Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2005 9:27:33 PM EDT
the 33 rd G26/19/17/18 mags, 20 and 30 round Bretta and Sig mags, 10-15-20 round 1911 mags...

I have a couple of XD-9 pistols and I'm kicking around the idea of ordering a couple 30 round ProMags, mostly for shits and giggles, but also maybe as a way to have a poor mans SMG in the truck glovebox. Hear me out...

I normally carry at least one spare mag, and if I'm on a trip or heading to a place where I think there is more risk I'll take two spare mags. Occasionally I leave a couple loaded mags in the glove box of my truck and I also keep a 50 round box of 9mm NATO FMJ  there too.  

I dont imagine myself getting into a prolonged firefight with anyone, and if I did, I probably wouldnt be near my truck. Still, I have been thinking it would be nice to have access to more ammo "ready to go" in my truck, if the need arises. The boxed FMJ isnt really in there for fighting, but more of a SHTF or got stuck in the desert sorta backup plan. I'm thinking that if the SHTF and I need to use my sidearm for supressive fire or I happend to meet up with a truckload of hadji out on the salt flats, those 60 rounds of 9mm might be handy. I had read or heard somewhere that Ayoob use to carry a "big stick" in his jacket pocket for the ocaassional high risk job...

I know that some super-hi-caps are not a replacement for a rifle, and when I can, I have one handy. Also, these would not be primary mags, so the possible reliability issues dont bother me much; I'd shoot with them, and find any quirks out beforehand anyway.

Or, my only excuse is that 30 round pistol mags are for fun, shits, giggles, and the ocassional long stage at a plate shoot

Thoughts guys?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:12:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably not a bad idea, all things considered. I know guys who are cops in some pretty scary places and who often are allowed only handguns (all use 9mms) who have gotten into fights where they have emptied SEVERAL 20 rd. Beretta, 25rd. CZ and / or 33rd. Glock mags! (Multiple bad guys armed with AKs and such...thank God they are usually terrible shots!)

Did they actually "need" those mags? I don't really know, but I DO know they survived those fights. I would, however much prefer a factory mag over the junky Pro Mags...but then they do not make such a mag for the XD that I know of...right?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:31:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:08:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I modified 3 30 round beretta pro mags to use in my P99. Of the three, only one of the mags feed lips could hold all 30 rounds without having the feed lips bend/bulge. The spring in this mag wore out after about 15 full loads.

ymmv
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a few for my GLOCKs.  Fun, but not really practical for a pistol.  Makes re-holstering difficult (you now have a tail) makes it difficlt to fire over some cover (think about a car hood or a window) and throws off the balance of the gun a little (least of the three problems).  A fobus paddle mag pouch with a couple of 15 rounders is a MUCH better glove compartment emergency reload, IMHO.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a few of the hicap 20rnd Sig Sauer factory mfg magazines.........yes they were expensive as hell before the AW ban sunsetted...Not for everyday carry........but I like the idea of having one set up as such in the bedroom........or in a vehicle as backup or what not. Not practical for many applications but better to have and not need - then to need and not have. Just my 2 cents.........Do yourself a favor and buy the MecGar 17 or 20rnd mags...........good quality but affordable.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#6]
You can get a glock 72 round drum from stoney creek armory.  Don't see the need for one but it's out their to buy
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:36:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top