Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/21/2019 12:47:54 PM EDT
Recently the 3" Kimber K6S and 3" Colt King Cobra have caught my attention, but I've never seen either in person.  In trying to do research, there isn't much out there on either option that isn't for a gun magazine or blog.

I know the King Cobra isn't built like the old Colt snake guns and only shares the King Cobra frame, but that it's built on a different frame and lockwork more akin to a D-IV or something (@Miami_JBT was the source of that knowledge), but the disjunct from historical models doesn't bother me if it's built well enough.

My only experience with Kimber has been with their 1911s before they started to go downhill, but their rifles and early 1911s seem to indicate they can produce quality when they really want.

I also know that both of them are significantly lighter (24oz and 28oz) than a 2.75" S&W 66 or 3" GP100 (33oz and 36oz).

Anyone here seen either/both in person, own one, shot one, have opinions?  Information and opinions on both are sparse, unless it's people kvetching about how the King Cobra isn't a python.

ETA:  I have an L-frame Smith, a J frame Smith, and a Ruger Blackhawk convertible, so not interested in a full-size GP100/686, single action, or LCR/J-frame/SP101 suggestions, just looking for information or opinions on the models listed.  Plenty is out there on the 2.75" 66 and 3" GP100s.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kimber
Colt
View Quote
I actually had both of those tabs up before making this thread, and that seems to be the one website worth a damn to review new revolvers; just looking for a bit of a wider-cast net here.

Most website and magazine reviews for the Colt say its great but no python, and can't keep from comparing it to the old guns; I know it's not the same as the old ones, I'm not expecting it to be, I'm just hoping for additional input from real world use.

The 3" Kimber has even fewer reviews; most reviews are of the snub nose versions, or consist of "fuck Kimber" posts, which are decidedly unhelpful.

ETA: @03RN, your input on my other threads has been greatly appreciated also.  I feel like I know what to expect out of the 2.75" 66, and am keeping an eye out for one of those to put in hand.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#3]
If I could find the 4.25” king cobra I’d buy it today.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#4]
No prob.

I like both of them and cant say which i like more. Of the 4 i like the m66 the most. Then the 3" blued Wiley clapp gp100. The kimber and colt are tied. For me at least i just dont know how much shooting they, or I, could handle with magnum loads.

I enjoy shooting comparable loads to what i carry and will regularly shoot 100 rounds of full power .357 reloads and then 100 rounds of .38+p reloads. I also enjoy shooting uspsa with my carry gear.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I owned the 3" Kimber for a time and put about 800 rounds of 357 ammo through it before I gave up and sold it.   While it ran reliably for me, I had a friend who's identical gun failed with a broken firing pin.  Kimber fixed it but that shook my confidence a bit.  Also I could not find a set of grips that worked for me using full power ammo.  I wanted grips with the covered the backstrap, something similar to the Pachmyr compacts, but there was nothing on the market a year ago.   I did not fancy it as a .38 special launcher, but that was all I found it reasonably comfortable to shoot with because of the available grips on the market.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 5:41:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I owned the 3" Kimber for a time and put about 800 rounds of 357 ammo through it before I gave up and sold it.   While it ran reliably for me, I had a friend who's identical gun failed with a broken firing pin.  Kimber fixed it but that shook my confidence a bit.  Also I could not find a set of grips that worked for me using full power ammo.  I wanted grips with the covered the backstrap, something similar to the Pachmyr compacts, but there was nothing on the market a year ago.   I did not fancy it as a .38 special launcher, but that was all I found it reasonably comfortable to shoot with because of the available grips on the market.
View Quote
This was the sort of information and hands-on I was hoping for; thank you!
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No prob.

I like both of them and cant say which i like more. Of the 4 i like the m66 the most. Then the 3" blued Wiley clapp gp100. The kimber and colt are tied. For me at least i just dont know how much shooting they, or I, could handle with magnum loads.

