Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2013 4:12:14 PM EDT
I was all settled on the SP-01 Shadow, then lancegardner22's thread turned my world upside down.  I'm sure it's been discussed a million times but I need to be convinced one way or the other.  I definitely want the SA/DA with a manual safety so the choices are the SP-01 Shadow and essentially the compact version of that gun (P-02 or "Compact L").  Here are the factors involved:

1) I don't carry, but plan on applying for my permit this summer.  Likely won't carry daily or even regularly, but I do not currently have anything I would consider a good carry piece.
2) I enjoy shooting in an action pistol league nearby.  I want something that's not going to hold me back in that league.  I'm not interested in a race gun or anything else that is completely impractical to ever be carried, I want something USPSA considers production.
3) $1k limit
4) Wait time is not a problem.  

I will likely eventually own both, carrying the compact and shooting with the SP-01, but I want help deciding what to invest in first.  It will likely be years before I buy my second (gun budget is getting roughed up by 5 kids).  Is the SP-01 completely ridiculous to carry?  If it helps I will likely be carrying quasi-concealed, OC is GTG in DE.  

So what is your opinion and why?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#2]
P02 for carry, SP01 for competition.  Decide which activity will be the priority and you'll know which to buy.,I have a P01. It's the largest of my 'normal' carry guns. I wouldn't carry an SP01 (but I want one!)
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:52:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
P02 for carry, SP01 for competition.  Decide which activity will be the priority and you'll know which to buy.,I have a P01. It's the largest of my 'normal' carry guns. I wouldn't carry an SP01 (but I want one!)
View Quote

If it's the largest how often do you carry it?  I'd hate to buy the P-02 for carry, only to have it relegated to the safe because I end up going with something less chunky.  Is it a winter only carry gun?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#4]
To me it sounds like you have answered your own question.  You want a piece to do USPSA and be competitive.  That would be the SP-01.  Yes, you could carry an SP-01.  It really is no different than me carrying a full size 5" 1911.  Is it ideal?  No way.  I carried a CZ-75B for quite a while as well.  If you have not figured it out yet, CCW is a wardrobe.  You dress for carry, not the other way around.

Worry about a CCW piece for later.  It just is not your focus right now.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:10:03 AM EDT
[#5]
You can't go wrong with either one but if you're planning on one gun for mostly range and some carry, I'd vote for the SP-01.

I carry my modded SP-01 all the time.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was all settled on the SP-01 Shadow, then lancegardner22's thread turned my world upside down.  I'm sure it's been discussed a million times but I need to be convinced one way or the other.  I definitely want the SA/DA with a manual safety so the choices are the SP-01 Shadow and essentially the compact version of that gun (P-02 or "Compact L").  Here are the factors involved:

1) I don't carry, but plan on applying for my permit this summer.  Likely won't carry daily or even regularly, but I do not currently have anything I would consider a good carry piece.
2) I enjoy shooting in an action pistol league nearby.  I want something that's not going to hold me back in that league.  I'm not interested in a race gun or anything else that is completely impractical to ever be carried, I want something USPSA considers production.
3) $1k limit
4) Wait time is not a problem.  

I will likely eventually own both, carrying the compact and shooting with the SP-01, but I want help deciding what to invest in first.  It will likely be years before I buy my second (gun budget is getting roughed up by 5 kids).  Is the SP-01 completely ridiculous to carry?  If it helps I will likely be carrying quasi-concealed, OC is GTG in DE.  

So what is your opinion and why?
View Quote

From the limits you set I would vote a Production SP-01 Shadow. With maybe some cleanup work by Matt Mink or CZ Custom .  PS I shoot my standard Production  Doutone Shadow slightly better than my fully tricked out CZ Custom Black .  

I haven't run the Compact L enough to give you a option with only one choice.  I will tell you I like very much.  

Pic attached with my  Standard SP-01 that started me down this wallet draining CZ problem.

Later maybe purchase a Compact 75  for carry.  Wont' be much lighter , but the controls will all be the same.

LV

[/URL][/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top