Wolff +10% power mag springs and kiss you slide problems good-by forever.

(That spring is what keeps the slide from locking back when the mag is removed. If the spring pushed up on the slide lock/release then when no mag was in it the slide would still lock back.)
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:11:09 PM EDT
Well I'll be damned.
I grabbed one of my empty 10rd promag
mags that I had laying around, put it in, and
it freaking locked back. Thanks for the post
and clearing up what was really wrong with it.

And saving me the trouble of possibly having
to send it off to HK.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:13:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2005 8:15:23 PM EDT by KillAgain]
I had that happen to a mag that I left loaded to full capacity at all times. I just streched the spring by hand. I pulled the 4th coil down from the follower and it has worked flawlessly ever since. Try that with the old spring and tell me how it does.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:22:18 PM EDT
Yeah, my USP is my carry weapon, so it's mags stay fully loaded all the time. Which of course is going to weaken the spring over time. And I never thought about that being the cause of my problem.

I'll try what you did and see what happens.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:50:30 AM EDT
I trust you use the promag's for range use and not carry use?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:54:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/28/2005 10:55:29 AM EDT by wheelow]
Oh yeah. I don't dare use the promags for carry use.

ETA : Forgot to mention, I gave the HK mag springs a few good tugs, put them back in, and the HK mags are locking it back again. It won't last long I'm sure, but long enough until I can get some wolff springs in them.
Page Handguns » H&K
Top Top