I enjoy shooting comparable loads to what i carry and will regularly shoot 100 rounds of full power .357 reloads and then 100 rounds of .38+p reloads. I also enjoy shooting uspsa with my carry gear.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20191217_173642_jpg-1204039.JPG
View Quote
Your 66 is set up almost exactly how I would want it set up, but if I'm just going to turn it into a fixed sight gun and have to fill the lock hole, the King Cobra seems like it could do the same thing for cheaper and a little bit lighter.

That being said, the .25" difference in barrel length and your overall "revolver year" experiences are things I've been reading over and contemplating.  And man your 66 looks slick.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#8]
IMG_20191221_174818 by Jarrett Lauver, on Flickr

It's a handful with .357's. I replaced the original front sight with a tritium sight and switched to wood grips. At this point I really can't say if I would buy it again. I was torn between the Kimber and this also. The gun shop had both and this is what I chose.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49254952528_32c01cf864_c.jpgIMG_20191221_174818 by Jarrett Lauver, on Flickr

It's a handful with .357's. I replaced the original front sight with a tritium sight and switched to wood grips. At this point I really can't say if I would buy it again. I was torn between the Kimber and this also. The gun shop had both and this is what I chose.
View Quote
@Rascal82, that's almost exactly what I've thought about doing if I got the Colt (debating between the wooden Altamont grips and a set of VZs).

What .357 loads have you fired, and how different is the perceived recoil with the wooden vs. Hogues?

How well does it carry/would it carry (if you haven't already)?  What holster?

And what pushed you for the Colt over the Kimber when compared side by side?
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@Rascal82, that's almost exactly what I've thought about doing if I got the Colt (debating between the wooden Altamont grips and a set of VZs).

What .357 loads have you fired, and how different is the perceived recoil with the wooden vs. Hogues?

How well does it carry/would it carry (if you haven't already)?  What holster?

And what pushed you for the Colt over the Kimber when compared side by side?
View Quote
The Altamont grips are nice. I picked up a box of Remington 158gr JSP. They were manageable with the Hogue grip. The wooden grip is definitely harder to handle with Magnum loads. I have an Alien Gear holster for IWB. It's made for a Colt Cobra. I have a Galco Combat Master for a 3" Ruger SP101 that I use for OWB. It doesn't carry bad. I still like carrying my Glock 19.

In my opinion the Colt has a better trigger when shooting double action. The Kimber looked good and had a nice grip. Aftermarket accessories are limited for both.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The Altamont grips are nice. I picked up a box of Remington 158gr JSP. They were manageable with the Hogue grip. The wooden grip is definitely harder to handle with Magnum loads. I have an Alien Gear holster for IWB. It's made for a Colt Cobra. I have a Galco Combat Master for a 3" Ruger SP101 that I use for OWB. It doesn't carry bad. I still like carrying my Glock 19.

In my opinion the Colt has a better trigger when shooting double action. The Kimber looked good and had a nice grip. Aftermarket accessories are limited for both.
View Quote
So the Colt doesn't carry badly, and has a better DA trigger than the Kimber; why would you not be certain if you'd buy it again?
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Your 66 is set up almost exactly how I would want it set up, but if I'm just going to turn it into a fixed sight gun and have to fill the lock hole, the King Cobra seems like it could do the same thing for cheaper and a little bit lighter.

That being said, the .25" difference in barrel length and your overall "revolver year" experiences are things I've been reading over and contemplating.  And man your 66 looks slick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No prob.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20191217_173642_jpg-1204039.JPG

A problem that made me hesitate with the colt was the small rear sight.

