Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2003 8:10:06 PM EDT
Alright I decided since I have so many questions I would stop hijacking other threads.

- Does a .45 caliber bullet break the sound barrier out of a 4" or so barrel? In other words 'How effective would a suppressor be for a .45ACP with a 4" barrel?'

- How much would it cost to suppress a .45 like a G21, HK USP45, etc.?

- Any other rounds that are vewy vewy quiet with a suppressor other than a .22?

- Silenced AR's, I know its not the AR Forums but still, how effective is a suppressor on an AR? I know 5.56 is supersonic.

Link Posted: 8/17/2003 9:10:25 PM EDT
[#1]
1. Almost all 45ACP ammo is subsonic when fired from pistol.  The speed of sound at sea level is about 1,175 - 1,200 fps depending on temp., pressure, etc. and only few light-weight speciality ammo (like Mag-safe) will go above that.  How effective a particular pistol will be will depend on the effectiveness of the suppressor and to lesser degree the ammo.

2. A good suppress for 45ACP will cost around $500-$600 plus ATF's tax of $200.

3. Any subsonic ammo.  Some ammo were specially designed to be used with suppressed weapons like the Whisper line and these can be extremely quiet when used in closed action (single shot or bolt action) firearm.  These ammo were designed to be quiet by using small powder charge to propell the bullet.

4. Standard 5.56 X 45 ammo is still pretty loud when suppressed but atleast you will be able to fire it without ear protection. SF guys you see with suppressor on their M4 use it so it won't blow out their ear drum when shot in enclosed area (inside a room or in a cave).

Link Posted: 8/17/2003 11:06:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Just for the record I don't mind the "hi jack"  I think it creates good conversations.  Come on back.

I want to do a 22lr, then my G21 OR after the AWB dies next year, a light weight 14.5" SBR AR with a silencer.  For me, I think the best way to get familiar with a silencer is with a handgun first.

The reason In need the 22 first, I have a REAL vermin problem going and I have neighbors.  Just when I got rid of all the large fur bearing animals, last year a new set of green peacers move in and let them live and breed in their backyard under their shed.  I just paid the vet $500 in emergency surgery costs after a Coon grabbed ahold of my dog instead of my wife.  A can costs 300, tax 200. Gee, if I had done this a year ago......I call this premptive Vet bill insurance.  Not to mention all the homes that have roof damage now.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Just for the record I don't mind the "hi jack"  I think it creates good conversations.  Come on back.

I want to do a 22lr, then my G21 OR after the AWB dies next year, a light weight 14.5" SBR AR with a silencer.  For me, I think the best way to get familiar with a silencer is with a handgun first.

The reason In need the 22 first, I have a REAL vermin problem going and I have neighbors.  Just when I got rid of all the large fur bearing animals, last year a new set of green peacers move in and let them live and breed in their backyard under their shed.  I just paid the vet $500 in emergency surgery costs after a Coon grabbed ahold of my dog instead of my wife.  A can costs 300, tax 200. Gee, if I had done this a year ago......I call this premptive Vet bill insurance.  Not to mention all the homes that have roof damage now.

Red - EXACTLY my hopes for a future setup. Last night when I created this thread I had all three of those guns in mind, G21, .22lr, and 14.5" AR. Someone on the board has a G21 with a can. I cant remember who but I've seen it in the past....Nice Gun!

Blue - Again, exactly my reasoning for having a suppressed .22, incase there is some animal messing around in my yard one day. A .22 with no suppressor isnt really loud but it will definately draw some attention in a neighborhood.

So, Zoub, consider it a race to see who can have a suppressed .22lr, another handgun and an AR??
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Well gee, Zoub, I have a suppressed 77/22 that would take care of that varmint problem nicely....you buy the brew...
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 2:46:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

.22 lever action Marlin 39A.  CCI, CB shorts.  Subsonic, pellet gun quiet, and deadly.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Alright, I came up with another question... The $200 tax, does it go with every gun you have the barrel threaded/suppressed? or just you pay the tax once and your done? I'm thinking $200 per gun but just checking.

Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#7]
nope, the $200 is on the suppressor, not the gun.  That's why people buy .22 muzzle cans, so they can buy one and use it on a bunch of weapons.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well gee, Zoub, I have a suppressed 77/22 that would take care of that varmint problem nicely....you buy the brew...

Kid across the street:  "Hey Mom, look!  It's that crazy guy across the street who threatend to kill all our boyfriends last week.  He is on the roof and there is another guy with him.  They are drinkin' beer AND I THINK THE OTHER GUY HAS A GUN!  

Ah yes, city life, catch the fever.

Lets hit Pops first.  What could be fun, my friend just bought a house near that 500 yard range I mentioned.  We can get on his roof and there may be Coyotes!

As soon as the AWB dies next year it is commando upper with a can man!
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

.22 lever action Marlin 39A.  CCI, CB shorts.  Subsonic, pellet gun quiet, and deadly.

TRG

I have one, and I will try that too.  I just have to get the shorts.  If mine was not an original 39A I would thread it!  Thanks for the suggestion.

Tivoli410, I fart in your general direction.  You realize this will be an expensive contest for both of us.  I already have a G21 and an AR.  Even a MarkII, I just want a new one for the can.  Lets see who has the most crap by 12/31/04!
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Here’s mine.

First you need a G21 $ 550.00, add applicable sales tax.

Jarvis 6” threaded barrel with thread protector $ 225.00 $ 10.00 for shipping.

Gemtech SOS-45 $ 595.00 and there was some other doodad they had to build in to make it work with a G21 that cost about $ 100.00 plus $ 20.00 for shipping.

You will need $ 200.00 for a tax stamp.

My local Class III charges $ 85.00 to transfer the NFA item.

You will need to get a couple of Passport photos $ 10.00.

Your CLEO may charge a fee for finger printing $ 10.00.

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 4:37:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Here’s mine.

image.inkfrog.com/pix/THISISME/DSCF0028.JPG

First you need a G21 $ 550.00, add applicable sales tax.

Jarvis 6” threaded barrel with thread protector $ 225.00 $ 10.00 for shipping.

Gemtech SOS-45 $ 595.00 and there was some other doodad they had to build in to make it work with a G21 that cost about $ 100.00 plus $ 20.00 for shipping.

You will need $ 200.00 for a tax stamp.

My local Class III charges $ 85.00 to transfer the NFA item.

You will need to get a couple of Passport photos $ 10.00.

Your CLEO may charge a fee for finger printing $ 10.00.

1800.00 *Bling Bling*

TRG
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:16:31 AM EDT
[#12]
And here's mine:

USP .45 Tactical - 850.00
Knight's Armament Model USP45  1100.00
Stamp $200.00
Transfer $50.00
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Tivoli410, I fart in your general direction.  You realize this will be an expensive contest for both of us.  I already have a G21 and an AR.  Even a MarkII, I just want a new one for the can.  Lets see who has the most crap by 12/31/04!

I didnt say this would happen overnight. I think you got me beat, I have no G21 or AR(pre-ban that is) I have a G30 but I dont know about adding a supressor to that. Too small of a gun.

THISISME - That's the gun I was referring to in an earlier post. I LIKE!!! I bow down to you...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top