Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 8/7/2002 5:21:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2002 5:23:14 PM EDT by sig_230]
while I was down in Texas. It sure was fun. This old pistol is 82 years old now and I admit I was somewhat afraid to pull the trigger the first time. But as the outline of the head rapidly dissappeared, I grew a little more confident.

So here's the report. The trigger was classic Smith, smooth as ball bearings on glass. And once I got used to the sights, it was right on POA. The shaft on the clynder shook loose after a few runs and was hard to open. A quick twist of the knob on the end and the problem went away.

The tiny grip took some getting used to until I realized that you need to shoot it like an old SA, let it rock in your hand and come back on target. Once I stopped trying to hold the grip the way I would a modern target grip, the smile on my face took up three lanes.

I guess I'll pack her up and put her away for awhile, but I sure do intend to bring her out for a rousing 100th birtday.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 1:24:23 PM EDT
Didn`t that ammo box say.."use only in modern guns that are in good condition"..?.......(kidding.....kidding)........
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:21:45 PM EDT
good to see im not the only fella here that has a weakness for 4 screw smiths.

Ive got one of these beauties myself. 4 digit serial number, made in april of 1917 all original non imported complete with "united states property" under the barrel.

she was in bad enough shape about 50% when i bought her .
I didnt feel guilty about restoring her to her former original glory re-case colored and all.
if i get the time ill snap a pic and post it.

I even came across a small lot of 1917 manufactured 45 acp ball ammo. I thought it was only fitting that i fire em in the old 1917.

if you want to see that old girl sing find yourself some 185 grain jacketed semi wad cutters.

Link Posted: 8/10/2002 11:40:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BlackandGreen:
Didn`t that ammo box say.."use only in modern guns that are in good condition"..?.......(kidding.....kidding)........

Yeah, I think I did see something about that. Good thing I didn't look until after I'd shot that day because I also let the 1909 Colt New Service have some lane time too.
Top Top