I spent almost a year with a 4" m19 before i got the m66 this summer trying to figure out what i wanted. Better sights, a little shorter barrel, and stainless steel were my biggest hooks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So the Colt doesn't carry badly, and has a better DA trigger than the Kimber; why would you not be certain if you'd buy it again?
View Quote
I'm not sure it's worth the money. I think a S&W or Ruger would be just as  good. I really want to try the new 66. I have a 66-2 in 4" that is a pleasure to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 6:48:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 9:33:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:I'm not sure it's worth the money. I think a S&W or Ruger would be just as  good.
View Quote
This, for me at least.  I ended up with a fixed sight 3" GP100 and a bit more piece of mind (proven durability) and a lot better shootability  with 357 loads with the factory grips using some checkered wood inserts, plus being just as easy to conceal as the newer 3" 6 shot guns.  Did a Wolf spring kit and the action is decent.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 9:42:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
@Seven-Shooter, I played with the 3 inch King Cobra at SHOT Show's Industry Day at the Range. It was a great shooter and easily controllable. Yes, it is a spiritual evolution of the SF-VI and Carry Magnum lockwork. My new production Cobra is very similar to my SF-VI. I can day this, buy Colt with confidence. I haven't had a chance to get a Kikber out on the range it. I've toyed with them at the booths and een them stripped apart. The guns are very interesting in design but I see them built from the ground up to be CCW pieces. Yes, on paper they appear to be accurate. But I can say that from my own personal experience.

I can say that the new Colt D-Frames are a hell of a great thing in today's market. I consider them better than anything S&W is offering right now. To me, the modern production Wheel Gun Market is Ruger and Colt with S&W in the far distance.
View Quote
@Miami_JBT, excellent info, and thank you for constantly answering my questions on the Colt throughout ARFCOM .

Would the new King Cobra take D-frame grips, or SF-VI/Magnum Carry grips?  Which model(s) do you own?  Do you have a longer-term field report anywhere (tried searching, didn't find one from you)?

Given your reservations with current S&W designs, would a 2.75" M66 set up like @03RN assuage any of your concerns?  (Alternately 03RN, does Miami's input solve some of your longevity questions?).

Both the Colt and the S&W have their own stalwart adherents, which is great for knowledge base, but less great lately for objective comparison (which is part of why I made this thread).

And combined with @billbotts take on the Kimber (never able to find comfortable grips, difficult with hefty loads), would you care to/be able to expound any more on them?  Their lockwork and design does seem fascinating in execution, but if it doesn't hold up for longer term shooting due to shoddy grip support, that might finally rule it out of the running for me.

It probably also doesn't help that, if a new design offers at least comparable abilities for a relatively similar price, that I tend to support the underdog to prevent monopoly and thus complacency from manufacturers.  The flip side is that this has burned me a couple of times (R51, anyone?), so I'm hoping to lessen the chances of wasting my money while still maximizing my purchase value, especially if it breaks a monopolistic hold on the firearms market.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is 03RN's new Model 66 a gun that can take a beating? Yes. Is it something I will ever own? No. I'm a purist. Simple as that. To me the current batch of guns S&W makes are fraudulent clones not worthy of the price. That's my opinion.
View Quote
And i get that. Im more interested in it as a tool. I enjoy fondling my 1969 M19-3 much more but the 66 is the better weapon. Better sights, better trigger, and tougher but just holding it it doesn't feel as nice. Im OK with that.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 10:56:36 AM EDT
[#21]
The only Kimber product I've ever bought is a K6S snub nose. Mine came with factory night sites.

I own S&W wheel guns from J-Frames to N-Frames and love them all as well.

Kimber knocked it out of the park with the K6S line. The review linked above mirrors my opinion and experience. It's an impeccably well made gun and not just a rehash of existing guns along the way.

As the reviewer noted, the aftermarket product offerings are slim, which is literally the only down side. It's not a problem for me as I got a Kydex holster for it and a few speed loaders. Done and done.

Silky smooth mechanics, great trigger, de-horned frame, flawlessly machined.

To some, if the revolver isn't a Colt, S&W or a Ruger it's largely not a consideration.....and outside of this particular gun I'd probably agree. The K6S has easily earned its spot.

