Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2011 7:01:30 PM EDT
Had the chance to leave work a little early today, so I decided to head on over to the range.  There are a number of guns that I've been interested in potentially adding to the collection and thought this would be the day to check a few out.  

Since the range requires you to buy their ammo, if you use their guns, I decided to pick one caliber.  147 gr. AE in 9mm.  With that ammo, I tested:

Beretta 92fs
Glock 19
Ruger LC9
Kahr cm9

The Beretta felt great in my hand (not too big as some have said) and shot very comfortably.  However, it was a total jam-o-matic.  Very disappointing.  Hopefully, just an over used range gun, but it was terrible.  Every third round or so would FTF.  Had zero problems with the other three.

Glock 19 was, of course, very smooth, problem free and rather accurate.  An indoor range so not a huge distance but I was pleased with the groups.  This was a Gen 3 gun which is what I've been considering.  A G-19 gen. 3 will very likely be my next gun purchase.

The little Ruger handled and shot much better than a thought it would.  Actually very nice given the size.  I liked it much better than the Kahr, which surprised me.  Actually, I didn't care for the Kahr at all, which again, surprised me.  Perhaps other Kahr models would fit me better but I have no use for the cm9.  Given the very affordable price, I will definitely pick up an LC9 at some point.  I'll give it a little more time to see if there are any recalls, but I will add one sooner or later.

Last point of note:  while I read a lot, doing my own tests is certainly a lot more fun!  
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:32:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I bet the Beretta wasn't oiled properly due to it being a range gun, IMO. They personify the adage "like a well-oiled machine". Just a few drops here & there on one & they normally run like a top.

Was the Beretta more accurate then the Glock when you shot them?
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 4:19:50 AM EDT
[#2]
it just goes to show what you may like or not may not be true for others.  same for how they "FEEL".  

afa function goes, i chalk it up to use/abuse and ammo.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 5:45:27 AM EDT
[#3]
The m9/92's are usually pretty damn reliable, sounds like something was wrong with that one.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I bet the Beretta wasn't oiled properly due to it being a range gun, IMO. They personify the adage "like a well-oiled machine". Just a few drops here & there on one & they normally run like a top.

Actually, no.  I would bet than on average, the full size Beretta would be more accurate than the compact Glock.  However, not with this particular example.  Too bad as this was the 1st and only Beretta I've ever shot.  As stated, I'm chocking this one up to an over used/under maintained rental.  A little odd since this facility typically has newer well maintained guns available.  

I'll definitely try a 92 again at some point.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, no.  I would bet than on average, the full size Beretta would be more accurate than the compact Glock.  However, not with this particular example.  Too bad as this was the 1st and only Beretta I've ever shot.  As stated, I'm chocking this one up to an over used/under maintained rental.  A little odd since this facility typically has newer well maintained guns available.  

I'll definitely try a 92 again at some point.

I'm almost positive that range Beretta 92 has thousands of rounds down the pipe with no maintainability. The jamming could be due to the recoil spring being used far past its intended life cycle. The same could be said for the magazine springs as well as the extractor. The Berretta 92f is one of the best pistols out there for reliability. Give the 92 another chance at a better range, not ran by hacks.
Top Top