Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 7:04:18 AM EDT
This is my first foray into the 1911 arena. A guy at work wants to sell me a ( this is what he wrote):

Colt Government Model
MK IV Series 70

3 mags. 1 blue Colt, 1stainless Colt, and 1 stainless Randall.

Mods: Mag well beveled, squared trigger gaurd, high profile Bo-Mar sights, Pachmayer grips & mainspring housing, ext. slide release, throated and polished, and the ejection port cut down.

ISBC? holster.

$600.00

Bought in 1982. Around 2000 rounds.

Two questions. Is this price good?, and do you think this gun will reliably fire hollow points with these mods?

As long as i've got a topic started, can someone tell me if you even need hollowpoints in a .45. Is ball ammo sufficent for self defense.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:10:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I would first find out who did the work.  If it is someone reputible then I think it is a good deal.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:52:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Personally I would not, because I am no fan of high-profile sights or squared trigger guards.   There's no way to ugly up a 1911 quicker IMO... though I guess some folks like 'em.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I think it's a decent deal provided the work is well-done.

Don't personally care for squared trigger guards, but you might become used to it.

Hi-mounted Bomar not suitable for carry, but range or HD is fine.  You can perhaps have it low-mounted and dehorned.

The mags may or may not be suitable.  I recommend Wilson, Baer, Novak, or Tripp Research mags for reliability reasons.

The pistol should work OK with JHP and had better work with ball (using good mags).  Clint Smith is a big believer in ball ammo.  I like the ogive on the Golden Sabers, as they feed more like a ball round, but Hydrashocks work well in all my 1911s.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:19:07 AM EDT
[#4]
In regards to the mags, I think Colt factory mags will be the best mags you can get.
I even prefer them to my Wilson mags...

Just my opinion... when I carry my 1911 for real, it always is accompanied by Colt factory mags.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#5]
It all depends on how the custom work was done. I'd try to do a deal that allows you to shoot several hundred rounds of the ammo of your choice and if you return it you get your money back MINUS $50 bucks. I've done that before with good results. Seems to be fair for both seller and buyer.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies. Now I have a few more points to ponder that I hadn't thought of.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:54:54 PM EDT
[#7]
pics?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Buying a 1911 that has been carved on is generally pretty risky, unless of course the work was done by a reputable smith with some sort of documentation to attest to the fact.  JMO & YMMV
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#9]
No pics, and I haven't seen it. Now i'm getting worried. Work was done by the local shop where he purchased it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#10]
cmeyer001 wrote:

In regards to the mags, I think Colt factory mags will be the best mags you can get.
I even prefer them to my Wilson mags...

I like my Colt factory mags, however:

Wilson, Baer and Tripp (cobramag) are much easier to disassemble/reassemble to clean.  A clean mag is a reliable mag.  

I like having a basepad that protrudes slightly (all the aftermarket makes listed above use such basepads) so as to make seating a magazine much more positive.  To add one to a Colt mag or Metalform requires drilling and tapping, then screwing a basepad on (not good experience with this), or gluing one on (the glue method doesn't work so well, either).

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#11]
no way.a FRIEND want to screw i mean sell you a 24 year old 1911 thats been "wrenched "on my the local gunsmith.you can get a nice brand new in the box 1911 for that!no way

if hes such a friend the rice should be more like 450 maby 475.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Ask to bring it to the range and try it out...with him present, of course.

I've seen ratty guns that looked like they were built in a backyard, but could shoot the tits off a fly and was as reliable as hell with all sorts of mags and ammo types.

Or ask for a 3 day non-firing inspection and get it checked out, one or the other...

Just cause it was worked on by a local smith does NOT mean it was butchered in any way

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top