Link Posted: 12/22/2019 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#22]
My LGS got a hammerless new Cobra in yesterday. I was impressed with both the SA & DA pulls. While that model Cobra was what I'd get I'm very interested in the King Cobra Target. I don't know if it will have the same lockwork as the Cobra I checked out but if so it will be just right for me.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 2:34:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Good question and comparison.  I went with the King Cobra 3” for a few reasons, but let’s first discuss the flaw that both the Kimber and the Colt have in common:

THEY DIDN’T LENGTHEN THE EJECTOR ROD WHEN CHANGING FROM 2 TO 3 INCH BARRELS

That irks me.  One of the classic reasons to choose a 3” barrel revolver over a 2” is because there’s more room to fit a longer ejector rod.  That way you can positively kick out even .357 casings.  But neither Kimber nor Colt did that.  Irritating.

I like the hexagonal cylinder of the Kimber.  I own some Chiappa Rhino revolvers with that same cylinder configuration.  Makes concealment very easy.  Either the Kimber with no exposed hammer or the Rhino with its cocking lever can work from inside of a coat pocket (unless you’re looking at the DASA variant of the Kimber).  Although if you’re looking for a deep concealment pocket gun you do NOT want a magnum.  Personally, I use an LCR for pocket duty.

The Colt has the traditional hammer we wheelgun guys know and love.  It has a VERY NICE trigger for right out of the box.  It has a smaller frame than you would expect from a 6-shot magnum.  All of that makes for a very easy to carry and easy to use gun for folks used to revolvers.  I have used mine for an IDPA qualifier and made sharpshooter with it.

When the new Cobra came out I immediately bought one.  So when the King Cobra came out I wanted to continue the set.  They take the same (DS) speedloaders.  I now carry these two guns as my everyday setup (KC strongside, Cobra weakside, 2 speedloaders with .38 Specials).

In fairness, the concept of the Rhino has all of the advantages of either the Kimber or the Colt plus a few they don’t.  The Rhino comes with fiber optic sights, already cut for moonclips, has the lower bore axis, and the 4” version has a rail underneath for a light.  The trigger on the Rhino is just so...foreign.  It’s hard to describe.  That’s probably the only thing keeping it from living on my hip.

So...why did I buy Colt?  I wanted to reward them for bringing out a product that we civilian gun customers want.  Before that my colt revolvers were from ancient times (1903 and 1917).  I am optimistic that we will see a re-release Anaconda in .44 Magnum soon.  Heck, I would LOVE to see some “new name snake guns” like a “Boa” in a badass caliber such as .454/.480/.500.  Maybe a “Mamba” in a moonclip chambering like 10mm or .45ACP.  Even a “Viper” in .327 Fed Mag.  I’d buy them all.  But that won’t happen if their first re-introduction of wheelgun isn’t well received.  So I buy Colt in the hopes that more Colts get made.

Why not Kimber?  I own zero Kimber products.  I have no brand loyalty to them.  I wasn’t sure I wanted to start with their first every foray into revolvers.  Nobody gets everything right on the first try.

All that said, I did manage to break my King Cobra while dryfiring it with A-Zoom snap caps.  The transfer bar safety flag broke.  Easy to replace and Colt mailed me the part right quick when I called to gripe.  Stuff happens.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 7:40:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Why not Kimber?  I own zero Kimber products.  I have no brand loyalty to them.  I wasn't sure I wanted to start with their first every foray into revolvers.  Nobody gets everything right on the first try.

All that said, I did manage to break my King Cobra while dryfiring it with A-Zoom snap caps.  The transfer bar safety flag broke.  Easy to replace and Colt mailed me the part right quick when I called to gripe.  Stuff happens.
View Quote
Except they actually did.

I have no brand loyalty to Kimber. Quite the opposite actually. My K6S is my one and only.

Guns are a personal preference and people should get what they like, but Kimber absolutely nailed the K6S on their 1st try.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 4:01:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have no brand loyalty to Kimber. Quite the opposite actually. My K6S is my one and only.

Guns are a personal preference and people should get what they like, but Kimber absolutely nailed the K6S on their 1st try.
View Quote
I went to a local shop and fondled a few K6Ss a few weeks ago.  Really wanted a pocket gun.  But was just totally unimpressed by the triggers on the K6S.

