Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2004 9:16:29 AM EDT
I have an old Star BM model (9mm) automatic that looks like a smaller 1911. It hasn't been shot much but handled a lot and the bluing on the frame is only about 75%. I tried to make it look better with some cold blueing and it's so-so. Since this is not an expensive pistol I thought about using some of that spray-can Gun-Kote from Brownell's. My only problem is that the manufacturer recommends that the metal be sand-blasted and I'm not sure I can do that correctly -- is there any alternative to the sand-blasting?

Edit to add;
Well, I went ahead and sanded the frame by hand with 120 grit alum-oxide sandpaper to remove all the original finish. It took over 3 hours to do the job because of all the curves. I heated the frame as in the instructions and applied the Gun Kote. I let it dry for 30 minutes and then hung the frame in a pre-heated oven set at 300 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes. The cure time starts when the part reaches 300 degrees so I figured an extra 10 minutes would do it.  It came out super nice!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top