Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 9:05:44 PM EDT
I want a 45 1911 but I dont know which one. I was looking to spend less than $750.00 Total but prefer to keep it less than $600.00. I know the old addage you get what you pay for this will pretty much be a fun toy, range gun. But in the case of SHTF it might be used. I am brand new to 1911's and dont know which ones are good. I am reading all of this stuff about MIM and how some say its OK for some parts and others disagree to both extremes of the sprctrum. So I am a little cornfused as to which one to buy. I dont CCW because I just avoid those places that you need to be packing. And mostly because of my jobs I'm not allowed to carry there either. So in a nut shell this 45 will pretty much be a fun toy, range gun, plinker. I dont shoot in competitions nor do I now or ever will. I just want to make sure that the gun that I buy isnt a total POS and one that will last me. If MIM is not that bad of a thing which gun should I get I always thought that Kimber was the shit. But as I read some of these threads it appears to me that damn near all of the guts are all made from MIM. But a colt from what I hear is not? And this colt can be had brand new for around $600 OTD? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I got a Springfield Mil-Spec for $560 OTD. In CA. Functioned flawlessly, except for the fact that I got horrible hammer bite from it.

They're as budget as you get.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:29:01 PM EDT
[#2]
This is the gun I was actually thinking about getting but from what I read the whole gun is MIM on the inside.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:51:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I just bought a new SA Loaded in parkerized finish for under $700. Yeah, it's got MIM parts. If it becomes a problem, or I simply decide to do so, I can change them out at will for tool steel parts. But the gun should function, and reading your first post, it sounds like it'd fit the bill nicely.

I am not sure, but I doubt you'll find a 1911 without MIM in your price range. Does anyone know if the new Colt 70's repro contains MIM parts? I think it can be had in your range as well, but won't have the extras the SA Loaded does. Then again, it's a Colt!

T Bone (Detroit)
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:00:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I would recommend the SA as well.  As far as MIM parts....peruse that tacked thread started by Hobbs on top.  That should give you an idea and help you make a decision.  Good luck on your purchase!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're not competiting, nor carrying, just a Mil-Spec Springfield is the ticket.  You can upgrade later with extended safeties, beavertails, sights and stuff like that if you want, but as it sets, its a great range plinker.  The only MIM part that would even concern me would be the extractor.  For your use, just wait until it stops working and replace it with a Wilson.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:14:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I got a 9109L loaded parkerized for $600 + tax.  It's a fine piece.  Very accurate, Novak night sights, stainless barrel and all the other goodies.  I replaced the guide rod and plug with an Ed Brown GI length rod and plug.  Added a Hogue grip and now it's my second best shooter.  MJD
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Springfield Mim-spec
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Now if you want no MiM you could always order a Springfield PRO, Rock River Arms, Wilson, Nighthawk, Brown, Baer or get a Yost #1

or a Sig GSR.  I'm not a fan of external extractors, firing pin safeties nor the speed bump grip safety they have, but that's a hell of a gun for the money.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:26:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now if you want no MiM you could always order a Springfield PRO, Rock River Arms, Wilson, Nighthawk, Brown, Baer or get a Yost #1

or a Sig GSR.  I'm not a fan of external extractors, firing pin safeties nor the speed bump grip safety they have, but that's a hell of a gun for the money.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#11]
btt
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This is the gun I was actually thinking about getting but from what I read the whole gun is MIM on the inside.

Doesn't matter. If your budget is below $1400, you are going to get MIM parts in an off the shelf gun. No two ways about it.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#13]
we have a kimber custom II at the range for 760.00, with internal exactor, good deal? i'm thinking about grabbing it at tax time.  discounted of course
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I got a Springfield Mil-Spec for $560 OTD. In CA. Functioned flawlessly, except for the fact that I got horrible hammer bite from it.

They're as budget as you get.

The Springfield GI model is even less and they are great pistols!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I picked up a used SA Mil-Spec for $400, and found it to work extremely well as a plinker.  The sights were fairly good, it was accurate, and fed FMJ and SWC lead which were the only two types I tried. I would highly recomend them!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#16]
i'd look at a Sringfield Loaded or a Kimber Custom (internal extractor)

maybe used, but definitly look at em
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:03:32 AM EDT
[#17]
...........go to aim surplus .com......check thier handgun offerings
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top