Was bored and so I then looked at other revolvers.  Tried the Rock Island m206 and was shocked by how nice the trigger was.  And for almost 1/3 the price of the K6S, I said F it and FOed.

Put some bright red nail polish on the front sight and lookin forward to testing it
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Just sold off my Colt 3” yesterday.
The gun ran fine it just didn’t shoot to point of aim for me. If it had adjustable sights i’d kept it.
Another couple of things I didn’t like was the grips interferred with a speed loader and the ejection stroke is too short.
I see now that Colt has an adjustable sighted 6”
Maybe one day they’ll offer the 3” that way.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I went to a local shop and fondled a few K6Ss a few weeks ago.  Really wanted a pocket gun.  But was just totally unimpressed by the triggers on the K6S.

Was bored and so I then looked at other revolvers.  Tried the Rock Island m206 and was shocked by how nice the trigger was.  And for almost 1/3 the price of the K6S, I said F it and FOed.

Put some bright red nail polish on the front sight and lookin forward to testing it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My comparison of triggers is largely relegated to J-Frames.

The K6S is noticeably better IMO. As in immediately noticeably better. The craftsmanship of the guns themselves in many are too.

I'm just saying that these particular guns from Kimber easily hold their own against the S&W's and Colts. What someone ultimately happened to like best is obviously up to them.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 1:43:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I see now that Colt has an adjustable sighted 6”
View Quote
The King Cobra Target (adjustable sight) is a 4.25".
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Owner of a Colt King Cobra 3" here. I bought without really finger banging it but I did get a smoking deal due to it having a lost box. I think I got it for something like $625 OTD?

I use the rubber grips that came with it but would prefer the nice wooden ones in the above pic. Recoil isn't anything uncomfortable with .357 ammo. But then I do like shooting .357 guns.  

I have no experience with the Kimber, so I won't be able to comment on them. I've never been impressed nor intrigued by the Kimber line-up though. YMMV.

I would buy the Colt again if I could get it at the same price. It's in my carry rotation as well. Damn nice gun.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

And for almost 1/3 the price of the K6S, I said F it and FOed.  
View Quote
Anyone besides me notice how arfcom has its own sub-language?  
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 11:55:33 PM EDT
[#31]
With the Python having apparent light strikes and/or cylinder rotation issues, have there been any reports of the King Cobra having similar problems (that aren't due directly to someone short stroking the trigger)?  What about on the Kimber?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:09:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
With the Python having apparent light strikes and/or cylinder rotation issues, have there been any reports of the King Cobra having similar problems (that aren't due directly to someone short stroking the trigger)?  What about on the Kimber?  
View Quote
Not that I have seen.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
...I had a friend who's identical gun failed with a broken firing pin.  Kimber fixed it but that shook my confidence a bit...
View Quote
Was that broken firing pin from dryfiring on empty chambers?

I understand the grip availability issue is better, now.  That said, the new DASA versions do not apparently share the same grip design so you are back to square one trying to find grips for those.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
yes, I remember asking and he said he would never dry fire it again without a real snapcap in place
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
yes, I remember asking and he said he would never dry fire it again without a real snapcap in place
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am a huge believer in snap caps.  I use them so often with dryfire practice I actually fractured the rim on an A-zoom recently due to fatigue.  Mind you, the darn thing had easily soaked up 1000+ clicks.  Went and ordered 12 more (they come in blue now...).
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Bump once more to keep out of the archives.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#37]
I bought a used 2” K6S with CT grips... waiting on it to come in.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 11:50:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I bought a used 2" K6S with CT grips... waiting on it to come in.
View Quote
Interested in your impressions.

I have one too.....the model with the night sights. Very few people seem to own these, but I've been impressed with mine. Every bit as good of a shooter as any J Frame I own and with a noticeably better trigger.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I bought a used 2" K6S with CT grips... waiting on it to come in.
View Quote
Did the previous owner mention why they got rid of it?
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#40]
K6s 3" here.  It's been great to me.  Fits my hand well.
Excellent trigger right out of the box.   Wish it had a full length  ejector rod, but I haven't had any issues as is.  I'll buy another if they release the 4inch models with a shrouded hammer.

