Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2003 7:27:08 AM EDT
Call me a traditionalist, but lately I've had the urge to get a .38 snubbie. I have a Taurus 605 snubbie .357, but I'm thinking of a Colt Detective Special or Agent, or a S&W 36.

Anybody got opinions on these? I'm not in a real hurry, the budget being what it is, just looking to see what other folks have experienced...
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 8:38:50 PM EDT
[#1]
My vote is for the Detective special, like the ones in the old movies! I haven't heard much on the Agent, but I had a chance at a Det. special for $250 pretty much new, but that was in my Automatic supremacist days.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 6:11:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I prefer the D framed Colts over the J framed Smiths. The slightly larger grip on the Colts gives me better control and 6 instead of 5 rounds.

One thing that will make life better is to invest in a good pocket holster. I like the ones from Lou Alessi and from High Noon Holsters.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I carry a Colt Detective Special.  Great, high quality gun.  I've also carried the alloy versions (both Cobra and Agent) and they are the same gun (some small differences in grip), just lighter.  I switched back and forth between the Cobra and the Det Spec off and on until some really hot gun I just had to have (and no longer own) came my way and I sold it.  Looking back on it, I should have kept the Cobra and bought a hammer shroud for it.  That would be a pretty nice set-up.  

Ross
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my snubbies!

Fortunately I have big pockets!

Link Posted: 9/7/2003 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Colt agent... A good pair of Pachmayrs makes a good gun even better. If you were going to carry it a good holster would be a good idea because of the exposed ejector.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#6]
S&W Chief's Specials are superb handguns.  I have both a nickel plated and a SS (model 60).  The actions on them are so smooth I cannot imagine owning any other brand of DA revolver.  The 5 round cylinders are easier to conceal in a rear pocket holster IMO.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I recently picked up a S&W model 66-2, 2.5" barrel.  The more I shoot it the more I love it.  It is far more accurate than I expected it to be.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I love my S&W 642 Airweight.  Light enough to not notice, but not so light that it is uncontrolable with +P .38s.  I like the enlosed hammer...no pocket lint in that area.

The Hogue 1 piece slip on grips are GREAT.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Excellent! Got some good info, here. If the budget weren't a concern, it'd be easier, but... My Dad just recently got a S&W 36,  so I'll be sure to test that one, but the Colts really do appeal to me, too. Ah, decisions, decisions...
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 8:40:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I carry a 638 daily...It's just a little bigger than the regular pocket guns(.22/.32)but I like it...
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm going to get a S&W model 638. aluminum framed stainless "Humpback" Bodyguard J Frame
.38 Special and load it with Glaser Safety Slugs
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm going to get a S&W model 638. aluminum framed stainless "Humpback" Bodyguard J Frame
.38 Special and load it with Glaser Safety Slugs

Great choice in guns, bad choice in ammo.  Shallow penetration.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I never shot one into gelatin or anything else for that matter
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#14]
i'm about to get back into revolvers myself. i've been shopping around and pretty much decided on the S&W titanium centennial. i like the colt d-frames, but they command some pretty outrageous prices, IMO. i haven't been able to find a used model for less than $400. i haven't found one in any condition that i would buy for less than $450. i found one magnum carry with a near $600 price tag.
they're great little wheelguns, but not that much better than the S&W j-frames.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top