Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2006 8:22:19 AM EDT
I have owned a Bulgarian Mak for a few years now and think that its a fine piece of utilitarian work.

That said, I no longer consider it a good candidate for a CCW - here's why.

1. European style but mounted magazine release.  This is my biggest concern.  I've been carrying it the last couple of days and have noticed that the release is so easy to trip while just moving around, doing things - and I don't mean anything strenuous or with heavy contact.  Remember, traditional Eastern bloc mil. holsters had the broad top flap which protected the butt of the pistol, and in turn, the mag release from accidental engagement...

2.  Seemingly impossible to find a good IWB holster without having one custom made.  I ordered the Falco from Makarov.com (great little operation by the way - always excellent service) and find the holster to have two major flaws.  First the belt loop snap unsnaps easily - again while just going about the tasks of a normal day.  SEcond:  There is a metal plate riveted on  which has sharp edges and it is DIRECTLY against your skin (unless you tuck your t-shirt in under it.

It still makes a fine vehicle (glovebox) pistol.

Link Posted: 9/14/2006 8:19:51 AM EDT
[#1]
26 views and not one comment.

Am I right?  Am I full of it?  Am I overlooking another solution?

What do you folks do to get around this problem?

I would carry it in a heartbeat if I could find a way around the mag release problem...
Link Posted: 9/14/2006 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#2]
at least you arent left handed... consider the lack of holster options and the choice between carrying safety off or unchambered.

i like the makarov a lot. i think it lends itself to back pocket and cargo pocket carry. also, i wonder how the KBG/secret police types carried. a shoulder holster maybe? that would seem to eliminate the mag release problems.

its kind of a historical joke, which are plenty among C&R guns, that american citizens are now carrying communist murder weapons to defend ourselves. i would definately like to figure a way to carry one without having a shoulder holster custom made.

what loadings do you carry in 9mm mak?
Link Posted: 9/14/2006 9:42:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
at least you arent left handed... consider the lack of holster options and the choice between carrying safety off or unchambered.

i like the makarov a lot. i think it lends itself to back pocket and cargo pocket carry. also, i wonder how the KBG/secret police types carried. a shoulder holster maybe? that would seem to eliminate the mag release problems.

its kind of a historical joke, which are plenty among C&R guns, that american citizens are now carrying communist murder weapons to defend ourselves. i would definately like to figure a way to carry one without having a shoulder holster custom made.

what loadings do you carry in 9mm mak?

Hehe, actually I AM a Southpaw!

I carry Barnhaul 95 gr JHPs in it for now.  I bought a bunch of it when I got the pistol and it shoots well, and I trust it to go bang...
Link Posted: 9/22/2006 7:15:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a Dillon OWB holster that works pretty pretty well at the range, but I haven't tried it for CCW yet.  I don't know if they still make though.  Is your mag release kind of loose?  Mine seems tight and take a little force to undo.
Link Posted: 9/22/2006 7:35:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Sure.  I have 2 that I bought for a nice plinker, but I've carried it for CCW more than once.  It's not like it's the hardest hitting round out there, but I still don't want to get hit by one.  

It's been in the fanny pack, an anckle rig, and I have an IWB for it.

I LOVE how the firing pin lovingly "kisses" the primer!  I always say that it's the foreplay action!  

Link Posted: 9/26/2006 4:22:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Topknot:

I use a Bulgarian Mak as my primary CCW weapon.

I have not experenced the issue with tripping the mag release, but my mag release spring takes considerable force to trip.  This is due to my bending the spring just a bit to increase the force of the spring on the magazine.

I use a DeSantis 001 D3 Speed Scabbard with thumb break and have yet to experience the thumb break coming unsnapped.  The DeSantis also has one of those metal spring clips shown in your thread starting pic, but it hasn't caused me discomfort.  I'd suggest applying a piece of self-stick moleskin to the "skin" side of the clip, and using black shoe dye or edge dressing to blacken the moleskin.

I second your choice of carry ammo; the Barnaul JHC is well-regulated in my Mak and the bullet expands quite effectively in tissue, as evidenced on a fresh road kill deer about three years ago.  I'm glad that I bought 4000 rds of the stuff when it was still available.

Noah
Link Posted: 9/28/2006 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#7]
This is the holster I use for any/all guns I conceal:
http://www.m1911.org/lcs.htm
Their actual website is: www.handgunconcealment.com, but it appears their site is down right now. The first site I listed will at least give you an idea of what it's like. I have shown this holster to my friends, and over the course of the last several years, I've ordered 22 of them for myself and friends. They offer a 40% discount if you order 8 or more from their website(the one that's down right now), but you probably won't be able to generate much interest from friends etc. until you actually have one in hand. The flap that sticks outside of the pant contains a pair of spring steel clips, that's what keeps it secure inside the waistband. I like that it doesn't require a belt, and that you can just slip the holster on and off very easily. It's very secure, I've never had the slightest issue with a gun moving around or even trying to fall out of it, no matter what activity I've been involved in. I've been using one of these for about 8 years now. I love it.
Tim
Link Posted: 9/29/2006 8:20:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Noah, I will take a look at that spring and see if I can "adjust it" a bit.  Will also go pick up some moleskin.  Thanks for the advice.