Edit: I wish safarland made compatible speed loaders.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 1:45:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
I saw that the Hogue Bantam wraparound grips for the K6S came back on the market (since they seemed to exist shortly and get pulled again); Hogue claims they work for both the DASA and DAO models.  

Would that make a 3" Kimber a more attractive option?

For the curious, still saving up, haven't yet purchased either option, but was leaning heavily towards the Colt until I saw the Hogues for the Kimber, and wonder if they might alleviate the common Grip (and resultant recoil) complaint about the thin grip being difficult to hang onto.

ETA: Have also heard numerous reports of firing pin issues with the Kimber, which isn't reassuring (though it's supposedly been rectified by a materials switch on the DASA models); and the transfer bar flag breaking on the cobra every once in a while, but these are the only 3" 6 shots available in this size/weight to kinetic energy level that isn't the SP101 .327
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Just for giggles, I ordered the new Hogue Bantam grip for the K6S, just to see if it would solve the purported slippery/thin grip complaints for the Kimber.  It feels about like the almost-boot grips I've seen on other revolvers, where there is about a 3/4 knuckle grip for the Pinky/just barely longer than a boot grip, and it's about the same width, too.  Real grippy, and has a somewhat generous cushion that would wrap around the back strap.  But it locks your grip in real tight with those finger grooves.

Now if only I had a revolver to test it with
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Just for giggles, I ordered the new Hogue Bantam grip for the K6S, just to see if it would solve the purported slippery/thin grip complaints for the Kimber.  It feels about like the almost-boot grips I've seen on other revolvers, where there is about a 3/4 knuckle grip for the Pinky/just barely longer than a boot grip, and it's about the same width, too.  Real grippy, and has a somewhat generous cushion that would wrap around the back strap.  But it locks your grip in real tight with those finger grooves.

Now if only I had a revolver to test it with
View Quote

I just ordered one from these guys this morning. Can't wait to try out the kimber.

$750 Free Shipping, No tax

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I saw that the Hogue Bantam wraparound grips for the K6S came back on the market (since they seemed to exist shortly and get pulled again); Hogue claims they work for both the DASA and DAO models.  

Would that make a 3" Kimber a more attractive option?

For the curious, still saving up, haven't yet purchased either option, but was leaning heavily towards the Colt until I saw the Hogues for the Kimber, and wonder if they might alleviate the common Grip (and resultant recoil) complaint about the thin grip being difficult to hang onto.

ETA: Have also heard numerous reports of firing pin issues with the Kimber, which isn't reassuring (though it's supposedly been rectified by a materials switch on the DASA models); and the transfer bar flag breaking on the cobra every once in a while, but these are the only 3" 6 shots available in this size/weight to kinetic energy level that isn't the SP101 .327
View Quote

To the people that worry about the firing pin issues, it looks like S&W firing pins are the exact same:

https://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/kimber-revolver-forum/67072-tk-custom-firing-pin-pix-info.html
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Recently the 3" Kimber K6S and 3" Colt King Cobra have caught my attention, but I've never seen either in person.  In trying to do research, there isn't much out there on either option that isn't for a gun magazine or blog.

I know the King Cobra isn't built like the old Colt snake guns and only shares the King Cobra frame, but that it's built on a different frame and lockwork more akin to a D-IV or something (@Miami_JBT was the source of that knowledge), but the disjunct from historical models doesn't bother me if it's built well enough.

My only experience with Kimber has been with their 1911s before they started to go downhill, but their rifles and early 1911s seem to indicate they can produce quality when they really want.

I also know that both of them are significantly lighter (24oz and 28oz) than a 2.75" S&W 66 or 3" GP100 (33oz and 36oz).

