Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2006 12:03:32 AM EDT
I just picked up a NIB Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 and am having some problems taking the slide stop out.  Anyone have any tips on mkaing this easier? I can get the stop to push out a fraction of an inch, but its not going near far enough for me to remove the thing.

I'd really prefer to find some way to do it myself before sending it back to the factory
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:08:28 AM EDT
[#1]
its lined up w/ the slide stop take off notch, right?

if its just tight, you can try filing it down, SLOWLY
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:14:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you rotated the bushing and taken tension of the recoil spring and lined up the notch on the slide?   Alot of folks try to take them apart like a glock or beretta with the slide guts all together and that just doesnt work on a 1911.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:21:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Have you rotated the bushing and taken tension of the recoils spring and lined up the notch on the slide?   Alot of folks try to take them apart like a glock or beretta with the slide guts all together and that just doesnt work on a 1911.

what he said.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:11:55 AM EDT
[#4]
RTFM
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:52:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I rotated the bushing out of the way, took the spring and plunger out and lined the slide stop up with the take-down notch (small notch) and the thing still wont budge. I've heard of the filing recommendation, but I'm trying to avoid that so my warranty remains intact.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#6]
put gun back toghter, send 500 bullets down range then try.

Some are tight. I have 2 that require an allen wrench for a little help.

Springfield sometimes puts a detent in there that "locks" the part on the gun  so to speak.

Springfield is verry good with there warrenty dept.  I had sigths milled into my slide added a Dawson mag well a  different trigger, mainsopring housing, a tug guide rod, fillied my slide lock. and they still replaced the frames when they cracked.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#7]
New gun, tight fit.  Tap that sucker out with a rubber mallet a few times (ensuring that the notch in the slide is properly aligned) and it'll loosen up.  I had to tap the take down pins on my AR out with a mallet the first few times.  They push out by hand now.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:03:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I just picked up a NIB Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 and am having some problems taking the slide stop out.  Anyone have any tips on mkaing this easier? I can get the stop to push out a fraction of an inch, but its not going near far enough for me to remove the thing.

I'd really prefer to find some way to do it myself before sending it back to the factory

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but have you removed the magazine before trying to field strip the pistol?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:32:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I would use a brass drift punch and gently hammer on the pin.  Maybe it is fitted from the factory a bit on the tighter side.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I rotated the bushing out of the way, took the spring and plunger out and lined the slide stop up with the take-down notch (small notch) and the thing still wont budge. I've heard of the filing recommendation, but I'm trying to avoid that so my warranty remains intact.

Like another poster asked, is the magazine out?  Also, when you line it up with the take down notch, are you pressing slightly down on the lever as you push out from the other side?  It does take a little dowward pressure to get it out.  That's more difficult when its new but it should go.

If it can wait a week and a half, bring it to the Tactical Response Fighting Pistol class and I'll have a go at it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I had the magazine out. Another forum member (Green) helped me out and I've finally removed the slide stop.  I was lining the front of the slide stop up with the take-down notch, not the rear portion. I appreciate the help from everyone
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You think it's fair to ask SA to warranty a pistol just beucase YOU cannot field strip it?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You think it's fair to ask SA to warranty a pistol just beucase YOU cannot field strip it?

At the time when I thought it was broken (after reviewing countless other people complaining of extremely hard to remove slide stops); yes I do.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

At the time when I thought it was broken (after reviewing countless other people complaining of extremely hard to remove slide stops); yes I do.

I just wanted to point out that "Hard to remove" and "Broken/Bad" are two VERY different things. Hell, many custom shops fit tighter slide stops than a standard production pistol. It provides a more solid lock-up. I would be embarrassed to send in a pistol because I could not field strip it. There are many online guides to field stripping a 1911. Hilton Yam has provided one of the better ones on his website: www.signaturegrade.com.

I suggest you go check it out and follow his instructions.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I would be embarrassed to send in a pistol because I could not field strip it.

- Wouldn't matter to me.  If they sent it back saying it's ok and that I was screwed up, I'd take the hit and drive on.

There are many online guides to field stripping a 1911. Hilton Yam has provided one of the better ones on his website: www.signaturegrade.com.

I suggest you go check it out and follow his instructions.

- I reviewed countless websites and what few manuals I have on the 1911 in an attempt to diagnoss the problem. I certainly dont want to send a weapon off for repair when it isnt needed. That's why I looked at countelss sights and forums for the answer prior to thinking about sending the weapon back to the factory. I was going to give this thread about a week and if I didnt have the issue solved, the weapon was going back.

When it comes to Hilston's site, I've already looked over it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#16]
What exactly is wrong with it? Is it just that the slide stop is tight? Has the pistol been shot yet? If not, I suggest putting five hundred rounds through it immediately. Then follow Hilton’s instructions for fieldstripping.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:33:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What exactly is wrong with it? Is it just that the slide stop is tight? Has the pistol been shot yet? If not, I suggest putting five hundred rounds through it immediately. Then follow Hilton’s instructions for fieldstripping.

I've removed the stop now.  I had the wrong portion of the slide stop lined up with the take-down notch.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've removed the stop now.  I had the wrong portion of the slide stop lined up with the take-down notch.

Thats good news.

I'm glad to see it was just that easy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
put gun back toghter, send 500 bullets down range then try.

+1

That's what Wilson advises with their pistols.... 500-600 downrange before you take it apart. (a wipedown will suffice in the meantime)
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:09:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Funny, I bought 2 matching SA Champ. Gi's
One was a total PITA to get the Slide stop back IN.
take down put back togeater,take down put back togeater,take down put back togeater,take down put back togeater. Now it is "broke in"

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Have you rotated the bushing and taken tension of the recoils spring and lined up the notch on the slide?   Alot of folks try to take them apart like a glock or beretta with the slide guts all together and that just doesnt work on a 1911.

what he said.

I just took my 1911 apart that very way tonight to clean it. Push the slide back until the takedown notch lines up, push the slide stop out and the slide and everything in it slides forward right off the frame!! This technique is covered in 'The Gun Digest Book of The 1911' by Patrick Sweeney on page 66.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I had a tough one some time back. I took a thin screw driver and put a nice radius bend in it. I wrapped some tape around the blade with about 3/16" of the radius bent blade still sticking out. It was easy to "carefully" get behind the slightly raised lever and rock it out without anything touching the slide but the tape. After a couple of disassemblies, it came out like "normal".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top