Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 7:23:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:47:29 AM EDT
[#1]
If it says stainless it is the same as stainless steel. I like the blackened stainless my self. The steel framed version would be the way to go if she does not like recoil. I have the light weight service model and it does kick a bit more than my GI.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Aimless -- It would be hard to go wrong with the Loaded Parkerized model.  It comes with Novak night sights already.  The only thing it requires is removal of the 2 piece guide rod (I like to replace with a GI length rod and plug), and replacement of the ILS mainspring and cap with a standard mainspring, cap and pin.  The Parkerized finish is fine, and the gun should run forever.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 1911A1 Stainless "Loaded" model.  It's a great shooter right out of the box.  I have not yet found a need to change any of the items on it like I have other guns.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#4]
NM, misread.

Have fun with the 1911.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The only thing it requires is removal of the 2 piece guide rod (I like to replace with a GI length rod and plug), and replacement of the ILS mainspring and cap with a standard mainspring, cap and pin.

I don't know if REQUIRED is the right word here, sashmore. They run fine with both of those items; I have a Loaded FullSize Park'd and an Ultra Compact. Some PREFER to replace those items, but it certainly isn't necessary by any means.

C
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#8]
 i bet some day you'll have kids and they'll want 1911's too

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I recently acquired my first springfield.  A "loaded" in 9mm as an ESP gun for IDPA, and I have to say I really like it.  It's not that I have anything against the Colt or the Kimber, they've been good to me.  It's just that for the price, the springfield is a fantastic gun.  It's getting the same trigger job, as the other guns as well as the arched MSH.  Other than that, it's damn nice out of the box.  The barrel/bushing/locking lug fit is as good as the gold match, better than the colt.  The slide frame fit is as good as the kimber, and better than the colt.  The stock trigger is the worst.  Exterior finish is flawless (it's also my first stainless gun), but the interior or the slide shows a few toolmarks that the other guns don't.  The Bomar knock off sights are fine for a range gun.  The novaks are better for social purposes.  

If your lady is recoil sensitive, have a look at the Springfield 9mm.  I broke it in with a case of winchester Nato production overrun ammo and it was a cupcake to shoot.  It's the softest shooting centerfire  handgun I've ever had the pleasure of shooting.  

Of course, if she likes the .45.  Get a .45.

Springfield's "loaded coupon" is nice too.  It saved me about $120 bucks buying a bunch of magazines.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#13]
GI Champion - all steel

Plain Jane business pistol  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yes I am being punished for the many sins of my past. After years of my crabbing about 1911s my girlfriend wants one. She shot sp10's Springfield and liked it. I think he said it was a full size "loaded" I think we want her to get a steel framed model, she seems to have an easier time shooting a full size, heavier pistol because of the recoil and lighter springs. SP10's was od green, but I did not find a model like that listed (unless he has a different model than I am thinking of). Obviously she doesn't want target sights, but I suspect the stocks sights are going to get shitcanned and we'll put nightsights on there.

www.springfield-armory.com/prod-pstl-1911-fs.shtml

Any brilliant insights on which finish to recommend she get or anything else I'm not thinking of? I would assume stainless steel is the way to go, but I don't know whether the black stainless is worthwhile. Also one pistol on this site is described as "stainless" while another is described as "stainless steel" The weight appears to the the same, so I assume they are both steel framed.

Forgive me Gaston...

Here's my Springer.  She is the best handgun I shot yet, hands down.  I will never sell her!

(Anyway to make this smaller???)

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:11:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:18:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Here's my Springer.  She is the best handgun I shot yet, hands down.  I will never sell her!

tinypic.com/dfgbcn.jpg

Glad to hear. That same model is about to be my first handgun.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:04:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No but she has a weight lifting, biathalon running, rifle shooting sister, sort of a Xena The Warrior Accountant. I got the runt of the litter. I'd trade her for a Kimber desert warrior if you're interested,edit trade the sister that is.

Let's see pics of the sister, I may take you up on that offer...
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:47:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/dfgbcn.jpg

Glad to hear. That same model is about to be my first handgun.

Believe me you will not be disappointed! I could not believe how well this gun shoots.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:38:07 AM EDT
[#20]
I'll go get you a Kimber if you want to trade even up for Xena.  She's going to have to move to WI though....but I have a house and a nice gun safe......
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:41:32 AM EDT
[#21]
The Black Stainless used to come standard with the ultra-thin grips; that may or may not be an advantage for your gf.

Here's mine, with black rosewood standard grips:

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#23]
are you looking for something quasi custom or plain jane?

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:06:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top