Anyone here seen either/both in person, own one, shot one, have opinions?  Information and opinions on both are sparse, unless it's people kvetching about how the King Cobra isn't a python.

ETA:  I have an L-frame Smith, a J frame Smith, and a Ruger Blackhawk convertible, so not interested in a full-size GP100/686, single action, or LCR/J-frame/SP101 suggestions, just looking for information or opinions on the models listed.  Plenty is out there on the 2.75" 66 and 3" GP100s.
View Quote

One of my officers is a retired deputy sheriff, firearms instructor and true shooting master.  Dyed in the wool wheelgun guy and genuinely pissed we have to carry Glocks.  He considers the 3" revolver to be the penultimate achievement of carry revolver perfection.  

He could not get his hands on the Kimber 3" fast enough.  He had it less than two months and sold it.  Said it was just not accurate and was only a sign of how Kimber had fallen from its glory days of being one of the best 1911s in the game.  He was crestfallen to give up on it and have to sell it.  Take that for what its worth.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:02:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Did the previous owner mention why they got rid of it?
View Quote

Well I’m late getting back to this thread. I bought it off Buds so I didn’t know the history of it or why it was sold. It looked brand new when it arrived.

What I didn’t like... I didn’t like the sights. I ordered a set of the tritium night sights and had them installed. Why did I install night sights on a gun that had Crimson Trace grips? Because I found myself concentrating too hard to activate the CT grips. I’m not sure I am going to keep the CT grip on the gun.

What I ABSOLUTELY LOVE about this gun? I can drill holes at 10 yards with the 2” barrel. I shoot better with this little snub nose than any full size gun I have. The trigger is fantastic for a stock trigger. The DAO is smooth as butter.

Shooting .357 mag out of it?   You damn well know you have a gun in your hand

357 is not unbearable but it isn’t comfortable either. However, this isn’t a deal breaker for me because my intention was not to buy this and launch 100 rounds of 357 through it on each range trip.

My opinion of the Kimber K6S?
I’m currently deciding between a 3” or 4” to buy in the next week. Seriously, that’s how much I like the craftsmanship of the Kimber revolver. I like this revolver better than my Model 19 I once owned and better than my Colt Lawman I currently own.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#47]
I have both... and shoot both...

Colt edges out the K6S just a hair in trigger feel and accuracy. The Colt KC 3" is a real sweetheart when it comes to DA trigger pull and accuracy... easily one of the most accurate guns in my small revolver arsenal.

K6S is awesome as well.. I would carry it before a Sp101 or S&W 640, as its trigger, sights and ergonomics are excellent. Its just that in my hands, the Colt just is slightly better.

DA.. its easy to keep all 6 shots in both in a 3" shoot and see circle target at 7 yards.. 10 yards with a little concentration on trigger...
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:00:25 AM EDT
[#48]
This thread is pertinent to my interests!
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#49]
alright thats it....i’m buying a colt kc 3”.....lol

just getting back into revolvers this year and been looking for a small 357 and the LGS had one today.

it felt good in the hand and pointed well. the DA trigger was butter too.

i liked the gutter sights since i plan for it to be a car carry weapon and close in weapon. the cheesy taurus clone has these and i shoot it well but its a loosy goosy.  

i’ll be back after this weekend with a range report.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
alright thats it....i'm buying a colt kc 3".....lol

just getting back into revolvers this year and been looking for a small 357 and the LGS had one today.

it felt good in the hand and pointed well. the DA trigger was butter too.

i liked the gutter sights since i plan for it to be a car carry weapon and close in weapon. the cheesy taurus clone has these and i shoot it well but its a loosy goosy.  

i'll be back after this weekend with a range report.
View Quote
I saw a 2" KC at the LGS the other day when picking up a transfer.  The place was slammed and they didn't let me dry fire it because of how persnickety people are in this AO about turn lines.  But the general ergonomics felt superb out of the box, but factory Hogues tend to do that.  The Matte SS finish was applied well also.  A 3" might eventually make it into my stable.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top