Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2004 9:06:39 AM EDT
Are these quality pistiols for the money or should I just steer clear?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#1]
The quality of AMT guns is kind of variable, ie some are real good and some are real bad, and everything else in-between. I would shoot a box of factory ammo and see what happens before you put down your hard-earned money.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:55:41 AM EDT
[#2]
+1

I have owned two.  The first one I got was cheap and worked flawlessy with 2000+ rounds.  I traded the first one in on a gold cup.  Later, I bought the second one, which appeared in way better shape than the first one ever was when I had it.   The second one had several misfeeds on the first box of ammo.  After a new extractor, new springs and 500 rounds, I declared the second one POS and sold it for a loss as POS.   The guy who bought the second one had some gunsmithing work (polishing/tuning) done on it and still has it as a "range" gun because it still misfeeds, even with wilson mags. every once in a while.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Even though my avatar has dual AMT ballers, I'd still go with the Springy.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:51:26 PM EDT
[#4]
try using a little FP10 on the Hardballers...according to one of the AMT guys I know this stuff is some kind of miracle oil that the AMT guns love to death...it has to do with the stainless steels used in the Hardballer pistols.  The FP10 just has the "right stuff" in it and it really makes 'em shine.  I'm getting some for my Auto Mag.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:34:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Hard to find parts for. No warrenty available. Few aftermarket parts. I'd go with the Springy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I owned one back in the early 90's.  It wasn't as reliable as I would like: FTE,FTF etc.  Tried different ammo, mags. and some polishing.  Finally just sold it.  Buy a Springfield and you won't be sorry.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I would only buy an AMT if I knew the history of it (like from a friend) and was able to try it before I bought it...
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:34:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't know. It was just one of those things where I saw one at a gun show and it looked cool, but... I lready own a stainless steel Kimber. I thought the hardballer might be nice for a beater 1911. It sounds like it wouldn't even big good for that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one of the early longslides.  Now it may only be because it has 2" more between the sights, but it outshoots my Kimber Super Match and Les Baer with the 1 1/2" group at 50 yards guarantee.  I also use to go to the kitchen and garage to get my lube.  Now I use some moly-grease from Brownells
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top