Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 2:04:11 PM EDT
Here's the story,  A freind of a freind of mine offered to sell me a handgun for way under the retail price.  I do not belive that he has done anything illegal with it but he is not the first owner of it.  He no longer wants it because he decided he no longer wants to own guns of any sort.

Is there anyway I can check to see if a used hundgun is "clean" before I buy it? Say the gun's previous owner used it for a crime, Is there any way I could get into trouble for owning the gun?
Normally I wouldn't bother with a gun I don't know the history of but this is an awsome deal.

Any help would be great.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#1]
ATF used to have a 800 number you could call & run a serial number on their "hot" list. If this is o longer the case, I'd simply draw up a handwritten bill of sale from your "buddy".

What brand, model & price are you talking about here?

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the serial number and give it to the police.  Have them run it through NCIC(National Crime Information Center), and they'll tell you whether or not it has any history.  BTW, if your buddy is getting rid of his guns because he was convicted of a felony, you may not want to buy it.  The number will only show up on NCIC if it has been found by the police(if they're still investigating a crime it was used in, they obviously wouldn't have it in the system).
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#3]
It is a Glock 22 that appears to be in perfect conditon.(I have not fired it yet.)   and he is asking $200 but I think I could talk him down a little.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:20:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It is a Glock 22 that appears to be in perfect conditon.(I have not fired it yet.)   and he is asking $200 but I think I could talk him down a little.

It's HOT for that price.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:26:14 PM EDT
[#5]
That's possible.  Hence the question about checking it to make sure.  Like i said before, I normally would not bother with it but its a hell of a deal. Also  from talking to him I belive that he wants to get rid of it for personel reasons not because he knows its hot. I'm more worried about who owned it before him.

Thanks for the help everyone
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#6]
You could also tell him that you will give him $200 and pay the FFL fees to transfer it at a local dealer.  You could still get a good deal and you would have MUCH more protection in case something is wrong (i.e. the sale would be halted).

shooter
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#7]
That sounds promising. Could you please elaborate on that a little as far as how that process would work?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy it!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Just get a bill of sale. Private sales of firearms is a normal process.

If you are concerned call your local PD and ask if SN is reported lost or stolen.

Woosaa

Ps I own a restaurant. I have a customer that comes in weekly. Gave me a pistol that he no longer wanted. Has grandchildren over and didnt feel comfortable with it in the house. He isnt a "gun" guy, but knew I was. He didnt want to deal with selling it and thought I would give it a good home.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
That sounds promising. Could you please elaborate on that a little as far as how that process would work?  Thanks!

1) Find a gun store
2) Meet there with the guy
3) Ask the FFL if he will do a gun transfer for you which will likely run $15-25.
4) If the FFL doesn't want to do it then pass on the gun.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Get the serial number and give it to the police.  Have them run it through NCIC(National Crime Information Center), and they'll tell you whether or not it has any history.  BTW, if your buddy is getting rid of his guns because he was convicted of a felony, you may not want to buy it.  The number will only show up on NCIC if it has been found by the police(if they're still investigating a crime it was used in, they obviously wouldn't have it in the system).

If you do get the serial number run through NCIC and it comes back with a "hit", be prepared to provide additional info for the pending investigation.  If you know a cop or dispatcher pretty well, they could possibly do you a "favor".  Heck, $200 for a G22 in fair shape is a steal.  If he has anymore he wants to get rid of, just let me know.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:36:37 AM EDT
[#12]
buy it,
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#13]
If it is like new, and you don't want it, I will buy it. Take it to a local FFL and send it to my FFL.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you do get the serial number run through NCIC and it comes back with a "hit", be prepared to provide additional info for the pending investigation.

That was the point!  I have a hunch that this guy has a reason to believe that this weapon was used in one or more crimes, or used by someone who wasn't above using it in a crime.  I wanted someone to run the serial number through NCIC so that if it was used in a crime the guy would get caught.  I don't know why you'd call yourself 'bikecop29' and potentially leave a murderer/robber unpunished.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you do get the serial number run through NCIC and it comes back with a "hit", be prepared to provide additional info for the pending investigation.

That was the point!  I have a hunch that this guy has a reason to believe that this weapon was used in one or more crimes, or used by someone who wasn't above using it in a crime.  I wanted someone to run the serial number through NCIC so that if it was used in a crime the guy would get caught.  I don't know why you'd call yourself 'bikecop29' and potentially leave a murderer/robber unpunished.

No need to get personal.  If you want to play cop on the Internet, why didn't you volunteer to run the serial # through NCIC for him?  Heck, I don't believe everything I see/read here on the Internet.  For all I know, it could be reverse sting to see how many folks will buy a 'hot' weapon.

I've worked my share of murders, have had to look into the eyes of a young girl after being brutally raped and left for dead.  I only quoted your lines so that Code3AK wouldn't be in for a rude awakening if the weapon did come back 'hot'.  For him to be interogated, possibly for hours, for doing the right thing, isn't his just dessert.  I just don't believe in baiting folks.  It was not meant as a personal attack.  If you thought it was, I apologize.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow everyone.  First of all thank you all for your help but this topic sure took a twist didnt it.

I think what I'll do is ask the guy for the SN and tell him I'll run it.  If that scares him I'll know not to bother with it and hopefully never see him again.  If all goes well I'll spend all the money I saved on ammo. :)  

thanks guys.  Code3
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like a good plan, code3ak.  

Bikecop, I did take it personally.  In my eyes what you did was like telling someone to hide their dope before a search(the teachers in a local elementry school are all potheads, but they're given advanced warning before seaches.  I don't know why.).  I understand that you didn't want to leave this guy out in the rain, though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:32:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:36:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
And just how is this going to solve anything.

You could also tell him that you will give him $200 and pay the FFL fees to transfer it at a local dealer. You could still get a good deal and you would have MUCH more protection in case something is wrong (i.e. the sale would be halted).

shooter

The FFL dealer will have no way to check the background of the seller or the legal status of the gun.  The only thing the FFL dealer can do is verify the buyer can take possesion of the firearm.

So just how does this help again?

when they run the serial number its checked against a list, probably ncic, to see if it's stolen.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:35:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Also, it shows a paper trail and an EXACT date as to when he took possesion of the pistol.

If it was used in a crime, he would want to be able to prove that he did not own it when the crime took place.

No "He said' she said" to worry about as to when the transfer took place.

i.e. gun used in crime on May 20, 2005, record of sale on aug 25, 2005, thus new owner did not do it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#21]
No need to get personal.  If you want to play cop on the Internet, why didn't you volunteer to run the serial # through NCIC for him?  Heck, I don't believe everything I see/read here on the Internet.  For all I know, it could be reverse sting to see how many folks will buy a 'hot' weapon.

I've worked my share of murders, have had to look into the eyes of a young girl after being brutally raped and left for dead.  I only quoted your lines so that Code3AK wouldn't be in for a rude awakening if the weapon did come back 'hot'.  For him to be interogated, possibly for hours, for doing the right thing, isn't his just dessert.  I just don't believe in baiting folks.  It was not meant as a personal attack.  If you thought it was, I apologize.

Man I hope all cops are this smart, and this caring.  I would sleep better.  Thanks BikeCop29 Learning
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top