Link Posted: 10/2/2006 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sure.  I have 2 that I bought for a nice plinker, but I've carried it for CCW more than once.  It's not like it's the hardest hitting round out there, but I still don't want to get hit by one.  

Don't tell that to the Bulgarian police

Link Posted: 10/5/2006 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Hehe, touche!

Link Posted: 10/8/2006 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I think Bianchi makes an IWB for it, I'm going to be buying one soon for mine.

I have 2 Maks, both require considerable effort to release the mag. You may want to look around for a new spring or something, sounds to me like yours is wore out.
Link Posted: 10/8/2006 5:21:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's a decent holser

I use a simular Bianchi rig for my J frame now, the belt clip is very sturdy! WAY better than uncle mikes junk! This what I'll probablly buy.

This is the holster I have, I think Cheaper than dirt has the size for the Mak
availible with thumb snap also

They don't list the last 2 as fiting a Mak, but check with Bianchi to see what size in what model will fit it before ordering from anyone.
Link Posted: 11/4/2006 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I love my Mak, but it's just a gun for shooting at the range.  All emotional attachments to the gun aside, there are far better guns for daily CCW (e.g. Glock 19 or 26).  That said, of course I still love my Rushkie high-cap.
Link Posted: 11/4/2006 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I carry my Mak in the warmer months with skimpier clothing, and I have never had a problem with the mag release...
Link Posted: 11/10/2006 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I carry my Mak in the warmer months with skimpier clothing, and I have never had a problem with the mag release...

Not that I doubt your veracity, but would you happen to have any photographic proof of your above statement Ms. Mami?  With the Colonel's permission, of course.
Link Posted: 11/10/2006 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I carry mine in a DeSantis holster that they've unfortunately discontinued. I carry my PPK or my Makaov 99% of the time.

That DeSantis is nice. I wish they'd make another run of em'.
Link Posted: 11/10/2006 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

What kind of belt and holster do you use?
Link Posted: 11/10/2006 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I have a Makarov, and I did consider using it for CCW briefly. That was before hurricane Katrina.
The aftermath of that storm was the impetus to buy a real CCW pistol. My Kahr PM9 is smaller than
my Makarov, lighter than my Makarov, and packs more of a punch. Hell, it's thinner, too. The Makarov
is a sweet pistol, and if you can't afford a better CCW pistol it should do fine. Much better than a .22
or .25.

Sam
Link Posted: 11/10/2006 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The Makarov
is a sweet pistol, and if you can't afford a better CCW pistol it should do fine. Much better than a .22 or .25.

Sam

115gr bullet at a measured 1000fps is what I'd call substantially better than a .22 or .25, and for the price of a Kahr you can buy two Makarovs and a case of ammo.
Link Posted: 11/10/2006 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#20]
True dat. I'm not saying that a Makarov is a bad choice, I nearly carried a Mak myself. I'm just saying that
when I got a little more serious about it, I found something that I liked better:

9x18       95gr     1017fps  218fpe    
9x19     115gr     1240fps  392fpe

My PM9 weighs less, is shorter in height, shorter in length, narrower and fires a more powerful cartridge.
I'm by no means belittling the PM. I have one and I love it.

Now, if I were to carry a 9x18, I think I might carry a CZ-82 in 9x18. The nifty factor is about as high
as the PM, and it holds more ammo.

Sam
Link Posted: 11/10/2006 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Visual evidence

Sam
Link Posted: 11/16/2006 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Kansas recently passed conceled carry that goes into effect in Jan.  I plan on using my IJ-70 Mak.  It does everything that I need it to do, and had a better trigger than I had expected.  Not to mention it is 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 11/17/2006 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I really like my Bulgy Mak, but I think I just found something even better. I brought
my new CZ-82 to the range today. Man, that is a *SWEET* pistol. The trigger's better
than my Mak, and it seems to be more accurate. I'm not giving up my Mak anytime
soon, though.

Sam
Link Posted: 12/11/2006 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have owned a Bulgarian Mak for a few years now and think that its a fine piece of utilitarian work.

1. European style but mounted magazine release.  This is my biggest concern.  I've been carrying it the last couple of days and have noticed that the release is so easy to trip while just moving around, doing things - and I don't mean anything strenuous or with heavy contact.  Remember, traditional Eastern bloc mil. holsters had the broad top flap which protected the butt of the pistol, and in turn, the mag release from accidental engagement...

I agree.  I bought two Bulgie Maks at the same time.  One is still in the cosmolene, and the other cleaned up and is used as a shooter.  I used it for CCW in OR, but didn't like the mag release.  I ended up buying a Kahr P9.  Still have the Maks though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2006 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What kind of belt and holster do you use?

