Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 9:20:05 PM EDT
I recently bought a new TLE/RL II and shot it quite a bit today.  I had a great deal of extraction failures though.  

The gun would leave an empty casing in the chamber and try to load a new round.  I corrected the problem by yanking the mag out (the slide would slam shut), slamming the mag home, racking the slide to get rid of the shell casing, and then firing like normal.  The kicker was that it wouldn't do it at all for awhile and then all of a sudden I would get up to five malfunctions per mag.  Right before I went home, I put a full mag though it with no problems.

It infuriated me so much that I threw it down twice in disgust (no damage though, the ground was very soft).  I paid over $900 for this pistol only to have this bullshit happen.  Will continued breaking in fix this problem?  I've put about 400-450 rounds through it now.  If this keeps up, I think I might get rid of it and save up for a Warrior or a nice Series I pistol.  Thanks for any advice.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#1]
run her up to 750. if it still sucks, give the kimber custom shop a call, and they'll give you the address to send it to so they can fix it under warrenty. you have to write a fairly detailed letter saying whats wrong and all that fun stuff.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:00:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#3]
While it sounds like you clearly need a new tool steel extraxtor you may also look at the question posted in this forum titled ; Kimber "Tactical Extraxtor"
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#4]
How can I tell if I have an MIM extractor or a tool steel extractor?  Is Kimber only using tool steel extractors now?  Thanks for the advice though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Another victim of the great MIM  external extractor design. This is an all to common problem with Kimber external extractors.

MiM on the left (note circle from part being pushed out of mold), tool steel on right.
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=38088

Tell Kimber you want a tool steal extractor and will settle for nothing less.

Does anyone Like Ed brown or Wilson make a replacement extractor?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Update-I took it and a friend to a range today and fired about 100 rounds.  There were no malfunctions at first, but probably about 50 rounds or so into it we started to get the same type of extraction malfunction.  I took it to the counter and they suggested sending it to Kimber.  So, I guess I'll be sending it off in the next few weeks.  I don't really want to pay for a part that shouldn't have malfunctioned in the first place, but how can I ensure that this trip will be the first and last trip the pistol has to make to Kimber?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a Kimber Eclipse Ultra II (external extractor) and it had a failure to extract problem. I called Kimber and they sent me a new extractor. That solved the FTE problem but then it wouldn't chamber every round. I ended up sending the gun back to Kimber and they replaced the barrel. No more FTEs or chambering problems. Now if the slide release would stop coming on half way through a magazine I'd be happy. All in all I think Kimber makes a heck of a paperweight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top