Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 10:34:35 AM EDT
My dad gave me one for graduation.  Does anyone else have one?  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Sometimes derogatorily called the "Double Beagle". Most people say they're a POS, I was warned away from them several years ago when I thought about buying one.

I have never seen one sold at a gun show in about 15 years of attending them, FWIW.

Obviously, since your Dad gave it to you it has some sentimental value. Keep it oiled well & just hang onto it. Maybe give it to your kid one day?

My .o2
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#2]
For years various gun writers pleaded with Colt to come out with a double action 1911.  Finally Colt did, aka the Double Eagle.  And the gun buying public took one look and said "Ah, yeah, no thanks".   The thing sank like a stone.

I've seen maybe three of them.  One when they first came out (the dealer would not let anyone touch it let alone cycle it) and maybe one or two others used.  I know of no one who ever owned one.  And that's saying something.  Name just about any other firearm, especially pistols, I probably know some one who has one.  But not the Double Eagle.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I handled one at a gun show years ago. The double action pull was the nicest I have felt on a DA/SA auto. Ended up buying a Sig 220, however.

Nick
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:45:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one model 1 in 45ACP.  First, the DA trigger is heavy(about 10lbs) but short, SA trigger is pretty good for an out of the box gun about 6lbs or so.  Some parts from a Colt 1911 will fit on a Double Eagle.  Sandard 1911 field disasembly. The left grip panel holds this little thing-a-ma-gig that is for the DA mechanism, if you remove the panel it will fall out.  The firing pin is a bit different design though.  It shoot pretty good, reasonable accurate.  The like the Sig 220, the gun only has a hammer drop lever, no safety a la 1911.  Pitted against a Sig 220, I would get the Sig because the DA/SA trigger is lighter.  The D/E II is supposed to address some of the criticisms of the D/E I.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:39:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I see them all the time at the gun shows around here so few months ago I picked one up that was a shooter and it cleaned up real nicely. It is a reasonably priced 1911 and a decent gun. Got a bad rap when it first came out. I don't have a Sig in 45, but I bet Sigs are more reliable.

I think it is a nice little gun, definately a keeper.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine's an officers model stainless and I have never had a problem with it.  It is not a 1911 and I don't know of any parts that interchange except for the mag.  Maybe on the full length model they do - mine doesn't.  It's super accurate, reliable, and getting worn with thoudsands of rounds through it.  I got it from an attorney general in Oklahoma who told me it was the recommended carry firearm at that time and place.  It's typical Colt quality and reflects your dad's wisdom in selecting a fine firearm.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top