Just saw this...

I have two holsters for it, one that fits on my belt, and one that clips on the waistband.  I'll have to check the brands when I get home.  (It's winter, so right now it is XD/Uncle Mike, and the Mak is the bed gun...)

Of course, I am typing this from work (public school) so I am currently unarmed and vulnerable.

Link Posted: 12/17/2006 7:20:20 AM EDT
[#26]
I use a Falco shouler rig made for the Makarov.  It is horizontal carry with a double mag pouch.  It's pretty much a knock-off of the Galco shoulder rigs.  It's very well made and works great with my Makarov.
Link Posted: 12/17/2006 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Glock 19 ?....Glock 26?.....yea thats great if ya live in maine and wear blue jeans , coveralls and a heavy jacket for 11 months out of the year. But when shorts and a t-shirt are due....its mak time!    (I do carry a Glock 27 in the few cold months down here in Ga) , but its just hard to slide that G27 anywhere that dosn't make me look like I got a third boob or huge tumor.

I carried a kel tec p32 but I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with it , + sights suck, + trigger pull was soooooooo long it felt weird, and .32acp vs 9X18mak .....duh , I'll trade the weight diff , bigger than Keltec p32 ....smaller than my G27  = just right.
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 5:27:13 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.  I bought two Bulgie Maks at the same time.  One is still in the cosmolene, and the other cleaned up and is used as a shooter.  I used it for CCW in OR, but didn't like the mag release.  I ended up buying a Kahr P9.  Still have the Maks though.

I haven't had that problem with the mag release, indeed, quite the opposite. I rather like the mag release, since it is tough on mine to lose a mag by inadvertently having it come loose at a bad time. Mag changes are a bit slow, but a small key ring on the mag release helps as a grab point.

I like the safety too, since I can carry the Mak in a no-name IWB holster (w/ a 2 piece velcro top strap) with a round in the chamber, hammer down, safety on, and movement or- God forbid- dropping the gun will not set it off. The floating firing pin is a safe feature.

When shooting, I pull the gun out from the holster, and as I do,  I unsnap the safety with my right thumb, and fire the first shot in single action. The first trigger pull is tough, but with practice you get used to it. Last night I shot CCW style/draw at the indoor range, and got most of the shots from 2 mags on an 8x11 sheet of paper at 50' in about 30 seconds- a good night, for sure, but it can be done with a Mak and practice.

There are better guns out there, but not for the money a Mak costs.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#29]
height=8
1. European style but mounted magazine release. This is my biggest concern. I've been carrying it the last couple of days and have noticed that the release is so easy to trip while just moving around, doing things - and I don't mean anything strenuous or with heavy contact. Remember, traditional Eastern bloc mil. holsters had the broad top flap which protected the butt of the pistol, and in turn, the mag release from accidental engagement...

In years of carrying Pistolet Makarova, I have never had this problem!!
Neither have I had it with any other European mag release guns I own, such as the Walther P5 or the P38!!!

You are right about the early holster situation.Back then, I had a custom kydex IWB holster made. But now, many holster makers make product for the gun. Dillon comes to mind right off the top of my head. I think his are made by Mitch Rosen. Bianchi makes it's #100 Professional for the Makarov. I have the same for my PPK/S and it is a fine holster without the annoying atributes of the Falco. Kramer Leather makes a whole host of holsters for the Makarov. I'm sure there are others, but these will suffice to make my point.

I therefore reject your arguments against carrying the Makarov as a defensive tool.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

1. European style but mounted magazine release. This is my biggest concern. I've been carrying it the last couple of days and have noticed that the release is so easy to trip while just moving around, doing things - and I don't mean anything strenuous or with heavy contact. Remember, traditional Eastern bloc mil. holsters had the broad top flap which protected the butt of the pistol, and in turn, the mag release from accidental engagement...

In years of carrying Pistolet Makarova, I have never had this problem!!
Neither have I had it with any other European mag release guns I own, such as the Walther P5 or the P38!!!

You are right about the early holster situation.Back then, I had a custom kydex IWB holster made. But now, many holster makers make product for the gun. Dillon comes to mind right off the top of my head. I think his are made by Mitch Rosen. Bianchi makes it's #100 Professional for the Makarov. I have the same for my PPK/S and it is a fine holster without the annoying atributes of the Falco. Kramer Leather makes a whole host of holsters for the Makarov. I'm sure there are others, but these will suffice to make my point.

I therefore reject your arguments against carrying the Makarov as a defensive tool.

+1

i carry a .45 Millennium Pro PT-145 now,.. but for a while all i had that was easy to carry was my little Russian PM,..i kept it in a Phobus holster and all was good in the world as far as i was concerned.

never had a problem with the mag release,. holster,. or pistol in any way.

if i did not have the .45 i would carry the Russian PM again without any hesitation,.not bad for a 30 year old pistol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top