Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/9/2013 3:12:14 PM EST
I was all settled on the SP-01 Shadow, then lancegardner22's thread turned my world upside down. I'm sure it's been discussed a million times but I need to be convinced one way or the other. I definitely want the SA/DA with a manual safety so the choices are the SP-01 Shadow and essentially the compact version of that gun (P-02 or "Compact L"). Here are the factors involved:

1) I don't carry, but plan on applying for my permit this summer. Likely won't carry daily or even regularly, but I do not currently have anything I would consider a good carry piece.
2) I enjoy shooting in an action pistol league nearby. I want something that's not going to hold me back in that league. I'm not interested in a race gun or anything else that is completely impractical to ever be carried, I want something USPSA considers production.
3) $1k limit
4) Wait time is not a problem.

I will likely eventually own both, carrying the compact and shooting with the SP-01, but I want help deciding what to invest in first. It will likely be years before I buy my second (gun budget is getting roughed up by 5 kids). Is the SP-01 completely ridiculous to carry? If it helps I will likely be carrying quasi-concealed, OC is GTG in DE.

So what is your opinion and why?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:15:05 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:27:26 PM EST
P02 for carry, SP01 for competition. Decide which activity will be the priority and you'll know which to buy.,I have a P01. It's the largest of my 'normal' carry guns. I wouldn't carry an SP01 (but I want one!)
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:52:12 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By airsix:
P02 for carry, SP01 for competition. Decide which activity will be the priority and you'll know which to buy.,I have a P01. It's the largest of my 'normal' carry guns. I wouldn't carry an SP01 (but I want one!)
View Quote

If it's the largest how often do you carry it? I'd hate to buy the P-02 for carry, only to have it relegated to the safe because I end up going with something less chunky. Is it a winter only carry gun?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:59:37 PM EST
To me it sounds like you have answered your own question. You want a piece to do USPSA and be competitive. That would be the SP-01. Yes, you could carry an SP-01. It really is no different than me carrying a full size 5" 1911. Is it ideal? No way. I carried a CZ-75B for quite a while as well. If you have not figured it out yet, CCW is a wardrobe. You dress for carry, not the other way around.

Worry about a CCW piece for later. It just is not your focus right now.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:10:03 AM EST
You can't go wrong with either one but if you're planning on one gun for mostly range and some carry, I'd vote for the SP-01.

I carry my modded SP-01 all the time.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:54:56 AM EST
Originally Posted By Chizult:
I was all settled on the SP-01 Shadow, then lancegardner22's thread turned my world upside down. I'm sure it's been discussed a million times but I need to be convinced one way or the other. I definitely want the SA/DA with a manual safety so the choices are the SP-01 Shadow and essentially the compact version of that gun (P-02 or "Compact L"). Here are the factors involved:

1) I don't carry, but plan on applying for my permit this summer. Likely won't carry daily or even regularly, but I do not currently have anything I would consider a good carry piece.
2) I enjoy shooting in an action pistol league nearby. I want something that's not going to hold me back in that league. I'm not interested in a race gun or anything else that is completely impractical to ever be carried, I want something USPSA considers production.
3) $1k limit
4) Wait time is not a problem.

I will likely eventually own both, carrying the compact and shooting with the SP-01, but I want help deciding what to invest in first. It will likely be years before I buy my second (gun budget is getting roughed up by 5 kids). Is the SP-01 completely ridiculous to carry? If it helps I will likely be carrying quasi-concealed, OC is GTG in DE.

So what is your opinion and why?
View Quote

From the limits you set I would vote a Production SP-01 Shadow. With maybe some cleanup work by Matt Mink or CZ Custom . PS I shoot my standard Production Doutone Shadow slightly better than my fully tricked out CZ Custom Black .

I haven't run the Compact L enough to give you a option with only one choice. I will tell you I like very much.

Pic attached with my Standard SP-01 that started me down this wallet draining CZ problem.

Later maybe purchase a Compact 75 for carry. Wont' be much lighter , but the controls will all be the same.

LV

[/URL][/img]
Top Top