Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 6:40:48 PM EDT
I like having the ability to attach a light to the pistol, but is it really practical?

What are the pros and cons to have a light mounted to the pistol?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#1]
A light on a handgun has a very specific use. One, that if you're not LEO or .mil, you probably won't encounter.

As a civilian and something goes bump in the night you can search with a flashlight in your weak hand and keep your TLE in retention with your strong hand. This way, if that bump is your son you don't cover your son with your muzzle when you ID them. Remember, rule #1, never point your gun at something you're not willing to destroy.Also, you've just made it more difficult for that bad guy to keep track of you (move the flashlight around, flashlight techniques but that's a different thread) and with your gun in retention it is easier for you to retain your handgun if the situation goes to shit. Anything close enough to identify with the flashlight you ought to be able to engage one handed. Get a good surefire with a lanyard and you're all set.

Unless of course, you just want it for the Gee whizz bang factor.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not both the pistol mounted light and the handeld light?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Why not both the pistol mounted light and the handeld light?

Sure. Standard ARFCOM answer of "Get both!" but the man was asking about COST.

Besides look at the other factors. Holsters for the TLE/RL are difficult at best to find. To my knowledge only one maker currently has a holster out for the TLE/RL and thats made specifically to work with a Surefire X200.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#4]
What sort of situations does the military/LE encounter in which they must use a pistol light?

Is covering somebody with the muzzle still an issue if you live alone (say if a LEO happens to enter your house)?  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What sort of situations does the military/LE encounter in which they must use a pistol light?

Is covering somebody with the muzzle still an issue if you live alone?

Moving hostages out of the way, using a ballistic shield etc. It goes on and on.

If you live alone maybe not, but what if its the landlord, the next door neighbor's daughter etc. The point of the matter is you don't want to cover anyone with a your weapon unless you know they are a threat. Correct?

If you want the rail, go get one with the rail.

Edit: For your LEO edit, you come around the corner with the gun on him, well things could get interesting, but a flashlight? Who knows, but why make it worse.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Makes sense to me.

BTW, I am not questioning your logic.  You seem to be very learned in this area, and I would like to know more about what your beliefs are on pistol lights.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#7]
If I had it to do all over again I would get the Warrior with the Dawson rail so I could have exact copy of the MARSOC Det 1 pistol. Im bragging, but I have a hook me up that can get me the unreleased to the public pistol light they are using :-)   As it is now Im quite happy with mine with an M3 instead of the surfire.  Now if I could just get a holster for the dam thing.  Nothing worse than having a pistol all ready to go, but nothing to carry it in to work.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Makes sense to me.

BTW, I am not questioning your logic.  You seem to be very learned in this area, and I would like to know more about what your beliefs are on pistol lights.

That's cool. Good luck in your decision. It's just the conclusion I have come to and therefore, my advice. YMMV.

Before you go buy though, go find out what the availability of those "other" accessories you need are. Like holsters.... (Galco Avenger for a Sig 226 works fairly well with the TLE/RL , but then you can't have the light on it)

Edit: See what I mean? Psywar found out... (But he'sa LEO (right?))

If I think of who makes the TLE/RL & X200 combo kydex holster I'll post it. It's escaping me at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I`m pretty sure that it`s Sidearmor.  Seems like a great holster, but they`re all right hand only.

I don`t think the holster availability is much of a concern since it won`t be a carry gun, and I`m sure they will come up with a good holster down the road.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I`m pretty sure that it`s Sidearmor.  Seems like a great holster, but they`re all right hand only.

I don`t think the holster availability is much of a concern since it won`t be a carry gun, and I`m sure they will come up with a good holster down the road.

You should have a holster for every gun!

G'luck with your choice.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Rail?  Well that depends on if you are really going to put a light on it.  

There are LOTS of guys ar the range who show off their new toys with rails and say "ohh look at my rail... isnt it cool? I could put a light on it if I wanted to" but then never really put lights on them.  

If you are going to really put a light on it then yes... get the rail.  If not dont bother.

Or the other course of thought... it dont hurt nuthin by havin it, so why not?  Holsters accomodating them are getting more and more common.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Im not an LEO, just an overseas security contractor, Merc if your of the Kerry/Edwards Ilk :-)
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im not an LEO, just an overseas security contractor, Merc if your of the Kerry/Edwards Ilk :-)

Roger that. Well my thoughts still apply.

I've got an X200 I'll sell ya and then you could get that sidearmor holster...

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#14]
You will want both a weapon light and a flashlight.

If you feel "safe", the gun will be in the holster, the flashlight in one hand, and the other hand free to open doors, turn on lights, etc.

If you feel it's time to draw the gun, then consider a grip mounted remote switch for the weapon light.  Your other hand is still free for doors, light switches etc.  The weapon light can be kept pointed at the floor and still give off  enough light to let you see.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top