Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2004 5:48:31 PM EDT
Test Market for Possible New Glock Item

Hello,

I have an opportunity to possibly manufacture a new item for Glocks. What I'm trying to do is see how all you Glockers respond to the idea.

The idea:

This item would be a accessory rail that mates to the lower dust cover in front of the trigger guard. For 1st and 2nd generation Glock 17's and 2nd generation Glock 22's first then maybe others later depending how well the first item sells. The rail would be made of nylon 6 polymer, and match Glocks in color & texture. It would mate up to the Glock with very close tolerances so it would appear to be "part of the frame" and look as similar to the Glock factory rail as possible. There would be a slot that corresponds to the serial number plate so it is easily seen without removing the rail.

Three possible mounting options; One mounting method would require two small holes to be through the dust cover, one between the muzzle and the serial number plate. The other between the serial number plate and the trigger guard. These holes would facilitate two small screws and possibly a thin metal support plate on the inside of the dust cover. At the time of purchase of the rail two small plugs of nylon 6 polymer would be furnished that would be used to fill the holes matching color and texture in the event you should ever want to remove the rail. Restoring the pistol back to it's "almost" original configuration. Face it the majority of Glocks may be prized possessions of their owners but are by no means collectibles.

Two optional mounting methods could be a permanent adhesive that affixes the rail but will NOT be removable.

Or another adhesive that would securely hold the rail semi-permanently until you were ready to remove it.

I understand that many Glock owners prefer the lack of finger grips due to the variety of hand sizes. I also understand that many handgunners form an attachment to certian pistols and trick them out or tune them to their personal needs. Some of these pistols could be a prized posession to the owner but deemed worthless to someone else because of the extent of some of the available modifications. One mans treasure is another mans junk! To each his own! It is a shame to practiclly give away a tuned Glock when selling because you want rails but none have been available. Other than sending your pistol out to someone who will cut them in for too much money. Or that flashlight company who will sell you an oversized bulky bolt on adapter.

This item if possible will sell for under $50.00.

Anyway let me have some feed back please and we will see what happens.

Thanks for your time and your feedback! Paul

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#1]
might have a problem covering up the sn.  post this in general so the lawyer types can give you an opinion.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:18:29 AM EDT
[#2]
He said a slot is placed to view the S/N

Paul,

Screw mount and adhesive at the same time for a really permanent mount.

AND let me know as soon as you want to make ANY as I will get two of them. Even if they are still beta models.

I have a first gen G17 with grip reduction and inside work. The only thing she needs is the rail added.  If Glock would make a factory non-finger grip/grip reduced/but with rail I would have to buy at least four of them. Until then I have changes made to make the gun work for me and the wife.

MUST HAVE RAILS- make them soon...................please.

Even if you don't do full production I would like to buy a couple of beta models.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:52:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the idea. The set screw model would work for me.

edited to add: The price seems a little high. You may have a hard time moving them at $50.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:08:26 AM EDT
[#4]
this was tried, and found not acceptable, as the frame is not supported well enough, and the weight of a light on an older frame causes malfunctions of the pistol......due to flexing of the too weak frame.

I cant recall the actual references, but I looked at doing this eight or nine years ago, and found this information, and verified it. I think Surefire may still have something on their web site about it, but I am not sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top